Why does plobs think its possible that C is in all matter?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Why does plobs think its possible that C is in all matte

#481  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 01, 2010 8:39 pm

ColonelZen wrote:
Actually its the common, and in my opinion intentional on his part, of creating a cartoon caricature of one's opponent and then claiming victory because the cartoon is lacking.

-- TWZ

The cartoon is of the physicalist explaining life the universe and everything in terms of particles. This is actually typical of many of the magically impaired (magicTards, though that isn't politically correct anymore). Pl0bs just gives it to us in it's raw comedic nakedness.

I'm starting to really like him. He's the lab rat for the thing I'm currently reading and writing about.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#482  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 01, 2010 8:44 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:Plebs has a very confused idea about physicalism, reduction, and emergence.

He first erects the straw man of the physicalist who is making metaphysical claims. Then he puts on the straw man's shoes and makes claims about reduction as if it were a metaphysical position. This is a common trick among all of the nonnies. The neutral monist, the CosmoCon, all of them. They then argue forever in category jumping circles because they have tricked you into playing in a playground that only exists in their minds. A small playground as it turns out.

Reduction is about epistemology. It's about how we use science to explain things and how we make explanatory mappings from one theory to another. There is no metaphysical claim there except in the minds of people like pl0bs.

So.

pl0bs error#1 - Reduction is about metaphysics.

(I reserve the right to think that over and change it)

So refining

error #1 He is creating the straw man of the materialist/physicalist as making a metaphysical claim with reduction, rather than it's true epistemological claims, and/or creating a cartoon caricature of the scientist as explaining everything in terms of mass and motion. He will frequently talk about wearing the clown shoes of this caricature.

Guys. I'm trying to perform a service here so we can get these threads to go a little faster. I'm working on some other stuff and it's surprising me in how much it is teaching me about these arguments.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#483  Postby ColonelZen » Aug 01, 2010 8:49 pm

pl0bs wrote:
ColonelZen wrote:Name of the god or archangel who brought you this revelation? A citable respected work on science or even philosophy? Combination of meds that makes you think so? Name of the guy in the bar who said so?
The genius pl0bs.

IOW, no one worthy of consideration.

This about sums up everything that has been said in this topic:

The purest form of emergentism was propounded by the famed atomist Democritus (c. 460-370 B.C.E.). His principle of emergence was based upon the possibility of multi-shaped atoms “interlocking” to form an infinity of more complex shapes. But Democritus, in a way echoing Anaxagoras, had to admit that the qualities of experience (what we nowadays called “qualia”) could not be accounted for in this way and chose, ultimately unsatisfactorily, to relegate them to non-existence: “sweet exists by convention, bitter by convention, in truth only atoms and the void”. Although Democritus provides a remarkable anticipation of the modern doctrine of eliminativist materialism, we sorely miss his account of how conventions themselves—the consciously agreed upon means of common reference—emerge from the dancing atoms. Thus the core difficulty of the problem of consciousness remains unresolved.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panpsychism/

Firstly we've learned a little bit in 2400 years. Materialists today have quite a more sophisticated understanding.

And not a word of it disables predictive properties as valid for declaring an ontological distinction.

So, in other words, the only disability for real materialism/physicalism is your assertion that it means something other than what we say it means. Not a great handicap.

Prediction of the future and not static description of the past is what it's all about. It is *why* (from heuristic description of evolution) we have consciousness in the first place. Real physicalists and materialists understand that there is ontological distinctiveness in properties from various levels.
Real physicists understand that the distinctiveness is all just variations of basic physical ingredients.

But you have yet to cite a real physicist or physicalist, much less one we would accept as canonical, who will categorically claim that all levels of observable events can be predictively reduced to knowable primitives.

I repeat: YOU do not get to assert what real materialists believe. Your cartoons are scribbled only with your own crayons.

-- TWZ
ColonelZen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#484  Postby ColonelZen » Aug 01, 2010 9:32 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:I'm starting to really like him. He's the lab rat for the thing I'm currently reading and writing about.

LOL.

When it comes time to dissect the specimens, let me know if you need to borrow a metal-cutting saw or hammer-drill. I don't think the standard lab tools will be strong enough to get through the cranium.

-- TWZ
ColonelZen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#485  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 01, 2010 9:39 pm

ColonelZen wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:I'm starting to really like him. He's the lab rat for the thing I'm currently reading and writing about.

LOL.

When it comes time to dissect the specimens, let me know if you need to borrow a metal-cutting saw or hammer-drill. I don't think the standard lab tools will be strong enough to get through the cranium.

-- TWZ

I read over the forum guidelines and I didn't see anywhere that they specifically forbid a craniotomy. :naughty2:
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#486  Postby byofrcs » Aug 01, 2010 10:09 pm

pl0bs wrote:
byofrcs wrote:Given that the clingy-ness of water is due to its chemical polarity and that polarity is key to a number of physical properties across a wide range of molecules then you once again present a nonsense view of mass in motion.

It appears that according to you non-water has a bit different wetness. I don't think in the end that you actually make any sense.
Clingy-ness? Was the quark gluon plasma after the big bang clingy?

We only need to understand how it clings as being a product of the surface tension and the chemical polarity is a function of electrons (which are leptons and so not related to the Quark-gluon plasma). Electrons don't have the same strong interaction as quarks, which is pretty darn good because if they did then we would not be here as there would be no such thing as chemical reactions.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#488  Postby Teuton » Aug 02, 2010 1:12 am

GrahamH wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Real emergence is about quantitative differences.

Nonsense! Why do you insist the only parameter is quantity? What really counts is pattern(shape, geometry), and patterns require certain minimum quantities. A molecule is not simply a number of atoms, its emergent (reducible) properties arise from its shape, which is what patterns the fundamental propertied of the parts into something new. A molecule of a particular shape may absorb photos of a particular wavelength. Another may form a hook shape that makes it very "sticky". Another may act as a catlist by moving other molecules. These properties are not simply quantitative, they are qualitative and the qualities are the properties are the "configurations" are the shapes.

Real emergence is about the appearance of collective properties as an effect of the mutual manifestation of powers, i.e. dispositional properties, of certain numbers of certain kinds of particles which are spatially interrelated, i.e. geometrically arranged, in certain ways. What Pl0bs completely ignores is the crucial dynamic aspect of emergence, i.e. the "power interplay" occurring among the elements of physical systems, which generates and sustains new properties had by the system as a whole but not by single elements.

"For the emergentist, the seeds of every emergent property and the behaviour it manifests are found within the world's fundamental elements, in the form of latent dispositions awaiting only the right context for manifestation."

(O'Connor, Timothy, and John Ross Churchill. "Nonreductive Physicalism or Emergent Dualism? The Argument from Mental Causation." In The Waning of Materialism, edited by Robert C. Koons and George Bealer, 261-280. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010. p. 278)
"Perception does not exhaust our contact with reality; we can think too." – Timothy Williamson
Teuton

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#489  Postby GrahamH » Aug 02, 2010 7:34 am

Teuton wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
pl0bs wrote:Real emergence is about quantitative differences.

Nonsense! Why do you insist the only parameter is quantity? What really counts is pattern(shape, geometry), and patterns require certain minimum quantities. A molecule is not simply a number of atoms, its emergent (reducible) properties arise from its shape, which is what patterns the fundamental propertied of the parts into something new. A molecule of a particular shape may absorb photos of a particular wavelength. Another may form a hook shape that makes it very "sticky". Another may act as a catlist by moving other molecules. These properties are not simply quantitative, they are qualitative and the qualities are the properties are the "configurations" are the shapes.

Real emergence is about the appearance of collective properties as an effect of the mutual manifestation of powers, i.e. dispositional properties, of certain numbers of certain kinds of particles which are spatially interrelated, i.e. geometrically arranged, in certain ways. What Pl0bs completely ignores is the crucial dynamic aspect of emergence, i.e. the "power interplay" occurring among the elements of physical systems, which generates and sustains new properties had by the system as a whole but not by single elements.

"For the emergentist, the seeds of every emergent property and the behaviour it manifests are found within the world's fundamental elements, in the form of latent dispositions awaiting only the right context for manifestation."

(O'Connor, Timothy, and John Ross Churchill. "Nonreductive Physicalism or Emergent Dualism? The Argument from Mental Causation." In The Waning of Materialism, edited by Robert C. Koons and George Bealer, 261-280. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2010. p. 278)

That puts it quite well. Incidentally, by "shape" (or pl0bs' "configuration") I mean 4+ dimensional shape. Certainly we include temporal patterns.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#490  Postby Rilx » Aug 02, 2010 9:08 am

Pl0bs is a Big Bang Creationist.
In the life, there are no solutions. There are forces in motion. Those need to be created, and solutions follow.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "Night Flight"
Rilx

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#491  Postby GrahamH » Aug 02, 2010 10:01 am

Teuton wrote:"For the emergentist, the seeds of every emergent property and the behaviour it manifests are found within the world's fundamental elements, in the form of latent dispositions awaiting only the right context for manifestation."

I'm intrigued that this quote seems to be from an argument against materialism, in the context of "mental causation". How so?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#492  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 02, 2010 10:43 am

GrahamH wrote:
Teuton wrote:"For the emergentist, the seeds of every emergent property and the behaviour it manifests are found within the world's fundamental elements, in the form of latent dispositions awaiting only the right context for manifestation."

I'm intrigued that this quote seems to be from an argument against materialism, in the context of "mental causation". How so?

Oh for fucks sake. That paper sucks ass. To put it in technical terms.

Here is a compilation by Chalmers, apparently, of the whole shitstorm.

http://consc.net/mindpapers/4.5a

Here are some other links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaegwon_Kim
http://www.indiana.edu/~scotus/files/No ... sEmerg.pdf

google books search for 'the waning of materialism'

I can barely tell who is on whose side. Non-reductionist physicalism strikes me as crap anyway.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#494  Postby GrahamH » Aug 02, 2010 11:04 am

Some of "The Waning of Materialism" is on Google Books, but not the bit Teuton quoted. I see nothing non-reductionist or dualist in Teuton's own post.

That quote

Seems like valid materialism to me. It amounts to saying that the properties of every brick building that can possibly be built have their "seeds" in the properties of bricks. No brick is a building, and bricks do not have the properties of buildings.

"Latent dispositions" and "manifestation" might be dubiously interpreted, I suppose.
Last edited by GrahamH on Aug 02, 2010 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#495  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 02, 2010 11:26 am

One can never be sure why Teuton posts what he does and he doesn't seem interesting in telling us.

I see the whole mess about non-reductionist physicalism as another potential video of "Men Gone Wild". They Hume and Quine each others asses for twenty minutes and then Popper off the jism of their original belief. We've seen this here before.

If we want to make any progress we have to get back to rethinking first principles and do our own thinking.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#496  Postby GrahamH » Aug 02, 2010 11:52 am

Progress? Here in "Why does pl0bs think its possible that C is in all matter"? This is not the place for "progress". :lol:
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#497  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 02, 2010 11:55 am

GrahamH wrote:Progress? Here in "Why does pl0bs think its possible that C is in all matter"? This is not the place for "progress". :lol:

I'm a silly optimist.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#498  Postby SpeedOfSound » Aug 02, 2010 12:04 pm

I have officially become a Churchlander. I shall found the Church of the Churchlands with the gospels of Pat and Paul.
I am now a Mystical Materialist Buddhist Churchlandist Reductionist Eliminativist.

That's Fucking Progress my friend!
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#499  Postby pl0bs » Aug 14, 2010 9:53 am

Darwinsbulldog wrote:I have done this above and in other posts. Eye-spots, nerve ganglia, neither of which are 'true" eyes or true brains. A plant can detect sunlight without eyes. This is an emergent process.

I cannot absolutely disprove that consci9usness is not present in rocks. But I do not have to, it is you, in the absence of demonstrating that rocks have a seat of consciousness [such as a brain] it is you that has to provide the burden of proof.

An insect has small ganglia, even a small brain, and therefore we can argue some level of awareness and consciousness. With a rock you cannot.
You talk about "true" eyes. "True" is a subjective classification. It has no physical basis. You cannot point to an eye that has no simpler evolutionary ancestor, unless you reject evolution.

Previously ive explained why evolution is incompatible with materialism.

Btw you asked me for evidence of consciousness in atoms. Just to make sure this question even makes sense, can you give me evidence of consciousness in humans? Last i checked, consciousness is invisible to any measuring device. Which, btw also renders moot, even irrational, the argument methodological naturalism is a good reason to believe in materialism.
Believing that a lump of meat is capable of "creating experiences" is akin to believing
that leprechauns create gold coins. - UndercoverElephant
pl0bs

Israel (il)
Print view this post

#500  Postby byofrcs » Aug 14, 2010 9:57 am

pl0bs wrote:
Darwinsbulldog wrote:I have done this above and in other posts. Eye-spots, nerve ganglia, neither of which are 'true" eyes or true brains. A plant can detect sunlight without eyes. This is an emergent process.

I cannot absolutely disprove that consci9usness is not present in rocks. But I do not have to, it is you, in the absence of demonstrating that rocks have a seat of consciousness [such as a brain] it is you that has to provide the burden of proof.

An insect has small ganglia, even a small brain, and therefore we can argue some level of awareness and consciousness. With a rock you cannot.
You talk about "true" eyes. "True" is a subjective classification. It has no physical basis. You cannot point to an eye that has no simpler evolutionary ancestor, unless you reject evolution.

Previously ive explained why evolution is incompatible with materialism.

Btw you asked me for evidence of consciousness in atoms. Just to make sure this question even makes sense, can you give me evidence of consciousness in humans? Last i checked, consciousness is invisible to any measuring device. Which, btw also renders moot, even irrational, the argument methodological naturalism is a good reason to believe in materialism.

But as it seems that there is a difference between the conscious and non-conscious neural representations and that this is measurable.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy