Why not pray for self improvement? Placebos work regardless.

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why not pray for self improvement? Placebos work regardless.

#61  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 18, 2016 7:27 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Rubbish. Either they were bullshitting about the years of pain, or they're bullshitting about the instant relief from it.

Curious how each and every one of these "miracles" fails to involve, say, lung cancer. Yet, we still have oncologists.

Like I said, remove the ambiguity, and prayer does nothing.

I’m an ex-Pentecostal and my congregation wouldn’t lie to save their life. I also emphasized that most of the cures could be easily ascribed as originating from a psychosomatic cause. Minor medical problems can be explained by will power alone, and as I previously mentioned, the correlation of a TENS unit to flood pain gates with too much information is a possibility, or it’s also possible, (I just don’t know), that the brain of the ‘cured’ person releases opioids to dull and/or remove the pain.

In addition, there were also psychological problems that were also cured in an instant.

These types of healings were not a one-off; I saw them happen over a period of many years.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#62  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 18, 2016 7:31 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:I’ve seen prayer work first-hand on many, many occasions and the cure was lasting.

I've seen anecdotes first-hand. I still don't accept them as evidence for anything beyond humankind's natural gifts for bias, rationalizing, and confabulating.

Well I do have first-hand knowledge of these ‘miracles’, but as you’ve stated, that is nowhere near the entry level of proof.

The problem here (from an atheist’s POV), is that logic, reasoning and an intellectual discussion of why religion is bunk will fall on deaf ears when the person has ‘proof positive’ of God’s healing powers. If one has endured years of pain and then in an instant God heals them, they are not about to turn their back on God.

If they denounce God then they’ll go back to having that pain since they only received their ‘cure’ through the Grace of God and by having unshakeable faith in Him. (A technical note: actually it was Jesus that did it since He was our advocate for God.)

Religious fanatics (I was once one) are a very hard nut to crack because they have ‘living proof’ (in their eyes) that God is real and present in their lives.

I'm married to a devoutly religious woman. I understand the extent to which rampant confirmation bias can have religious people ascribing all sorts of coincidences and human efforts to divine intervention. This tendency toward rampant confirmation bias weakens, and does not strengthen, your position when you say things like, "I’ve seen prayer work first-hand on many, many occasions and the cure was lasting."

No, you most likely have not. You have seen lucky coincidences and/or human efforts attributed to divine intervention, and you have fallen victim to the same confirmation bias when you forgot the misses. I'm not talking about proof. I'm talking about evidence from a reasonable and fairly applied standard for evidence. There isn't even any evidence, let alone proof, that prayer does anything, when one works to avoid bias. And if prayer only works when you're biased, then it probably does not work at all.

A coincidence would only be once in awhile, or sporadic at best. I witnessed far too many ‘cures’ to ascribe it to coincidence.

As far as your misses is concerned, I don’t know to what degree her religious belief takes her, but the criteria for receiving healing is extremely high. It is not handed to one on a silver platter. It takes years of dedication and service (plus faith that could move a mountain) before one can even hope for a (so-called) cure.

I don’t want to preach so I won’t list the criteria.

I also said up-thread:

Well I do have first-hand knowledge of these ‘miracles’, but as you’ve stated, that is nowhere near the entry level of proof.

I’m not trying to say that I have proof and/or evidence that would withstand even the mildest examination; however, I am saying that I’ve seen these cures with my own eyes far too many times to discount that they don't work (regardless of the reason or mechanism behind them).
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#63  Postby John Platko » Feb 18, 2016 8:59 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
I've seen anecdotes first-hand. I still don't accept them as evidence for anything beyond humankind's natural gifts for bias, rationalizing, and confabulating.

The problem here (from an atheist’s POV), is that logic, reasoning and an intellectual discussion of why religion is bunk will fall on deaf ears when the person has ‘proof positive’ of God’s healing powers. If one has endured years of pain and then in an instant God heals them, they are not about to turn their back on God.

If they denounce God then they’ll go back to having that pain since they only received their ‘cure’ through the Grace of God and by having unshakeable faith in Him. (A technical note: actually it was Jesus that did it since He was our advocate for God.)

Religious fanatics (I was once one) are a very hard nut to crack because they have ‘living proof’ (in their eyes) that God is real and present in their lives.

I'm married to a devoutly religious woman. I understand the extent to which rampant confirmation bias can have religious people ascribing all sorts of coincidences and human efforts to divine intervention. This tendency toward rampant confirmation bias weakens, and does not strengthen, your position when you say things like, "I’ve seen prayer work first-hand on many, many occasions and the cure was lasting."

No, you most likely have not. You have seen lucky coincidences and/or human efforts attributed to divine intervention, and you have fallen victim to the same confirmation bias when you forgot the misses. I'm not talking about proof. I'm talking about evidence from a reasonable and fairly applied standard for evidence. There isn't even any evidence, let alone proof, that prayer does anything, when one works to avoid bias. And if prayer only works when you're biased, then it probably does not work at all.

A coincidence would only be once in awhile, or sporadic at best. I witnessed far too many ‘cures’ to ascribe it to coincidence.

As far as your misses is concerned, I don’t know to what degree her religious belief takes her, but the criteria for receiving healing is extremely high. It is not handed to one on a silver platter. It takes years of dedication and service (plus faith that could move a mountain) before one can even hope for a (so-called) cure.

I don’t want to preach so I won’t list the criteria.

I also said up-thread:

I’m not trying to say that I have proof and/or evidence that would withstand even the mildest examination; however, I am saying that I’ve seen these cures with my own eyes far too many times to discount that they don't work (regardless of the reason or mechanism behind them).

I've been given a very similar defense of astrology.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 18, 2016 9:06 pm

John Platko wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:

This suggests that more that coincidence is afoot.

It really does not.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 18, 2016 9:35 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

It really does not.

I loved :heart: this comment:

I totally believe God spoke the Universe into existence, whether that was a bang or totally silent, we do not know. I don't really care if it made noise or not. "Bang" is an onomatopoeia that implies noise or sound, which is not known.

I will offer up a pseudo-prayer for that poster. :pray:

O Lord, please lead you dumb and misguided servant to a bookstore, any book store and let him pick out a fundamental physics book, but especially one about cosmology, its history and development.

And guide him to Hoyle (not the playing cards) so he will see his silly response and be shammed amongst his peers.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#66  Postby John Platko » Feb 18, 2016 9:49 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

It really does not.

Well you may be right this time, Thomas.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Science Proves the Healing Power of Prayer

Does seem to go further than a suggestion. I stand corrected. :cheers:
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Skinny Puppy » Feb 18, 2016 10:02 pm

John Platko wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:

It really does not.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

That article is, um, a wee bit biased,

“Studies have shown prayer can prevent people from getting sick — and when they do get sick, prayer can help them get better faster,” Duke University’s Harold G. Koenig, M.D., tells Newsmax Health.

And who is the good doctor?
http://www.spiritualityandhealth.duke.edu/index.php/harold-g-koenig-m-d

I only went that far… I’m sure the rest of the article will contain no surprises, and of course, be totally biased-free.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#68  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 18, 2016 10:27 pm

John Platko wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:
ScholasticSpastic wrote:

It really does not.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Your vapid trolling aside, the article neither demonstrates it's more than coincidence/a suggestion, nor an actual causal link.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#69  Postby John Platko » Feb 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:

It really does not.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

That article is, um, a wee bit biased,

“Studies have shown prayer can prevent people from getting sick — and when they do get sick, prayer can help them get better faster,” Duke University’s Harold G. Koenig, M.D., tells Newsmax Health.

And who is the good doctor?
http://www.spiritualityandhealth.duke.edu/index.php/harold-g-koenig-m-d

Drilling down

Harold G. Koenig, M.D.

Director, Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health
Professor of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Associate Professor of Medicine
Duke University Medical Center
Adjunct Professor, Department of Medicine, King Abdulaziz University
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Adjunct Professor, Department of Public Health, Ningxia Medical University
Yinchuan, People's Republic of China

Curriculum Vitae

Speaking Engagements

B.S. Stanford University
R.N. San Joaquin Delta College
M.D. University of California at San Francisco
M.H.Sc. Duke University

Looks pretty impressive to me. UCSF is a top medical school.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#70  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 18, 2016 10:54 pm

No conflict of interest there, eh? Director, Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health, writing an article about how useful prayer is.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 19, 2016 5:35 am

Indeed a devoutly Christian professor from a Methodist, private institute. Who can't distinguish between poor correlation and causation.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#72  Postby John Platko » Feb 19, 2016 1:24 pm

The_Metatron wrote:No conflict of interest there, eh? Director, Center for Spirituality, Theology and Health, writing an article about how useful prayer is.

I could understand how an MD who observes that the healing power of prayer is an under tapped resource decides to direct his energy helping people tap it.

In any case, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand how this works.

As the good doc explains. For some people, religion provides a way to cope with illness.

Having a way to cope reduces stress. And stress is a killer. Which even an atheist like Sapolsky will tell you:

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby The_Metatron » Feb 19, 2016 3:22 pm

Whatever you have to tell yourself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby John Platko » Feb 19, 2016 3:32 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Whatever you have to tell yourself.

It's something like that.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 19, 2016 4:16 pm

John Platko wrote:

Nothing like what you originally tried to insinuate however.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#76  Postby John Platko » Feb 19, 2016 4:35 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:

I'm not trying to insinuate anything, Thomas, I'm spelling it out.

Religious practices helps many cope with difficult and very stressful situations. Stress has be scientifically demonstrated to be harmful to health - in many many ways. Therefore, religious practice (i.e. praying, etc., etc.) can improve the health of those who engage in it in a way that helps them reduce their stress - no woo and/or wibble about it!
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 19, 2016 5:26 pm

John Platko wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:

Same difference, you were still mistaken.

John Platko wrote:Religious practices helps many cope with difficult and very stressful situations. Stress has be scientifically demonstrated to be harmful to health - in many many ways. Therefore, religious practice (i.e. praying, etc., etc.) can improve the health of those who engage in it in a way that helps them reduce their stress - no woo and/or wibble about it!

Believing you will get better helps. Breathing exercises help Christian prayer, Buddhist mantras etc, don't.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#78  Postby John Platko » Feb 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
John Platko wrote:

Same difference, you were still mistaken.

John Platko wrote:Religious practices helps many cope with difficult and very stressful situations. Stress has be scientifically demonstrated to be harmful to health - in many many ways. Therefore, religious practice (i.e. praying, etc., etc.) can improve the health of those who engage in it in a way that helps them reduce their stress - no woo and/or wibble about it!

Believing you will get better helps. Breathing exercises help Christian prayer, Buddhist mantras etc, don't.

And what happens if Christian prayer or Buddhist mantras help you believe? Or help you relax?

I'm not just talking about reducing stress by believing you'll get better. :nono: That may be part of it but I'm talking about reducing stress by letting go of worries over what you cannot control. Taking some of the responsibility you may be feeling for things you have no control over off your shoulders and giving that responsibility to a higher power. That can help reduce stress too. And reducing stress tends to increase your health - in lots of ways, e.g. your immune system tends to function better.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 19, 2016 6:07 pm

I doesn't matter what you wamt to waffle about. Prayer does not work.
Its not divine intervention or support, its believing you will get better. The prayer part is completely superfluous.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#80  Postby tolman » Feb 19, 2016 6:37 pm

John Platko wrote:Religious practices helps many cope with difficult and very stressful situations.

Religious practices and prejudices also cause many very difficult and stressful situations.

When people pray and get no better, do they blame god[s], or blame themselves for being unworthy?
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Nontheism