UKIP watch

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: UKIP watch

#561  Postby Sendraks » Oct 16, 2014 3:00 pm

Scotland is not a "region" of the UK.
Neither is Wales.

Cornwall is a county in the south west region of England.

London is a City. Greater London is a metropolitan borough. It is also considered to be a region for various administrative purposes.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#562  Postby mrjonno » Oct 16, 2014 3:06 pm

My house is many things but it is also a region of the UK, what is certainly isn't is a independent nation
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#563  Postby Sendraks » Oct 16, 2014 3:09 pm

mrjonno wrote:My house is many things but it is also a region of the UK, what is certainly isn't is a independent nation

Over the past week you've been posting a lot of stuff that I actually agreed with and seemed quite sensible. I was beginning to worried you'd been replaced by an imposter.

So I'm reassured to know that you're still you and still living in the whacky reality that is "Jonnoworld" (tm).
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#564  Postby mrjonno » Oct 16, 2014 3:12 pm

Like most things in life politics often comes down to definitions, my definition of a region of the UK is basically anywhere within its borders that is not an independent nation whether its a county, a city , my office or house so unless London declares itself an independent country and gets recognised by the UN everywhere bar the Republic of Ireland is a region of the UK within the British Isles
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#565  Postby Sendraks » Oct 16, 2014 3:16 pm

Basic, rules of civil discourse Jonno, we use agreed definitions. Not any and all random definitions anyone chooses to make up.

So your definition carries exactly jack all weight in terms of this discussion. You're wrong. Deal with it.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#566  Postby mrjonno » Oct 16, 2014 3:21 pm

If no one defines a word I'm going to use mine (most words have multiple meanings, in politics even more so)
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#567  Postby Sendraks » Oct 16, 2014 3:28 pm

mrjonno wrote:If no one defines a word I'm going to use mine (most words have multiple meanings, in politics even more so)

I don't think anyone here is fooled into thinking you were trying to be anything but derogatory to Scotland with the use of the word "region."

Basically you're use of the word region to mean "almost fucking anywhere" is just a cop out and poor response to being called out on an error.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#568  Postby mrjonno » Oct 16, 2014 3:38 pm

I wasn't remotely being derogatory to Scotland unless you think saying its not an independent country ie a region is derogatory.

Birmingham, London and Scotland are all regions of the UK and if I was doing to be derogatory about one of them it wouldn't be Scotland
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#569  Postby Sendraks » Oct 16, 2014 3:54 pm

mrjonno wrote:Birmingham, London and Scotland are all regions of the UK and if I was doing to be derogatory about one of them it wouldn't be Scotland

No they are not.
Scotland is a country. A country which is a member of the UK.
London is a city. Greater London is a region.
Birmingham is a city in the region of the West Midlands (I think).

Seriously, you apply the use of the word "region" with the same degree of rigour I've come to expect from the wooheads who abuse the word atheist when they visit this place.

If you wanted to talk about Scotland as a region, then the following would be more appropriate.
"Scotland is a country that occupies the northern region of the British Isles."

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#570  Postby mrjonno » Oct 16, 2014 4:09 pm

The concept of a 'country' is hardly has a clear and simple definition, a region of the UK is far less open to debate
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#571  Postby jez9999 » Oct 16, 2014 4:34 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:Repeated as it seems to have wizzed over your head.

"Here's another clue for you, we aren't a region, not constitutionally, not legally, not historically. We entered a political Union about a thousand years after the Kings of England stopped squabbling amongst each other."

I don't give a shit, I'm calling you a region, just like I call Brittany a reigon of France, Galicia a region of Spain, Sicily a region of italy, and so on and so forth. Whether or not you were historically a country, you long since joined into a full political union with the rest of the UK to avoid financial ruin and have done very well out of it, being happy to remain a regional part of that union until a few decades ago when nationalist partisan politics for some reason decided to come out of the woodwork. I honestly wonder what percentage of Scots in 1950 would've considered Scotland a "country".

Sendraks wrote:Scotland is not a "region" of the UK.

It is if I call it a region.

What makes a region and what makes a country are 100% subjective. If not, please give objective critera as to how one determines which is which (I will provide counter-examples for anything you give, by the way).
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#572  Postby mrjonno » Oct 16, 2014 6:00 pm

What makes a region and what makes a country are 100% subjective. If not, please give objective critera as to how one determines which is which (I will provide counter-examples for anything you give, by the way).

You have no idea how much I hate to agree with anyone who supports UKIP but Scotland had a chance to be a separate country and chose to be part of the nation the UK
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#573  Postby Sendraks » Oct 16, 2014 6:26 pm

jez9999 wrote:
It is if I call it a region.

You go for it. I'm sure it'll be every bit as impressive as when the cretinists fuck engage in dishonest discourse.

mrjonno wrote:Scotland had a chance to be a separate country and chose to be part of the nation the UK

Scotland is both a separate country and part of the UK.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#574  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 17, 2014 7:50 am

It is not a separate country and a small agreement of 1707 made sure it became one country with England.

Until the region of Scotland gets independence it will remain a region of the UK.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#575  Postby mrjonno » Oct 17, 2014 8:36 am

There are only two real types of nations, politically independent ones and occupied ones.

Scotland is neither
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#576  Postby Corneel » Oct 17, 2014 11:50 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:It is not a separate country and a small agreement of 1707 made sure it became one country with England.

Until the region of Scotland gets independence it will remain a region of the UK.

mrjonno wrote:There are only two real types of nations, politically independent ones and occupied ones.

Scotland is neither

The world disagrees with both of you:
American Heritage Dictionary: Scot·land
A constituent country of the United Kingdom comprising the northern part of the island of Great Britain as well as the Hebrides, Shetland Islands, and Orkney Islands.

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: Scotland
Northernmost country of the United Kingdom.

Oxford Dictionary of Celtic Mythology: Scotland
Constituent country of the United Kingdom, occupying 30,405 square miles in northern Great Britain.

Wikipedia: Scotland
Scotland (Scottish Gaelic: Alba (Scottish Gaelic: [ˈal̪ˠapə] ( listen)) is a country that is part of the United Kingdom.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#577  Postby Sendraks » Oct 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Corneel - you're wasting your time. They're not interested in a serious discussion, they'd rather employ the same kind of dishonest, evasive, bullshit we see from religious types on these forums. They will twist and turn the meaning of words every which way they can, rather than express any sort of humility and admit to being wrong.

No point in discussion, they won't listen to anything outside of their echo chambers.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#578  Postby Corneel » Oct 17, 2014 1:28 pm

Sendraks wrote:Corneel - you're wasting your time. They're not interested in a serious discussion, they'd rather employ the same kind of dishonest, evasive, bullshit we see from religious types on these forums. They will twist and turn the meaning of words every which way they can, rather than express any sort of humility and admit to being wrong.

No point in discussion, they won't listen to anything outside of their echo chambers.

I know, but sometimes the urge to correct the Tweedledumb and Tweedledim of ratskep gets the better of me...
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#579  Postby Scot Dutchy » Oct 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Why does it have a regional council?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#580  Postby Sendraks » Oct 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Why does it have a regional council?

Which one? Scotland has a number of regional councils.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs