UK EU Referendum

It's on

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UK EU Referendum

#4281  Postby Alan B » Oct 20, 2016 7:43 pm

United Kingdom? What's that?

It'll go the same way as Great Britain.

We'll have to invent a new name. Any suggestions?

If we actually leave, will we have to drag the remaing two kicking 'n screaming with us?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4282  Postby mcgruff » Oct 20, 2016 7:50 pm

"Poundland"
mcgruff

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4283  Postby Alan B » Oct 20, 2016 7:54 pm

:this:
That about sums it up.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4285  Postby Byron » Oct 20, 2016 9:04 pm

ronmcd wrote:Interestingly, I think in the 2014 referendum everyone (for different reasons) wanted to avoid talking about this point. The UK govt wanted to say LA LA LA NOT LISTENING LOOK OUR LAWYERS SAY WE'RE CONTINUING STATE and the Scottish govt wanted to keep it in their back pocket for the negotiations. Because the whole currency/oil/debts/assets discussion becomes very interesting in a legal and practical sense when Scotland is breaking a union of equals compared to leaving a continuing state.

The argument may resurface soon.

Welcome to Scotland and England, the two newest permanent members of the U.N. Security Council. :lol:
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#4286  Postby ronmcd » Oct 21, 2016 10:00 am

EU leaders make Theresa May wait until 1am to give five-minute Brexit speech, before ignoring her

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 73076.html

EU leaders made Theresa May wait until 1am to deliver her message that Britain will not change its mind about Brexit - and gave her just five minutes to speak, before ignoring her speech.

At a Brussels dinner, the Prime Minister was made to wait until “long after the waiters were waiting to clear the dishes away”, one observer said.

No other leader spoke in response to Ms May’s brief speech – a united front reflecting the EU’s refusal to start exit negotiations until the formal Article 50 notice is invoked, early next year.

Donald Tusk, the European Council President, had urged all the other leaders to stay silent, because formal talks must not begin until that two-year process is underway.
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4287  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 21, 2016 11:02 am

Just a taste of what's up ahead.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4288  Postby Alan B » Oct 21, 2016 12:54 pm

Yeah. It's fuck you, UK. Piss off.

It's our fucking club, you play by our rules!

At the moment I can't see anything that we (the UK) can hold over them.

And if we decide that Brexit is a 'no-go' and we want to remain, what will be the attitude of the rest of the EU? Do you think they will welcome us with open arms?
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4289  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 21, 2016 1:04 pm

Nope. Anyway you look at it it going to cost something. These tory tantrums are going to cost the UK dearly IMHO.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4290  Postby Pulsar » Oct 21, 2016 1:52 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/21/theresa-may-uk-centre-of-european-decision-making-until-brexit

May: UK will remain at centre of EU decision-making until Brexit

Prime minister angers European leaders at first EU summit by saying Britain wants to maintain central role until it leaves

Theresa May has angered European leaders by telling her first EU summit that she expects Britain to be at the centre of European decision-making until Brexit takes place.

In a brief speech at the end of an EU dinner in Brussels, the prime minister said Britain wanted to continue to play a central role in meetings and decisions until it leaves the EU.

The speech angered fellow leaders, according to Manfred Weber, leader of the Christian Democrats in the European parliament. He said: “When somebody wants to leave a club, it is not normal that such a member wants to decide about the future of this club. That is really creating a lot of anger about the behaviour of the British government. If you want to leave please do so, but don’t decide for the European Union.”
"The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time." - George Bernard Shaw
Pulsar

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4291  Postby Alan B » Oct 22, 2016 7:46 am

And then, after Brexit?

You'll just be treated like any other forrin country - no extra club perks.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4292  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 22, 2016 9:21 am

I entirely agree. If you are definitely leaving you should have no say over the future of the club.

The CENTA troubles are just typical of what will happen with any agreement made with the UK. It has taken 7 years to get within 5 cms of the winning line and one local government throws a spanner in the works. I hope the UK now realises what problems it will have to get any agreement especially with so many hostile countries to speak to. At least in CENTA everybody wanted to work for the agreement. The stupid Wallonians wanted to get the last drop out of the bottom out of the can but now they have the got the lid on their nose (an old Dutch saying).

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4293  Postby mrjonno » Oct 22, 2016 9:27 am

But the EU is so undemocratic surely Merkel runs it
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4294  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 22, 2016 9:37 am

mrjonno wrote:But the EU is so undemocratic surely Merkel runs it

Just proves once again how very democratic it is.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4295  Postby ronmcd » Oct 22, 2016 11:14 am

Hahahaha. To quote Pete Wishart SNP MP: "As well as taking us out against our will they want to put in place a scorched earth policy so we can't stay in"

THE UK Government might seek to block any second Scottish independence referendum taking place until after the UK leaves the European Union in 2019, Whitehall sources have suggested.

They have said that it would be “a nightmare” for Theresa May and her ministers to have to negotiate the multiple complexities of Brexit with Brussels and simultaneously fight another Scottish campaign and, if there were a Yes vote, then conduct a whole raft of complicated negotiations with Edinburgh.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1481 ... l_sources/
ronmcd

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#4297  Postby mrjonno » Oct 22, 2016 11:49 am

ronmcd wrote:Hahahaha. To quote Pete Wishart SNP MP: "As well as taking us out against our will they want to put in place a scorched earth policy so we can't stay in"

THE UK Government might seek to block any second Scottish independence referendum taking place until after the UK leaves the European Union in 2019, Whitehall sources have suggested.

They have said that it would be “a nightmare” for Theresa May and her ministers to have to negotiate the multiple complexities of Brexit with Brussels and simultaneously fight another Scottish campaign and, if there were a Yes vote, then conduct a whole raft of complicated negotiations with Edinburgh.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1481 ... l_sources/

That's the general idea, try to leave an integrated European Union from a position of strength while your own countrymen are trying to split from you. The EU will struggle to negotiate as everyone will be too busy laughing at us
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4298  Postby Galactor » Oct 22, 2016 12:43 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I entirely agree. If you are definitely leaving you should have no say over the future of the club.

The CENTA troubles are just typical of what will happen with any agreement made with the UK. It has taken 7 years to get within 5 cms of the winning line and one local government throws a spanner in the works. I hope the UK now realises what problems it will have to get any agreement especially with so many hostile countries to speak to. At least in CENTA everybody wanted to work for the agreement. The stupid Wallonians wanted to get the last drop out of the bottom out of the can but now they have the got the lid on their nose (an old Dutch saying).

Surely you can argue just as easily that the chance of a UK-Canada agreement foundering would be extremely unlikely and would have succeeded! From which you can argue that the EU is a monolithic trading block that can be hamstrung by minorities within. People like David Davies will be crowing about how much easier it will be for Britain to negotiate with countries like Canada, far more quickly and with far less chance of failure.

Sure, it is feasible that "stupid" minorities in the EU will veto agreements with the UK in which case they will indeed be cutting off their noses to spite their faces while - as a Brexiteer will no doubt argue - the UK can get on forging agreements with other nations in a faster tempo and with less chance of breakdown.

I'm not sure Scot Dutchy has made any real case for the difficulties of Brexit.
Galactor

Name: Graeme
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4299  Postby mrjonno » Oct 22, 2016 12:49 pm

Whether parts of Belgium should be able to veto a major trade agreement is arguable but it sure isn't undemocratic something that the UK kept on moaning about
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4300  Postby Galactor » Oct 22, 2016 12:58 pm

Alan B wrote:Yeah. It's fuck you, UK. Piss off.

It's our fucking club, you play by our rules!

At the moment I can't see anything that we (the UK) can hold over them.

And if we decide that Brexit is a 'no-go' and we want to remain, what will be the attitude of the rest of the EU? Do you think they will welcome us with open arms?

If the economic crisis is over and if there is a reasonable upturn in the coming years and if Europe can stave off the anti-UK parties in the coming elections of 2017 (which will, no doubt, be very informative and decisive for the policies and messages from Downing Street), the UK is, I suspect, in danger of real economic hardship.

Europe does not need the UK and it will have two years to find ways to plug the holes that the UK will leave.

The UK may have difficulties doing the same and will end up having, ironically, financial immigration by proxy - cheap foreign labourers working from their home base, financially out-competing folk on the Mersey and Tyne. Don't be surprised if our policies towards China, Russia and Saudi Arabia become very soft and placatory as Brexit takes form.

The only hope I have, as Brexit draws on, is that either Europe becomes threatened internally such that Britain gets her way on immigration and there is a turnaround to modify treaties to everyone's liking or that the complexities and dangers of Brexit become so overwhelming leading to a reversal. The former is unlikely I think. Here in Holland, the idea of leaving the EU is a dead dog. The latter - who knows? It doesn't seem too fantastic.
Galactor

Name: Graeme
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs