UKIP watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UKIP watch

#541  Postby ED209 » Oct 14, 2014 3:48 pm

You only have to read the post you quote to see that he voted for a tory party.
It's been taught that your worst enemy cannot harm you as much as your own wicked thoughts.
ED209

Print view this post

#542  Postby mrjonno » Oct 14, 2014 3:49 pm

I voted Lib Dem too last election!!,, can I have the Strontium Dog love to get me to return to the bosom of Nick Clegg next election
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#543  Postby Strontium Dog » Oct 14, 2014 4:00 pm

mrjonno wrote:I voted Lib Dem too last election!!,, can I have the Strontium Dog love to get me to return to the bosom of Nick Clegg next election

I think we have to accept that some sheep are forever lost to the herd :lol:
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#544  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
mrjonno wrote:I voted Lib Dem too last election!!,, can I have the Strontium Dog love to get me to return to the bosom of Nick Clegg next election

Well next time almost the whole flock will be missing. Poor Bo-Peep. :waah:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#545  Postby mrjonno » Oct 14, 2014 4:14 pm

Well to be fair, if its a choice between UKIP and the Lib Dem's I guess its the Lib Dem's
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#546  Postby Strontium Dog » Oct 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Hey, I voted for a Marxist Labour candidate a few years ago. You can only choose from what you're offered.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#547  Postby The Hanging Monkey » Oct 14, 2014 5:43 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
The Hanging Monkey wrote:Indeed, one wonders what a Lib Dem policy is? Obviously they can't be taken at their word.

I was inexplicably 84% Lib Dem.

As if I'd ever vote for those lying scumbags again.

Having read lots of your posts here, I'm staggered that you ever voted for a liberal party.

I didn't, I voted for some lying scumbags who just happened to have the word "liberal" in their name.

Presumably my posts are "illiberal" then? Care to show me an example?
The Hanging Monkey

Name: Michael
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#548  Postby Evolving » Oct 14, 2014 7:47 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
jez9999 wrote:
ED209 wrote:There will be a scottish debate. This just means the snp, the UK's third largest party - second in scotland of course, and set to do very well indeed - is represented in just one out of four debates to be screened there. I don't see how that can possibly be defensible.

Secondly, and not unconnected to the above, they most certainly aren't third in terms of vote share. They came sixth, well behind UKIP and even behind the BNP.

I think unwittingly you have demonstrated the nub of the Independance issue. This is precisely why nearly half of us feel that we would be better off alone, because our voice is drowned out and mariginalised by sheer weight of numbers.

I understand that about seven eighths of the UK population is in England.

The remaining eighth is not one nation, but several which have, in practice, little in common beyond not being English.

Isn't it obvious that the one eighth needs protection against the seven eighths, but the seven much less against the one? Not to imply that the seven eighths are malicious in intent, but simply that they have too much on their minds, mostly, to consider the effect of what they do on that eighth.

This is why the West Lothian question, the suggestion for English regional parliaments, the idea that only English MPs should vote on purely English matters, all that is just silly, it seems to me. The UK works fine for England; it's the minorities who need some safeguards.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#549  Postby Strontium Dog » Oct 14, 2014 8:01 pm

The Hanging Monkey wrote:I didn't, I voted for some lying scumbags who just happened to have the word "liberal" in their name.

I thought liars were people who tell lies.

The Hanging Monkey wrote:Presumably my posts are "illiberal" then? Care to show me an example?

If general opposition to the living embodiment of liberalism isn't enough, just pick one at random.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#550  Postby THWOTH » Oct 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

Bah!
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#551  Postby The Hanging Monkey » Oct 14, 2014 9:19 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
The Hanging Monkey wrote:I didn't, I voted for some lying scumbags who just happened to have the word "liberal" in their name.

I thought liars were people who tell lies.

The Hanging Monkey wrote:Presumably my posts are "illiberal" then? Care to show me an example?

If general opposition to the living embodiment of liberalism isn't enough, just pick one at random.

You can't, in other words.

It's beyond me why you think you'll get away with posting such utter shite here. It's embarrassing.

If you could "pick one at random" to illustrate your point, it should be dead easy to find an example....in your own time...
The Hanging Monkey

Name: Michael
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#552  Postby jez9999 » Oct 15, 2014 2:03 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
jez9999 wrote:
ED209 wrote:There will be a scottish debate. This just means the snp, the UK's third largest party - second in scotland of course, and set to do very well indeed - is represented in just one out of four debates to be screened there. I don't see how that can possibly be defensible.

Secondly, and not unconnected to the above, they most certainly aren't third in terms of vote share. They came sixth, well behind UKIP and even behind the BNP.

I think unwittingly you have demonstrated the nub of the Independance issue. This is precisely why nearly half of us feel that we would be better off alone, because our voice is drowned out and mariginalised by sheer weight of numbers.

Either that or you should try and integrate better with the rest of the UK. You equate being "drowned out" with "not getting things 100% your own way", which is puerile bullshit. Sorry, but Scotland gets relatively large amounts of attention. You don't hear this endless whinging from other UK regions like the north-east or east anglia, even though they aren't exactly "in the spotlight" of politics either.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#553  Postby chairman bill » Oct 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:If general opposition to the living embodiment of liberalism isn't enough, just pick one at random.

This is such bollocks. The LibDems are not the living embodiment of liberalism, and it's a fucking stupid claim to make.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#554  Postby mrjonno » Oct 15, 2014 2:45 pm

The LibDems are not the living embodiment of liberalism

There are really living never mind the embodiment of anything, just a patient that has been brain dead for 4 years waiting for a doctor to switch off life support and put the Lib Dem's out of their (and my) misery
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#555  Postby electricwhiteboy » Oct 16, 2014 11:38 am

jez9999 wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:
jez9999 wrote:

Either that or you should try and integrate better with the rest of the UK. You equate being "drowned out" with "not getting things 100% your own way", which is puerile bullshit. Sorry, but Scotland gets relatively large amounts of attention. You don't hear this endless whinging from other UK regions like the north-east or east anglia, even though they aren't exactly "in the spotlight" of politics either.

Pipe down and go away Scotland, UKIP get a seat at the table because we want to sway their voters because they are a greater proportion through the rest of the UK. That is precisely being drowned out is, that's precisely what marginalised is.

Here's another clue for you, we aren't a region, not constitutionally, not legally, not historically. We entered a political Union about a thousand years after the Kings of England stopped squabbling amongst each other. Many of us feel both British and Scottish, but we have our own national identity, we're not North Britons. Should independence occur in my lifetime I will remain British as I will still live on this island and share a language and many other cultural aspects with the other residents on this island, I will simply not be a citizen of the UK. As long as people view England and Britain as being synonymous, as long as the UK is viewed as one homogeneous lump and all the other patronising “know your place jock” bawbaggery continues an ever deeper wedge will be driven into the Union.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#556  Postby mrjonno » Oct 16, 2014 11:53 am

Culturally you can be English (through I don't think their is specific English culture), Welsh, Scottish, Martian whatever that's fine

But we are all citizens of just one country the UK, there is no such thing as a English or Scottish citizen. Governments don't exist for cultures they exist for citizens
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#557  Postby DaveScriv » Oct 16, 2014 1:07 pm

mrjonno wrote:Culturally you can be English (through I don't think their is specific English culture), Welsh, Scottish, Martian whatever that's fine

But we are all citizens of just one country the UK, there is no such thing as a English or Scottish citizen. Governments don't exist for cultures they exist for citizens

I entirely agree with you doubting the existence of a specific English culture. Differences you've mentioned before, such as rich v poor, rural v city, etc., are often much more significant then any general English v Scottish v Welsh (& don't even mention NI when it comes to 'cultural differences' :crazy: ) differences.
DaveScriv

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#558  Postby jez9999 » Oct 16, 2014 2:03 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
jez9999 wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:
jez9999 wrote:

Pipe down and go away Scotland, UKIP get a seat at the table because we want to sway their voters because they are a greater proportion through the rest of the UK. That is precisely being drowned out is, that's precisely what marginalised is.

Here's another clue for you, we aren't a region, not constitutionally, not legally, not historically. We entered a political Union about a thousand years after the Kings of England stopped squabbling amongst each other. Many of us feel both British and Scottish, but we have our own national identity, we're not North Britons. Should independence occur in my lifetime I will remain British as I will still live on this island and share a language and many other cultural aspects with the other residents on this island, I will simply not be a citizen of the UK. As long as people view England and Britain as being synonymous, as long as the UK is viewed as one homogeneous lump and all the other patronising “know your place jock” bawbaggery continues an ever deeper wedge will be driven into the Union.

I don't think I was talking about the UK as "one homogeneous lump", but yeah if you want to characterize what I was saying as "know your place" then fair enough. You don't deserve special treatment just because you have a regional identity. You're just like any other region. Look at other medium-to-large countries and try and find one that has a region so fucking privileged and self-obsessed as Scotland is to the UK. No, most regions get on with being part of their country and are happy. You guys just seem to have an attitude problem.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#559  Postby electricwhiteboy » Oct 16, 2014 2:38 pm

jez9999 wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:
jez9999 wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:

I don't think I was talking about the UK as "one homogeneous lump", but yeah if you want to characterize what I was saying as "know your place" then fair enough. You don't deserve special treatment just because you have a regional identity. You're just like any other region. Look at other medium-to-large countries and try and find one that has a region so fucking privileged and self-obsessed as Scotland is to the UK. No, most regions get on with being part of their country and are happy. You guys just seem to have an attitude problem.

Repeated as it seems to have wizzed over your head.

"Here's another clue for you, we aren't a region, not constitutionally, not legally, not historically. We entered a political Union about a thousand years after the Kings of England stopped squabbling amongst each other."
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#560  Postby mrjonno » Oct 16, 2014 2:54 pm

"Here's another clue for you, we aren't a region,

Strange I remember Scotland having a referendum on the matter and by voting no that is exactly what you remain a region of the UK like Cornwall, London or Wales
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs