Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

Minneapolis Riots

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Minneapolis 3rd Precinct set on fire

#961  Postby arugula2 » Sep 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Oh boy. Protests for Breonna have spread to DC. Form a protective cocoon of civility around the urban planners!

"Protesters in Washington, D.C. Demand Justice for Breonna Taylor: 'Say Her Name!'" (Bloomberg)
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
    - Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#962  Postby arugula2 » Sep 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Gayle King is just the worst. But it's the only recent clip available with the lawyer for Breonna's boyfriend, Kenneth Walker, who was initially charged with - get this - attempted murder, when he defensively shot at the goons smashing unannounced through the door. (One of the ways police departments & DA's try to intimidate their victims.)

Notable features of the clip:
    - a Kentucky accent, one of my favorites when done right
    - prosecutor refusing to indict, citing the accused cops' claims about their own conduct
    - neighbors uniformly rejected the cops' claim that they announced themselves before raiding the home
    - 1 of those neighbors eventually altered his testimony after multiple police "interviews"
    - conflicting ballistics report by the state police (not the involved PD), prosecutor isn't releasing the report
    - self-defense excuse by cops wouldn't even apply to secondary victim (Breonna Taylor) in Kentucky

"Attorney for Breonna Taylor's boyfriend on the case, police shootings and self-defense" (CBS)
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#963  Postby Seabass » Oct 16, 2020 5:48 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#964  Postby arugula2 » Oct 19, 2020 8:05 pm

I don't know how this boy is alive. Anyway, the Salt Lake City PD released body-cam footage from when 2 armed thugs with badges felt disrespected enough to chase down an autistic 13-year-old running barefoot(?) away from them, and fire a dozen bullets at him.

I don't know why the clip from the thug doing the shooting isn't on their youtube channel,(*) but you can find it here (WLBT). The clip below is from his partner's bodycam.

The boy was released from hospital recently, with a bunch of medical bills of course. Of course. Here's his gofundme page. What an unfunny joke of a country.

* Edit: No, you have to actively scan for it, apparently. It's the very end of an 18-minute video. Literally the final 20 seconds. Gee, I wonder why they clipped his partner's (more sanitized, more distanced) footage and not the shooter's also. The machine at work, I guess.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#965  Postby arugula2 » Oct 20, 2020 11:26 pm

Kentucky Judge Criticizes AG Daniel Cameron’s ‘Theatrical’ Objection, Allows Breonna Taylor Grand Jurors to Speak About Case (Law and Crime)

“In objecting to this motion, the attorney general speculates that allowing this grand juror to speak may compromise Brett Hankison’s right to a fair trial,” the court said. “When asked to be more specific about its concerns, the Commonwealth acknowledged it did not know how allowing this grand juror to speak would undermine Hankison’s trial. Therefore, this court cannot find that this concern is founded in reality.”

The judicial upbraiding, which characterizes Cameron’s objection to the release of grand jury materials as “theatrical,” continues on for a bit longer [emphasis in original]:

The Commonwealth also asserts that to release information about the grand jury proceedings in this case would “destroy the principle of secrecy that serves as the foundation of the grand jury system.” To be clear, this Court’s ruling on this motion is applicable only to this case. Further, when considering the Attorney General’s swift compliance with the trial court’s order to release the grand jury recordings, coupled with the Attorney General’s multiple public statements and characterizations about the grand jury and the resulting indictment, the Commonwealth’s objection now reads as theatrical sturm und drang.
[...]
The order offers a summary explanation for why the typically secret proceedings should be made available in Taylor’s case:

There exist additional interests to consider in making this decision: the interest of the citizens of the Commonwealth of Kentucky to be assured that its publicly elected officials are being honest in their representations; the interest of grand jurors, whose service is compelled, to be certain their work is not mischaracterized by the very prosecutors on whom they relied to advise them; and, the interest of all citizens to have confidence in the integrity of the justice system. Considering those interests, there is no doubt that justice requires disclosure of the grand jury proceedings in this case.”
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#966  Postby arugula2 » Oct 23, 2020 4:17 pm

This is usually a bullshit pretext for murderous aggression, from what I recall. The body cam or dash cam can hopefully reveal just how large of a bullshit, and if it’s large enough to indict, which it almost never is.

Waukegan police officer fatally shoots teen after car reverses during traffic stop: police (Chi. Sun-Times)

The dead kid was a passenger.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#967  Postby arugula2 » Oct 25, 2020 4:07 am

Well. He was fired “for multiple policy and procedure violations”, and the shooting is still under review, so... whatever they saw warranted not waiting for the review to be over. :dunno: Highly unusual. Feds involved now.

Waukegan police officer fired after fatal shooting of teen (same source)

arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#968  Postby Seabass » Oct 30, 2020 4:21 pm

Louisville police officer sues Kenneth Walker, boyfriend of Breonna Taylor, for emotional distress, assault and battery

An officer involved in the fatal shooting of Breonna Taylor has filed a civil suit against the 26-year-old's boyfriend for emotional distress, assault and battery on the night she was killed. The lawsuit claims Louisville Sergeant Jonathan Mattingly experienced "severe trauma, mental anguish, and emotional distress" because of Kenneth Walker's actions on March 13.

Mattingly and two other officers entered Taylor's apartment early in the morning that day with a warrant in an attempt to carry out a drug investigation. Walker, a licensed gun owner who said he thought the officers were intruders, allegedly fired a shot that hit Mattingly in the leg. Police opened fire, killing Taylor. Taylor had no criminal record and no drugs were found.

"Walker's conduct in shooting Mattingly is outrageous, intolerable, and offends all accepted standards of decency and morality," the lawsuit said, citing one of the legal standards for intentional emotional distress.

Walker was initially arrested and charged with attempted murder over the shooting, but those charges were later dropped. Walker subsequently sued the Louisville Metropolitan Police Department and also sought immunity based on the state's "Stand Your Ground" law.

Walker's attorney called Mattingly's lawsuit a "baseless attempt to further victimize and harass Kenny."

"Kenny Walker is protected by law under KRS 503.085 and is immune from both criminal prosecution and civil liability as he was acting in self defense in his own home," attorney Steve Romines said in a statement obtained by CBS News.

"Even the most basic understanding of Kentucky's 'Stand Your Ground' law and the 'Castle Doctrine' evidences this fact. One would think that breaking into the apartment, executing his girlfriend and framing him for a crime in an effort to cover up her murder would be enough for them," he added. "Yet this baseless attempt to further victimize and harass Kenny indicates otherwise."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/breonna-taylor-boyfriend-kenneth-walker-sued-by-louisville-police-sgt-jonathan-mattingly-for-emotional-distress-2020-10-29/
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire

"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Gazpacho Police

Print view this post

#969  Postby The_Piper » Oct 30, 2020 5:30 pm

I wonder if that could open up Officer Mattingly to further scrutiny as part of the defense. I hope so. The sociopathic nerve of that. You should be suing your police department, Sergeant Jonathan Mattingly.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#970  Postby arugula2 » Oct 30, 2020 6:19 pm

The attempted murder charges against the victim of his home invasion didn't get traction, so this is the coward's alternative. His lawyers (no doubt connected to the police union) are probably betting on favorable evidence rules, but I can't see how Walker doesn't immediately counter-sue, the coward cop's lawsuit is withdrawn, and the police department is further humiliated.

What angers me most, and gives me the most hope, is that the spotlight depends on tens of thousands of strangers across the country, periodically marching and spooking the rich white people. It's the only reason the complicit media keeps the rest of the world interested enough.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#971  Postby arugula2 » Nov 21, 2020 12:19 am

crank wrote:[...]I've gone through this thread, skimmed through, didn't notice, but is anyone here black? I can't imagine what it's like to live with the racism in this country. You get 'the talk', you learn how precarious life can be, how dangerous cops could be, you learn you can't act like white folk act and not risk serious problems. There's examples in posts here of whites with knives, even guns, in confrontations with police and the police don't escalate, they de-escalate, no one gets hurt. How often does that happen with POC? As far as I'm concerned, rioting and looting is a really measured, restrained response.[...]

Looks like your most recent posts have been on this thread, so I don't know if you still lurk - but I only now managed to read your post (from July, I think?).

Re: highlighted part... I am. Not the only one, but it's possible I'm the only one from the USA. :dunno:

And yes, it's a surreal existence. You have to become an expert at nonverbal cues - body language, avoidance, tone shifts, etc. I come from an unusually diverse background, in terms of travel & my extended family, and exposure to different cultures. The American 'culture' is my longest exposure, but it still feels the most weird. It's a big country, and I've met wonderful people who could probably trace their ancestry to the Mayflower. On the other hand, there are power structures in place that are palpably slavery-era and Jim Crow-era. Most of the country seems adapted to it. (In case you're interested, I'm going to finish my gargantuan post on the national anthem one of these days, which zooms in on this topic.)

What I want to emphasize, in response to your (entire) post, is that it's always been this country. What we're seeing more and more is what's behind the curtain. This is thanks to cellphone proliferation & the Internet - nothing more. Yes, there are spikes in racist violence from time to time, and there are street riots... but even that pattern is normal for America. This isn't the "new" normal - this is just America. The point gets lost in the media, somewhat deliberately.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#972  Postby arugula2 » Nov 21, 2020 3:52 am

The mother of Linden Cameron, the autistic 13-year-old gunned down in Utah for running away from a cop, says the family has had to close their small business to deal with the medical fallout. Linden faces additional surgeries to repair nerve damage:

linden01.png
linden01.png (508.39 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

linden02.png
linden02.png (396.89 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

Top number is money raised to keep Linden and his family afloat; bottom number is money raised for Kyle Rittenhouse just on the christian fundraising site GiveSendGo:

fundraising.png
fundraising.png (19.78 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

According to the above linked* article (NPR), the GiveSendGo fund only stalled because fundraisers claim they were "forced to stop receiving donations" - whatever that means. (The current amount is higher than the amount they claim it stalled at.)
(*link fixed)

Rittenhouse's lawyer, Lin Wood, who tweets every few minutes to maintain his own raised profile (including several innuendo-tweets about Georgia "election documents" being destroyed, just from today)... reported a few hours ago that Rittenhouse is out on bail ($2 million raised for that). Unclear what the total raised is.
Last edited by arugula2 on Nov 21, 2020 4:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#973  Postby arugula2 » Nov 21, 2020 3:58 am

Just to reiterate: idk wtf the fundraisers are claiming, re: being "forced to stop receiving donations". The most recent 2 donations are from the last hour:

uhhuh.png
uhhuh.png (36.07 KiB) Viewed 1638 times

The individual amounts look to be on the incline. If anyone was wondering about Trump's more backwater supporters not having petty cash to throw away... there ya go.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#974  Postby felltoearth » Nov 21, 2020 1:26 pm

The US’s problems go way beyond Trump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#975  Postby Tortured_Genius » Nov 21, 2020 5:23 pm

felltoearth wrote:The US’s problems go way beyond Trump.

I keep having to remind myself that Trump is a symptom, not a cause.

Lowlife mountebanks have always been with us and will always seek the levers of power for their own enrichment. Systems of government need to have built in the means to either keep them out, remove them from such positions or limit the damage they can do. The last 4 years has demonstrated that the US system as it is now may not be up to the task.

(As a side note, the UK solution has been to keep the leeches in place, but essentially powerless with a head of state with no executive power and a regulated non-partisan civil service. Unfortunately, that seems to be crumbling as well since the UK government has again been infested with aristos without a short and glorious war to kill the buggers off again. I personally am seriously leaning towards the French solution).
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#976  Postby arugula2 » Dec 01, 2020 7:53 am

Over the weekend, protests in Paris against a proposed law that would make it illegal to publish footage of police...

Punishment for doing so would be up to a year in jail and a €45000 fine.

A video surfaced a few days before the protest, police assaulting music producer Michel Zecler on Nov 21, in the lobby of his own studio - unbeknownst to them a camera recorded everything. Charges were initially filed against him for "causing violence", and for reaching for a cop's weapon ( :lol: )... After the video surfaced, the charges were dropped, and a prosecutor looked at the cops instead. Gee, I wonder if the aforementioned law is in bad faith, huh. :think:

Most video reports suggest the attack lasted 5 mins - but it was 15-20. (Loopsider first reported on it: initial footage here, and additional outdoor footage from a handheld here. There are multiple victims besides Zecler.) Some guys in the building came to his rescue, and physically pushed the cops out the door, cinematically punctuating how easy it is to tell who the villains are.

4 of the cops were charged Monday, 3 with assault & giving false testimony, 1 for throwing tear gas into the room.

"Paris : Michel, frappé par des policiers sous l’oeil d’une caméra" (Le Parisien)
)
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#977  Postby felltoearth » Dec 01, 2020 3:57 pm

They’ve dropped the legislation

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#978  Postby arugula2 » Dec 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Well that's something, considering the party was squashing dissent these last few days. If the original language was what they considered "compromise", it'll be interesting to see what replaces it.
arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#979  Postby arugula2 » Jan 06, 2021 8:15 pm

If you look closely, you see a cop who lied about the warrant he filed (resulting in Breonna Taylor's death), another cop (Breonna's killer) who ratted him out, a third cop (the guy Taylor's boyfriend shot in the leg when the home invaders smashed into the house) still receiving full benefits, and a self-appointed special prosecutor (Kentucky AG Daniel Cameron) who deliberately removed the option of homicide from the grand jury. In other words, another day in America.

"2 Louisville detectives involved in Breonna Taylor raid are fired" (WGN9, Chicago)

arugula

- Neruda
arugula2
Banned Troll

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#980  Postby Alan C » Jan 06, 2021 8:30 pm

Now it's Capitol Hill. It doesn't appear this group was teargassed or shot at with rubber bullets though as they stormed the building and got onto the senate floor. Funny that.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs