Ukraine Crisis

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Ukraine Crisis

#2321  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 10, 2023 1:41 am

Technically, it was an angry bull that launched Bugs Bunny into the air, so it's far more credible!

This then is video evidence that the West is at war with Russia.

Sorry, couldn't find an appropriate place in this response to call you an idiot or challenge your possession of testicles. Let's just pretend I did.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2322  Postby Fenrir » Sep 10, 2023 2:23 am

It's funny how when you frame the issue as dishonestly as possible you can convince yourself a theatre full of children is a legitimate military target.

No. Actually it isn't. Not funny at all.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#2323  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 10, 2023 4:34 am

Ukraine is west of Russia, ergo the West is at war with Russia.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2324  Postby Agi Hammerthief » Sep 10, 2023 8:27 am

at least Russia has some fighter jets to spare for Myanmar.
* my (modified) emphasis ( or 'interpretation' )
Agi Hammerthief

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#2325  Postby Alan C » Sep 10, 2023 6:38 pm

No SU-57s though, they aren't making many of those.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2326  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 30, 2023 9:11 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Unfortunately, that phase seems to indicate a long haul. Until Putin dies or is overthrown, I don't see this war ending. From Putin's perspective, he believes that all he really needs do is dig in and wait, and eventually the 'weak' democratic systems of the West will elevate a PM more amenable to Russia, most likely by undermining support to Ukraine. Ukraine simply cannot accept a status quo peace with a significant portion of their territory and citizens annexed, nor can they surrender given the genocidal rhetoric and actions Putin's administration have engaged in.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66973976

US Congress poised to narrowly avert government shutdown with just hours to go

It was backed by more Democrats than Republicans, with as many as 90 Republicans voting against it.

The move was a blow to a small group of right-wing Republicans who have held up negotiations in the chamber with unyielding demands for spending cuts.

However, with a majority of lawmakers keen to avert a shutdown, one of the faction's key demands - no more US funding for Ukraine's defence against its invasion by Russia - is reflected in the bill.

How fucking embarrassing that Jewish Space Laser Lady is not just holding the US to ransom for the sake of her fuckwitted ideology, but that people will actually die because of it. Can't say anything else as it will just be a stream of obscenity.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#2327  Postby Tortured_Genius » Sep 30, 2023 11:25 pm

On the upside it's only no new funding for 45 days, so doesn't stop the aid already committed.

Which means another 45 days of political posing delivered in the form of weird fantasy performance art.

Meanwhile the world looks on and wonders how the flying fuck the Screaming Jesus Clown Car Posse wield so much power to cause more damage to the USA, its military, its people, its allies and "the West" in general than the combined might of all America's adversaries.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2328  Postby Alan C » Oct 01, 2023 5:43 pm

They should not only have not been paid during a shutdown caused by them, they should have been fined. It's their fucking job.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2329  Postby Alan C » Oct 12, 2023 8:03 am

It looks a lot like Russia is playing silly buggers with a gas pipeline and cables between Estonia and Finland, just inside Finland's EEZ too. Might want to watch out for that article 5 thing perhaps?
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2330  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 01, 2023 11:12 pm

Although unconnected with the Ukraine War, I've just found another example of the hilarity that ensues when the Russians go to war ... courtesy of this video clip:

The Storozhevoy incident is a comedy of errors on a grand scale, as the video quickly reveals.

Have fun counting the cock ups involved :)

In the light of incidents like this, it doesn't surprise me that the Russians ended up being bogged down in Ukraine in a war of attrition that they may well lose in humiliating fashion ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2331  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 24, 2023 4:45 pm

Unintended consequences part 789:

Ukraine was already an aerospace developer, but the war has accelerated Ukrainian defence tech development to warp speed, especially in the fields of cheap drone and unmanned vehicle technology.

It's obvious propaganda, but the implications of this film I found unnerving with its demonstration of things like $22,000 machine-gun armed remote controlled vehicles. In theory, any of this stuff could be knocked up in an industrial unit or garage.

None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2332  Postby tuco » Nov 30, 2023 9:30 pm

Struggle for resources
When Ukrainians say that we need more weapons, the West often thinks that it is a sign of ingratitude.
In fact, Ukrainians are grateful, but there is another side - how many weapons your enemy supplies to the front.
This thread will explore this topic 1/

https://x.com/Volodymyr_D_/status/1724037799832113235
tuco

Print view this post

#2333  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 06, 2023 9:06 pm

Meanwhile ... remember me mentioning smekalka in an earlier post in this thread?

It's now putting in a direct appearance in the Ukraine War ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2334  Postby Alan C » Dec 07, 2023 9:56 am

:lol: :lol:
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2335  Postby Alan C » Dec 10, 2023 6:43 am

One point I've seen raised by a few military pundits is that West should have the messaging and intent that Ukraine needs to win, not just defend itself but to win. I'm not sure has any Western leader, with the capability to contribute, actually done this?
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2337  Postby Alan C » Dec 10, 2023 7:45 am

Ah yes now I remember Boris did publicly sound quite bullish when he was there. Has the Biden administration at any time said they must win. They've said they're with Ukraine 'as long as it takes' but don't recall anything more than that.
Of course, the clown car that is the house GOP isn't helping here.

p.s. Is the forum running a bit slow for anyone else?
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#2338  Postby Seabass » Dec 12, 2023 1:47 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#2339  Postby tuco » Dec 15, 2023 10:53 pm

Scholz gets Orbán out the room to open Ukraine’s membership talks - https://www.politico.eu/article/olaf-sc ... ion-talks/

gg Scholz grats Ukraine
tuco

Print view this post

#2340  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 16, 2023 4:53 pm

Apparently the latest trick the Russians have devised, is to try and stop Neptune or Storm Shadow missiles from destroying their long range bombers, by covering said bombers in car tyres.

There is, of course, a possibility that this trick might interfere with imaging infra red detectors enough to throw the missiles off target. But I suspect the missiles will already have enough processing power to deal with, say, camouflage netting, and overcoming this won't require a significant upgrade.

Will this turn out to be another instance of smekalka? Only time will tell.

Video:

Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs