Philosoblog

Anything and all things

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Philosoblog

#621  Postby BWE » Dec 11, 2017 5:01 am

lol. You'll just have to wonder I guess.
BWE

Print view this post

#622  Postby BWE » Dec 11, 2017 5:08 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
BWE wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
BWE wrote:I leave your assessment of me to you.

You said you wrote a book about it. To me, that was one of the most interesting things I've ever seen you write, here.

You're saying I need to up my game?

I dunno, BWE. It would seem there's more than a few people who find the level of discourse about this kind of stuff in this kind of forum so compelling that they're going to collect the ideas they come up with and write a book. There's something pathetic about that, because they seem to think their position is being tested by reading different opinions from anonymous sources. What I'm hoping is that you're not one of those. It's not that I can't imagine you have identified a theme, and all. What really helps in this context is for you to cite anyone else who's thinking about the same sorts of things, so we can at least guess at what you've written your book about. If all you can cite are the opinions you've read online, then we know which sort of author you are. You could always write a book about something in which you have real expertise, but maybe you don't have that much going, there. The bald fact that you've written a book about it (so you say) is empty boasting when you never write anything more cogent than the stuff you've written in this thread. Go read the way Spinozasgalt writes about philosophy on those rare occasions when she gets serious. It's as if she's read stuff by somebody other than anonymous shitheads online. Just for the record, I'm generally writing much more in your vein than I am in hers, which is why I find something funky about your claim. At least I see the difference.

Just saw your ETA addition to this post. My heady days are over since I had a serious illness a few years ago. Lost a significant amount of both mental capacity and give a shit all in the same round. It's unlikely you'll ever see me write something deeply cogent on this forum or at least any more cogent than what I normally post. I hope that's acceptable to you. However, I am fairly well read beyond just forum posts. :)
BWE

Print view this post

#623  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 11, 2017 5:10 am

BWE wrote:Just saw your ETA addition to this post. My heady days are over since I had a serious illness a few years ago. Lost a significant amount of both mental capacity and give a shit all in the same round. It's unlikely you'll ever see me write something deeply cogent on this forum or at least any more cogent than what I normally post. I hope that's acceptable to you. However, I am fairly well read beyond just forum posts. :)

If that's true (about your illness, I mean), I'm sorry to hear it. It's not as if I don't give a shit.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#624  Postby BWE » Dec 11, 2017 6:00 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
BWE wrote:Just saw your ETA addition to this post. My heady days are over since I had a serious illness a few years ago. Lost a significant amount of both mental capacity and give a shit all in the same round. It's unlikely you'll ever see me write something deeply cogent on this forum or at least any more cogent than what I normally post. I hope that's acceptable to you. However, I am fairly well read beyond just forum posts. :)

If that's true (about your illness, I mean), I'm sorry to hear it. It's not as if I don't give a shit.

Oh it's true. Kind of like the second half of flowers for Algernon. More of a relief than a burden to tell the truth, I wasn't too far from thinking about semi retirement and it's a lot easier to just sit and enjoy my surroundings now. I do count myself lucky every time I get a paycheck still though. Main thing is I can't do sustained reading of complicated material or plucky writing now. I can still do most of the tasks I need to for work.
BWE

Print view this post

#625  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 11, 2017 6:30 am

BWE wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Oh it's true. Kind of like the second half of flowers for Algernon. More of a relief than a burden to tell the truth, I wasn't too far from thinking about semi retirement and it's a lot easier to just sit and enjoy my surroundings now. I do count myself lucky every time I get a paycheck still though. Main thing is I can't do sustained reading of complicated material or plucky writing now. I can still do most of the tasks I need to for work.

I guess the old 'plucky' reflexes still kick in now and then, don't they? About it being more a relief than a burden, in general, I think I know what you mean. I don't really know why your tone of warning a few posts ago really set my teeth on edge, but it did. I can't take back the way I responded, even though I'd wish I could when I take your situation seriously into account. I could completely switch over to treating all this as nothing but fluff, but I don't think I ever will. I wouldn't do it just to prove I could. There are a handful of regular posters here whose best stuff I wait around to read, but someday it won't be enough to keep me coming back. This place is otherwise just a habit with me, and like most of us here, I have other hobbies and obligations.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#626  Postby BWE » Dec 11, 2017 7:15 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
BWE wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

I guess the old 'plucky' reflexes still kick in now and then, don't they? About it being more a relief than a burden, in general, I think I know what you mean. I don't really know why your tone of warning a few posts ago really set my teeth on edge, but it did. I can't take back the way I responded, even though I'd wish I could when I take your situation seriously into account. I could completely switch over to treating all this as nothing but fluff, but I don't think I ever will. I wouldn't do it just to prove I could. There are a handful of regular posters here whose best stuff I wait around to read, but someday it won't be enough to keep me coming back. This place is otherwise just a habit with me, and like most of us here, I have other hobbies and obligations.

Well, I do think it is harmful to feel like you've got a hold of a truth because then you have to squeeze reality into it and it's never a perfect fit. It's an apparently irresistible urge for our species though so maybe I should just let people have their truths rather than trying to talk them out of it. But SoS's particular way of going about it caught my interest, or I found his approach interesting, I'm not sure which although I think his backstory is what intrigued me. Also, I'm a little bit of a sucker for Buddhist flavor although I'm not as keen on the culture and he's got that sprinkled throughout so maybe that's it. What seems the most interesting to me, and maybe to him, is that we are almost simultaneously on the exact same page and a million miles apart.
BWE

Print view this post

#627  Postby BWE » Dec 11, 2017 7:18 am

Also, just because I'm not a rapier wit doesn't mean I shouldn't be called to task if I'm talking bollocks. I'm not a raving imbecile yet.
BWE

Print view this post

#628  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 11, 2017 9:13 am

BWE wrote:Well, I do think it is harmful to feel like you've got a hold of a truth because then you have to squeeze reality into it and it's never a perfect fit. It's an apparently irresistible urge for our species though so maybe I should just let people have their truths rather than trying to talk them out of it. But SoS's particular way of going about it caught my interest, or I found his approach interesting, I'm not sure which although I think his backstory is what intrigued me. Also, I'm a little bit of a sucker for Buddhist flavor although I'm not as keen on the culture and he's got that sprinkled throughout so maybe that's it. What seems the most interesting to me, and maybe to him, is that we are almost simultaneously on the exact same page and a million miles apart.

Sure. There's truth that one is preparing to defend to the death, and that's not what's going on here, unless I miss my guess. I also don't think anyone here is a victim of paralyzing skepticism. I think what SOS has is the equivalent of what a scientist would call a working hypothesis, but, you know. ontologically. I don't know what use that is in proceeding with ontology, so you and I agree about that. Neither of us even wants to proceed with ontology, or so I thought.

There's also the kind of truth one might try to use to win an argument on the internet. I'm not into that, formally, and my dander goes up when I think I see attempts to win arguments on the internet where winning is not in the cards. I also don't think that is the project you're engaged in, just FTR. As far as 'harm' is concerned, if someone is harming him- or herself, sometimes I try to help, sometimes I try to add insult to injury. All within the rules, of course.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#629  Postby SpeedOfSound » Dec 11, 2017 3:41 pm

BWE wrote:lol. You'll just have to wonder I guess.

I think you are the one who is injecting ideas of absolute truth and ontology into my claim that 'there ARE trees' and hence you are confusing map with territory. How's that for irony?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#630  Postby BWE » Dec 11, 2017 6:23 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:

I think you are the one who is injecting ideas of absolute truth and ontology into my claim that 'there ARE trees' and hence you are confusing map with territory. How's that for irony?

Irony is the spice of life.
BWE

Print view this post

#631  Postby BWE » Dec 11, 2017 8:26 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:

I'm a little confused. What would your claim be if not a claim to absolute ontological truth? Either trees are externally real entities, i.e. from any vantage point, trees would retain their treeness, or trees is a word to describe a patterned set of perceptions from our own vantage point in which case there is no treeness externally but rather that is an internal quality used in navigation and prediction. No?
BWE

Print view this post

#632  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 12, 2017 5:09 am

BWE wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:

I'm a little confused. What would your claim be if not a claim to absolute ontological truth? Either trees are externally real entities, i.e. from any vantage point, trees would retain their treeness, or trees is a word to describe a patterned set of perceptions from our own vantage point in which case there is no treeness externally but rather that is an internal quality used in navigation and prediction. No?

Maybe it's just one way of saying that woodland sprites don't enjoy the same ontological status as the trees they inhabit. Without trees, woodland sprites would be out of fucking luck, and might have to become water sprites or rockhounds.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#633  Postby BWE » Dec 12, 2017 5:50 am

There are other ways to say that
BWE

Print view this post

#634  Postby BWE » Dec 12, 2017 7:16 am

Other ways which don't sound so much like they are trying to tell other people which models to use. There are also other ways to do that - to tell others which models to use.
Last edited by BWE on Dec 12, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BWE

Print view this post

#635  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 12, 2017 7:23 am

BWE wrote:Other ways which don't sound so much like they are trying to tell other people which models to use. There are also other ways to do that.

Oh, I'm only speaking directly to believers in woodland sprites. I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else what kind of model to use, unless they make a big deal out of it. It's not as if there's an ontology that tells someone what model to use. It's more about the kinds of shit that people incorporate into their models.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#636  Postby BWE » Dec 12, 2017 7:25 am

Cito di Pense wrote:
BWE wrote:Other ways which don't sound so much like they are trying to tell other people which models to use. There are also other ways to do that.

Oh, I'm only speaking directly to believers in woodland sprites. I wouldn't dream of telling anyone else what kind of model to use, unless they make a big deal out of it. It's not as if there's an ontology that tells someone what model to use. It's more about the kinds of shit that people incorporate into their models.

Full circle. In some cases, woodland sprites make a better model.
BWE

Print view this post

#637  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 12, 2017 7:31 am

BWE wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Full circle. In some cases, woodland sprites make a better model.

Sure, but I have to guess what you denote by 'better'. If it was a better model, woodland sprites would have a better answer to being called shit when incorporated into a model. With this stuff, it's all circular, all the time, and what's left is to take components of the model and assess them. The takeaway here is not to get beauty too mixed up with modeling except when the models are prancing down a runway, or that storytelling and modeling are in a set ("stuff that people do") with an equivalence relation.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#638  Postby BWE » Dec 12, 2017 8:28 am

Are some woodland sprites hot?
BWE

Print view this post

#639  Postby GrahamH » Dec 12, 2017 9:01 am

BWE wrote: In some cases, woodland sprites make a better model.

How about elves? Can you give any example cases where elves make a better model? Maybe I can see where this is going.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#640  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 12, 2017 10:02 am

I can't see the forest for the trees. Sprite or Coke, those are your choices.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy