Andrew4handel's Musings on Atheism

Several Merged Threads

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: No Alternative to God

#61  Postby byofrcs » Feb 05, 2011 10:43 am

Spearthrower wrote:1) Life without gods is meaningless.

2) Materialism is the alternative to believing in a deity.

3) Life in a materialistic perspective has no point.

3) Gods are required to explain the nature of reality.

4) I am an atheist

Which is the odd one out?

You have two x option 3).
What do I win ?
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 11:26 am

byofrcs wrote:
You have two x option 3).
What do I win ?

GAH! Edited!

You win... half a dollop of meaning, and 2 quarts of 'point to existence'... congratulations! :dance:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#63  Postby chairman bill » Feb 05, 2011 11:57 am

I can't be arsed to plough through four pages, so apologies if this has already been said

Andrew4Handel wrote:The alternative to god/s is nothing.
No. Simply wrong. There's a whole cosmos out there. That isn't nothing.

Andrew4Handel wrote:There is no alternative explanation for the existence of reality.
There are gaps in our knowledge. Only a complete cunt would claim to know everything, and confidently assert that there is only one possible explanation for the cosmos; god.

Andrew4Handel wrote:Noone has presented a genuine alternative ...
Not yet, maybe. Have some fucking patience, for fuck's sake!

Andrew4Handel wrote:... except ignorance.
You'd know all about that. Well done.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#64  Postby tytalus » Feb 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Andrew4Handel wrote:
CookieJon wrote:You said everything has a cause, as if you know. I simply asked what the cause of God is.

Why can't you answer?

How the F**ck am I supposed to know the cause of god? Why don't you ask him?

The cause of God is absolutely NO LESS problematic than the cause of the universe they are equal problems EQUAL!!!

:oops: :roll: :?

Dude, if you're going to accuse the forum membership of being guilty wankers you can spell out 'fuck'. Sheesh.

So you've gone from 'no alternative to god' to the creator-god concept being just as problematic and no solution at all. Even William Lane Craig could see this problem quicker...it's why he dwells on what 'began to exist' to try to give his god a free pass.

So after all of this, what is Andrew, undercover? Theist? Atheist? ...wanking? Who knows.
Futurama wrote: Bender: Dying sucks butt. How do you living beings cope with mortality?
Leela: Violent outbursts.
Amy: General slutiness.
Fry: Thanks to denial, I'm immortal.
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#65  Postby iamthereforeithink » Feb 05, 2011 5:23 pm

It's quite evident that Andrew is a theist of some sort, probably a deist. I wonder what's up with all the denial? Is the intention just something like - "Hey guys, I'm just like you, so don't be too hard on me?" Personally, I would respect an honest and straightforward theist more than a dishonest atheist.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#66  Postby virphen » Feb 05, 2011 5:33 pm

iamthereforeithink wrote:It's quite evident that Andrew is a theist of some sort, probably a deist. I wonder what's up with all the denial? Is the intention just something like - "Hey guys, I'm just like you, so don't be too hard on me?" Personally, I would respect an honest and straightforward theist more than a dishonest atheist.

It might screw up a miraculous & dramatic "conversion"?

Having said that I don't think there's real evidence of dishonesty here... just a lot of confusion and addled thinking. Rather, at least enough evidence of the latter to give Andrew the benefit of the doubt on the former.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby timtom » Feb 05, 2011 5:45 pm

IT'S TRUE! PRAISE HIS NOODLENESS!!
timtom

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#68  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 5:52 pm

virphen wrote:
iamthereforeithink wrote:It's quite evident that Andrew is a theist of some sort, probably a deist. I wonder what's up with all the denial? Is the intention just something like - "Hey guys, I'm just like you, so don't be too hard on me?" Personally, I would respect an honest and straightforward theist more than a dishonest atheist.

Having said that I don't think there's real evidence of dishonesty here... just a lot of confusion and addled thinking. Rather, at least enough evidence of the latter to give Andrew the benefit of the doubt on the former.

Just as one example from this thread Virphen:

Andrew4Handel wrote:Absolutely no alternative to a deity has been presented.

Full stop.

You think otherwise?

You are fooling yourselves.

How can someone be an atheist and at the same time think that there is no alternative to a deity? It's just diametrically opposed, like drowning from dehydration.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby virphen » Feb 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
How can someone be an atheist and at the same time think that there is no alternative to a deity? It's just diametrically opposed, like drowning from dehydration.

I saw that, and the others, but a mind that can rationalise sterilisation of the entire species as moral can hold all sorts of whacky, contradictory and confused views. It doesn't make him necessarily a liar. I am not saying he is definitely an atheist, just that there is still room for some benefit of the doubt to be given.

And as I would take it as an insult if you called me a theist, it's not too far-fetched to consider saying it of Andrew a personal attack.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#70  Postby Thommo » Feb 05, 2011 5:58 pm

virphen wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

I saw that, and the others, but a mind that can rationalise sterilisation of the entire species as moral can hold all sorts of whacky, contradictory and confused views. It doesn't make him necessarily a liar. I am not saying he is definitely an atheist, just that there is still room for some benefit of the doubt to be given.

And as I would take it as an insult if you called me a theist, it's not too far-fetched to consider saying it of Andrew a personal attack.

"... He loved Big Brother."
Thommo

Print view this post

#71  Postby tytalus » Feb 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Spearthrower wrote:How can someone be an atheist and at the same time think that there is no alternative to a deity? It's just diametrically opposed, like drowning from dehydration.

Oh, you think you're so smart...

Australian professional swimmer almost drowns due to dehydration

Her hand was up, about two feet under water so I was able to reach down and grab her and pull her up,” he went on to say. “She gasped for air. We finally got her into the boat and she just passed out. So I don’t think she was coming back up.”

Brookes-Peterson was eventually revived without serious injury but had suffered from dehydration and exhaustion during the race according to published reports. It was the quick action of Walker that saved her life.
Futurama wrote: Bender: Dying sucks butt. How do you living beings cope with mortality?
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 6:07 pm

tytalus wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:How can someone be an atheist and at the same time think that there is no alternative to a deity? It's just diametrically opposed, like drowning from dehydration.

Oh, you think you're so smart...

Australian professional swimmer almost drowns due to dehydration

Her hand was up, about two feet under water so I was able to reach down and grab her and pull her up,” he went on to say. “She gasped for air. We finally got her into the boat and she just passed out. So I don’t think she was coming back up.”

Brookes-Peterson was eventually revived without serious injury but had suffered from dehydration and exhaustion during the race according to published reports. It was the quick action of Walker that saved her life.

Reality has no meaning for me any more! Anything is clearly possible! :confused:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#73  Postby redwhine » Feb 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
virphen wrote:

Just as one example from this thread Virphen:

Andrew4Handel wrote:Absolutely no alternative to a deity has been presented.

Full stop.

You think otherwise?

You are fooling yourselves.

(MY bold.)

Saying that no alternative has been presented is not the same as stating there is no alternative.

[/devil's advocate.]
Like BEER? ...Click here!

What do I believe?

Atheism is myth understood.
redwhine

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Ubjon » Feb 05, 2011 6:27 pm

Andrew4Handel wrote:The alternative to god/s is nothing.

There is no alternative explanation for the existence of reality.

Noone has presented a genuine alternative except ignorance.

:nono:

When will theists realise that their God is devoid of any explanatory power?

When will theists and many other people besides realise that there is nothing wrong with admitting ignorance?
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 05, 2011 6:28 pm

redwhine wrote:
Saying that no alternative has been presented is not the same as stating there is no alternative.

[/devil's advocate.]

Everyone's being so pedantic tonight! :lol:

I think it's clear he means in general rather than in this thread.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#76  Postby Davian » Feb 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Andrew4Handel wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote:So...therefore god?

What is the other option? A universe and reality that mysteriously creates itself for no reason?<snip>

So this god you imagine - how would you demonstrate that it cares about you and adds that meaning your life that you need so badly?
"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
- Bertrand Russell
Davian

Name: Davian
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Andrew4Handel » Feb 05, 2011 7:17 pm

I don't have direct evidence of God and his/her character and traits. But I Just know a materialist non created purposeless universe intuitively doesn't make sense.

I don't understand cancer that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or have a cure or explanation. You can derive valid inferences from existence without full explanations. A creatorless meaningless purposeless universe does not seem like a valid inference from the complex multifarious phenomenal evidence.

I think a meaniningless coincidental universe is pointless and can be percieved as so easily despite the occassional pleasent distraction like the countryside and handel and bach and cathedral which does not compensate for mortality and the deficiencies of the human body.

Buddhism and reincarnation..possibly..Our genes are apparently reincarnations.
Andrew4Handel

Print view this post

#78  Postby Ubjon » Feb 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Andrew4Handel wrote:I don't have direct evidence of God and his/her character and traits. But I Just know a materialist non created purposeless universe intuitively doesn't make sense.

I don't understand cancer that doesn't mean it doesn't exist or have a cure or explanation. You can derive valid inferences from existence without full explanations. A creatorless meaningless purposeless universe does not seem like a valid inference from the complex multifarious phenomenal evidence.

I think a meaniningless coincidental universe is pointless and can be percieved as so easily despite the occassional pleasent distraction like the countryside and handel and bach and cathedral which does not compensate for mortality and the deficiencies of the human body.

Er no :scratch:
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#79  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Andrew4Handel wrote:I don't have direct evidence of God and his/her character and traits. But I Just know a materialist non created purposeless universe intuitively doesn't make sense.

You just know, huh? As others don't seem to share your hangup, what reason we have to suppose it is anything more than just that? Certainly no evidence, as you've stated.

It's true, but they have to be valid. Without any evidence, your view is certainly not validated. You simply can't (or won't) believe that it could be otherwise. That's the problem.

I think a meaningless coincidental universe is pointless and can be percieved as so easily despite the occassional pleasent distraction like the countryside and handel and bach and cathedral which does not compensate for mortality and the deficiencies of the human body.

So you feel that the universe not having an inherent meaning would invalidate any sort of meaning you've gleaned from anything? Or, as you seem to be saying, a universe not made by god so obviously makes sense that it can't possibly be right? :ask: You admit your crutch, while claiming that walking with a crutch is the only way to move.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#80  Postby tytalus » Feb 05, 2011 7:34 pm

And if I 'just know' that god doesn't exist and that you're wrong, how do we decide? Fucking thumb wrestle? :lol: Sorry, but your intuition fails on spec. As would mine -- which is why I don't use it to try to demonstrate claims.

The lack of a creator, of meaning, of purpose are evident and are not inferred or assumed to be. The skeptic need not (and I do not) believe in these things. I haven't found any of these, so I get by without them. That is all.
tytalus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism