Andrew4handel's Musings on Atheism

Several Merged Threads

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: No Alternative to God

#41  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 8:24 am

Andrew4Handel wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:The universe is quite capable of making itself.

Show me a cake that has made itself..

False analogy; a cake is not a universe.

Andrew4Handel wrote:Utter rubbish...

Yep, it's because you fail repeatedly at logic.

Andrew4Handel wrote:I am 100% NOT AN UNDEFRCOVER THEIST i'D ADMITT IT AT THE DROP OF A HAT IF I WERE.

Every one of your posts says otherwise.

Andrew4Handel wrote:drunk but no theist.

Drunk? What pointless hedonism you indulge in. Why not go out and get involved with a charity instead of indulging your morose sophistry?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#42  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 8:25 am

Andrew4Handel wrote:
I am not lying to myself about logic like you.

You can't lie about something you are not aware of.

Andrew4Handel wrote:i understand that everything needs a cause...

Theistic assertion.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 8:27 am

Andrew4Handel wrote:Absolutely no alternative to a deity has been presented.

Full stop.

You're talking out the wrong end of your body again.

Let's recap - your inability to perform logic is not representative of the range of possibilities.

Andrew4Handel wrote:You think otherwise?

You are fooling yourselves.

Remind us again how you're an atheist.... troll.

Andrew4Handel wrote:it doesn't mean you have to consider yourself a sinner and start repenting...Just stop promoting NIHILISTIC atheism.

You are the only person I have ever seen pretending that atheism equates to nihilism - it's your strawman, we're not promoting your illogical conclusion drawn from an inability to think rationally.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby hackenslash » Feb 05, 2011 8:28 am

Andrew4Handel wrote:There is no alternative explanation for the existence of reality.

You're still labouring under the illusion that reality owes you an explanation.

Noone has presented a genuine alternative except ignorance.

Ignorance isn't an alternative, god is ignorance, and the acceptance of ignorance and, as The Blue Wingéd One would say, the elevation of ignorance to the level of a metaphysic. It is total satisfaction with having no explanation whatsoever.

Don't come around here touting god as an explanation. It explains precisely fuck all.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#45  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 8:29 am

Andrew4Handel wrote:
CookieJon wrote:Well apart from the fact that alternatives have been presented, why do you assume that if nobody did know of any alternative there isn't one?

Do we really need to explain a false dichotomy to you, or are you just taking the piss?

The Big bang explains the origin of being?

Excuse me whilst I piss myself laughing at the inadequacy of this answer...

I have a feeling that pissing yourself is about the most productive manner in which you've approached this question.

What caused god?

Can't answer?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#46  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 8:32 am

Andrew4Handel wrote:
CookieJon wrote:You said everything has a cause, as if you know. I simply asked what the cause of God is.

Why can't you answer?

How the F**ck am I supposed to know the cause of god? Why don't you ask him?

The cause of God is absolutely NO LESS problematic than the cause of the universe they are equal problems EQUAL!!!

:oops: :roll: :?

:lol:

Logic fail AGAIN!

You assert that the universe can't possibly exist without a cause presumably because it is complex, so you insert a vastly more complex being to explain it away (ignorance) and then don't hold your imagined being up to the same criteria you demand of the universe which manifestly does exist.

Your inability to produce logic is the biggest hurdle to your comprehension. The solipsism kicks in then and comforts you that because you think fluffy, incompetent thoughts, everyone else has to as well.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#47  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 8:34 am

AndrewWorld

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#48  Postby NineOneFour » Feb 05, 2011 8:34 am

I've NEVER been THAT drunk.
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#49  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 05, 2011 8:41 am

What is the sound of a theist's mind breaking? :ask:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby byofrcs » Feb 05, 2011 8:48 am

Toilet flush ?
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#51  Postby jaygray » Feb 05, 2011 8:59 am

Andrew4Handel wrote:Absolutely no alternative to a deity has been presented.

Full stop.

You think otherwise?

You are fooling yourselves.

it doesn't mean you have to consider yourself a sinner and start repenting...Just stop promoting NIHILISTIC atheism.

You go first: How about you stopping the promotion of genocide? :coffee:
'Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history - revisionist historians is what I like to call them.' - George W. Bush
jaygray

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby CookieJon » Feb 05, 2011 9:02 am

I was intrigued by Andrew's nosedive in one page from a statement about god, to a confession that he feels guilty when he maturbates.

Considering his contribution in this thread, though, I agree he ought to feel real guilty.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#53  Postby NineOneFour » Feb 05, 2011 9:04 am

CookieJon wrote:I was intrigued by Andrew's nosedive in one page from a statement about god, to a confession that he feels guilty when he maturbates.

Considering his contribution in this thread, though, I agree he ought to feel real guilty.

You are intrigued rather easily. :grin:
Citizen of the (future) People's Social Democratic Republic of Cascadia.
cascadianow.org

For help managing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), go here. I am able to manage it, and so can you.
NineOneFour

Name: Yes, I'm an asshole.
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#54  Postby CookieJon » Feb 05, 2011 9:05 am

NineOneFour wrote:
CookieJon wrote:I was intrigued by Andrew's nosedive in one page from a statement about god, to a confession that he feels guilty when he maturbates.

You are intrigued rather easily. :grin:

It's a blessing.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Animavore » Feb 05, 2011 9:27 am

There's been alternatives for thousands of years. Like this one, for example.

Reflecting a common understanding of the Buddha's earliest teachings, Nyanaponika Thera asserts:

From a study of the discourses of the Buddha preserved in the Pali canon, it will be seen that the idea of a personal deity, a creator god conceived to be eternal and omnipotent, is incompatible with the Buddha's teachings. On the other hand, conceptions of an impersonal godhead of any description, such as world-soul, etc., are excluded by the Buddha's teachings on Anatta, non-self or unsubstantiality. ... In Buddhist literature, the belief in a creator god (issara-nimmana-vada) is frequently mentioned and rejected, along with other causes wrongly adduced to explain the origin of the world.

In addition, nowhere in the Pali Canon are Buddhas ascribed powers of creation, salvation and judgement. In fact, Buddhism is critical of all theories on the origin of the universe and holds the belief in creation as a fetter binding one to samsara. However, the Aggañña Sutta does contain a detailed account of the Buddha describing the origin of human life on earth. In this text, the Buddha provides an explanation of the caste system alternate to the one contained in the Vedas, and shows why one caste is not really any better than the other. According to scholar Richard Gombrich, the sutta gives strong evidence that it was conceived entirely as a satire of pre-existing beliefs, and he and scholar David Kalupahana have asserted that the primary intent of this text is to satirize and debunk the brahminical claims regarding the divine nature of the caste system, showing that it is nothing but a human convention. Strictly speaking, the sutta is not a cosmogony, as in Buddhism, an absolute beginning is inconceivable. Since the earliest times Buddhists have, however, taken it seriously as an account of the origins of society and kingship. Gombrich, however, finds it to be a parody of brahminical cosmogony as presented in the Rig Vedic "Hymn of creation" (RV X, 129) and BAU 1, 2. He states: "The Buddha never intended to propound a cosmogony. If we take a close look at the Aggañña Sutta, there are considerable incoherencies if it is taken seriously as an explanatory account - though once it is perceived to be a parody these inconsistencies are of no account." In particular, he finds that it violates the basic Buddhist theory of how the law of karma operates. However, scholar Rupert Gethin strongly disagrees, stating

While certain of the details of the Aggainia-sutta's account of the evolution of human society may be, as Gombrich has persuasively argued, satirical in intent, there is nothing in the Nikayas to suggest that these basic cosmological principles that I have identified should be so understood; there is nothing to suggest that the Aggafinia-sutta's introductory formula describing the expansion and contraction of the world is merely a joke. We should surely expect early Buddhism and indeed the Buddha to have some specific ideas about the nature of the round of rebirth, and essentially this is what the cosmological details presented in the Aggafifia-sutta and elsewhere in Nikayas constitute ... far from being out of key with what we can understand of Buddhist thought from the rest of the Nikayas, the cosmogonic views offered by the Aggañña Sutta in fact harmonize very well with it . .I would go further and say that something along the lines of the Aggañña myth is actually required by it.

In Buddhism, the focus is primarily on the effect the belief in theories of creation and a creator have on the human mind. The Buddhist attitude towards every view is one of critical examination from the perspective of what effect the belief has on the mind and whether the belief binds one to samsara or not.

The Buddha declared that "it is not possible to know or determine the first beginning of the cycle of existence of beings who wander therein deluded by ignorance and obsessed by craving." Speculation about the origin and extent of the universe is generally discouraged in early Buddhism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Bud ... f_creation

I presume when the OP asks for an alternative what he's really asking is is there a spiritual alternative and not a percieved atheist nihilism.
Apologies in advance if wrong.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 9:37 am

1) Life without gods is meaningless.

2) Materialism is the alternative to believing in a deity.

3) Life in a materialistic perspective has no point.

4) Gods are required to explain the nature of reality.

5) I am an atheist

Which is the odd one out?
Last edited by Spearthrower on Feb 05, 2011 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Arkleseizure

#57  Postby jaygray » Feb 05, 2011 9:43 am

I don't why the OP is getting so steamed: The answer is obvious to everyone.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKi-l6Cb-_0[/youtube]
'Now, there are some who would like to rewrite history - revisionist historians is what I like to call them.' - George W. Bush
jaygray

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby paceetrate » Feb 05, 2011 9:55 am

Andrew4Handel wrote:

Show me a cake that has made itself..

I'll do you one better and show you particles that make themselves.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang ... r_noth.php

I'm no quantum physicist, I'm not even that well read of a layman on the subject, but what I've taken away from what I have read is that the idea of true "nothing" is just a human-made concept. Even if you were to remove all the matter from a area, say inside a bell jar, particles would still be winking in and out of existence inside it entirely of their own accord.

Does that make intuitive sense? No. Why should it? We're bipedal, pedomorphic apes. Our jerry-rigged brains were evolved to run down antelope and find water and make babies. Why the hell should the fine workings of the Universe make sense to us? Insisting that X didn't happen because it doesn't make sense to you, and that Y must have happened instead because that does make sense to you, when X has evidence and Y does not, is both ignorant and juvenile. Just because you've never seen anything in your tiny, limited existence pop into being, doesn't mean particles can't. It's about as self-centered as insisting that no atheist could be happy if you aren't. Seems to be a bit of a running theme in these threads.
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby OlivierK » Feb 05, 2011 10:06 am

hackenslash wrote: as The Blue Wingéd One would say

[pet peeve]
Wingèd, not Wingéd, hack.
[/pet peeve]

I'd post something on topic, but there's no point really.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#60  Postby trubble76 » Feb 05, 2011 10:25 am

Andrew4Handel wrote:

Show me a cake god that has made itself..

Utter rubbish...

I am 100% NOT AN UNDEFRCOVER THEIST i'D ADMITT IT AT THE DROP OF A HAT IF I WERE.

drunk but no theist.

My alteration.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism