Go to Church on Sunday, June 24th

...and be friendly (just this once)

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Go to Church on Sunday, June 24th

#21  Postby pelfdaddy » Jan 24, 2012 4:56 am

Many who participate here are fortunate not to live in the cold shadows of fang-like steeples that dominate the smalltown skylines of America.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 24, 2012 4:59 am

pelfdaddy wrote:Many who participate here are fortunate not to live in the cold shadows of fang-like steeples that dominate the smalltown skylines of America.

Right... but I am surrounded by temples where orange-clad beggars go out every morning, and people wake up a 4am to cook food to dish out to the passing monks. I can also sometimes here the call to prayer wafting in my window from the mosque a few roads up.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby pelfdaddy » Jan 24, 2012 5:03 am

Sounds peaceful. They have no hell, no bluegrass gospel music...
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Xeno » Jan 24, 2012 5:35 am

Spearthrower wrote:Surely this is only of any value in the theocratically inclined states of the USA? ... Where else might this have any value aside from the USA? Some parts of Australia?
Perhaps, although here a combination of churches and belief (rather than one or the other) tends to happen in pockets rather than generally. Those areas where belief is strong seem unlikely to welcome atheists, and I find it hard to disagree with them.

If I were out with friends and a mormon turned up saying "hi, I'm here to show I am normal and you have to live with us" then it is possible I would be impolite; in fact, yes, I would.
sinisterly annoying theists
Xeno

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#25  Postby quixotecoyote » Jan 24, 2012 5:54 am

Oldskeptic wrote:I just want people to stop believing in stupid shit when the evidence goes against stupid shit.

Congratulations, you're now preaching atheism.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Jan 24, 2012 6:11 am

Oldskeptic wrote:And just to clarify my position I think that billboards and bus signs are stupid ideas also. I think that spreading atheism is a fucked up notion. You can't preach atheism, it just happens. And I don't really care if anyone becomes an atheist. I just want people to stop believing in stupid shit when the evidence goes against stupid shit.

I can't help agreeing with this sentiment. There is a fundamental level at which we do not really choose what we believe. We cannot persuade them to become atheists any more than they can persuade us to become theists. The best we can do is make a compelling argument for consistent application of standards for evidence. The rest is up to them.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby pelfdaddy » Jan 24, 2012 11:32 am

I find nothing with which to disagree, yet no reason to stop promoting this point of view either. We atheists keep complaining about the effects of faith in this world while stating that there is nothing we can do about it. Meanwhile we conduct arguments on forums like this one and analyze the latest debate. We say that people cannot be made to change their minds, yet we go on to say "all you can do is...(insert action designed to produce an effect)...and the rest is up to them".

Is everyone here just wasting their time? Probably not.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Xeno » Jan 24, 2012 11:52 am

pelfdaddy wrote:I find nothing with which to disagree, yet no reason to stop promoting this point of view either. We atheists keep complaining about the effects of faith in this world while stating that there is nothing we can do about it.
Not something I said. I am disagreeing about what to do.

Meanwhile we conduct arguments on forums like this one and analyze the latest debate. We say that people cannot be made to change their minds
Too general. Some, including most theists who come to atheist forums (and vice versa I expect) will not change their minds. That does not make it true of the general population of people who are substantially uncommitted, whatever their nominal position.

That is one reason I am more interested in those people who do not go to church. Here, only about 7-8% of the population do.
sinisterly annoying theists
Xeno

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Agrippina » Jan 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Just a question. Why not start a world-wide rational secular organization to which people can belong and where people can meet on a regular basis to discuss whatever it is that rational skeptics talk about, an anti-church as it were?
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Fallible » Jan 24, 2012 12:11 pm

quixotecoyote wrote:
Oldskeptic wrote:I just want people to stop believing in stupid shit when the evidence goes against stupid shit.

Congratulations, you're now preaching atheism.

I don't make even that demand on people. I simply wish to be what I am without harassment, and without the stupid shit that people believe in creeping its way into areas other than the believers' brains.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby les5f » Jan 24, 2012 12:14 pm

Agrippina wrote:Just a question. Why not start a world-wide rational secular organization to which people can belong and where people can meet on a regular basis to discuss whatever it is that rational skeptics talk about, an anti-church as it were?

Could a collective of people who have a common shared non-belief, qualify as a religion?

need to be careful
les5f

Print view this post

#32  Postby trubble76 » Jan 24, 2012 12:17 pm

I wish you luck in your endeavour but I will not be participating. Firstly, I'm generally unpleasant and would therefore be an unsatisfactory example of atheism. Secondly, I wouldn't want to waste my Sunday. Thirdly, I live in a country with a general expectation of atheism (even if it is not called that), I don't think I would have much impact at all. Forthly, one of the things I dislike the most about religion is the proselytizing so I would be loathe to do anything similar.

Having said that, I do think it likely that churches in some areas would get real value from a "Meet an Atheist Day" mainly to dispel some of the stupid beliefs held about us.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. :cheers:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby twistor59 » Jan 24, 2012 12:33 pm

Agrippina wrote:Just a question. Why not start a world-wide rational secular organization to which people can belong and where people can meet on a regular basis to discuss whatever it is that rational skeptics talk about, an anti-church as it were?

As long as I get to choose the anti-hymns !!
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Agrippina » Jan 24, 2012 12:36 pm

We could play Black Sabbath music.:lol:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Agrippina » Jan 24, 2012 12:38 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRhZISswW_k[/youtube]
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Agrippina » Jan 24, 2012 12:39 pm

les5f wrote:

Could a collective of people who have a common shared non-belief, qualify as a religion?

need to be careful

Don't call it a religion, call it a movement ( and no, before someone says it, not a "bowel" movement).
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#37  Postby LarianLeQuella » Jan 24, 2012 12:41 pm

Skeptics in the pub?
LarianLeQuella

Name: Jan Stephan Lundquist
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby Agrippina » Jan 24, 2012 12:49 pm

LarianLeQuella wrote:

Skeptics in the pub?

I think that our differences are really the thing that divides us to the extent that we aren't seen as something other than some "loonies" who hate everything and who mock everything. We need to find the thing that brings us together and concentrate on that rather than the things that we disagree about.

And I don't think Richard Dawkins should be held up as the high priest.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#39  Postby LarianLeQuella » Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm

Agrippina wrote: I think that our differences are really the thing that divides us to the extent that we aren't seen as something other than some "loonies" who hate everything and who mock everything. We need to find the thing that brings us together and concentrate on that rather than the things that we disagree about.

In my opinion, I think that tends to be the external view of atheists and freethinkers. Every time I get together with folks, we're usually laughing it up and having a jolly good time. Which may be the whole idea behind this event. To dispell that sort of negative image.

Agrippina wrote:And I don't think Richard Dawkins should be held up as the high priest.

Wasn't aware there even was such a position, let alone anyone in it. 8-)
LarianLeQuella

Name: Jan Stephan Lundquist
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Agrippina » Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm

LarianLeQuella wrote:
Agrippina wrote: I think that our differences are really the thing that divides us to the extent that we aren't seen as something other than some "loonies" who hate everything and who mock everything. We need to find the thing that brings us together and concentrate on that rather than the things that we disagree about.

In my opinion, I think that tends to be the external view of atheists and freethinkers. Every time I get together with folks, we're usually laughing it up and having a jolly good time. Which may be the whole idea behind this event. To dispell that sort of negative image.

Agrippina wrote:And I don't think Richard Dawkins should be held up as the high priest.

Wasn't aware there even was such a position, let alone anyone in it. 8-)

The believers I talk to say that he is the "High Priest" of atheism, of course I always tell them they're mistaken, that is my position. Self-appointed of course. :whistle:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism