Diablo 3

15th May

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Diablo 3

#301  Postby xtraordinaryevidence » Aug 05, 2012 4:14 pm

mrjonno wrote:'End game' is a subscription MMORPG concept it doesnt really apply to a buy /pay once game. It's completely unrealistic to buy such a computer game and still expect to be playing it 3 months later.

Sure, except for almost every RPG in existence...

mrjonno wrote:You get a few games like that but they arent what pay people wages. If anything if you sell a game for £40 and people are still playing it the next year you are putting your business at risk.

Exactly. It's not like you want the customer to think they got value for money and will be willing to purchase your next game. :facepalm:
"I didn't stop the planes from hitting the buildings, but I left a cross in the rubble. You're welcome." - Yahweh
xtraordinaryevidence

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#302  Postby LIFE » Aug 05, 2012 4:25 pm

There's no monthly subscription (thank goodness) but there's the RMAH.

'End game' could be PvP battles in conjunction with a ladder system and hopefully a more intriguing final difficulty.
They have a very constructive community (once you weed out all the trolling and whining) that have suggested quite brilliant stuff that could save the game from abandonement. Blizzard's staff have acknowledged some of those ideas and I still have some hope inside of me that clinges on to it. It's easy actually: Fix the loot system, add PvP, remove the level cap, smooth the difficulties and add some more sophisticated gameplay mechanics and you have an entirely different beast that should excite again. And to top that off bring back the diversity Diablo II had to offer, rune stones, more gems etc etc. Win.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#303  Postby mrjonno » Aug 05, 2012 7:56 pm

actly. It's not like you want the customer to think they got value for money and will be willing to purchase your next game

If they are playing the same game for years they are less likely to spend more money as for many of us when it comes to computer games time is more of a limiting factor than money
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#304  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 08, 2012 9:14 am

mrjonno wrote:'End game' is a subscription MMORPG concept it doesnt really apply to a buy /pay once game. It's completely unrealistic to buy such a computer game and still expect to be playing it 3 months later. You get a few games like that but they arent what pay people wages. If anything if you sell a game for £40 and people are still playing it the next year you are putting your business at risk.

Personally I think the concept of non-subscription computer games doesnt have much of a future, its going to be computer games as service, monthly payment

Did you play Diablo 2?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Birthday
Print view this post

#305  Postby mrjonno » Aug 08, 2012 4:46 pm

Yes it did but if Diablo 3 made as much money as Diablo 2 would Blizzard still be in business
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#306  Postby Mononoke » Aug 08, 2012 6:54 pm

when did blizzard g out of bussiness
Mononoke

Male

Sri Lanka (lk)
Print view this post

#307  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 09, 2012 9:53 am

mrjonno wrote:Yes it did but if Diablo 3 made as much money as Diablo 2 would Blizzard still be in business

I should expect so considering they're still selling Diablo 2 well today! :)

It sold slightly over 4 million copies in the first year. The battle chest was still on the top 10 PC games list in 2010!

A lot of copies of D3 were sold on the strength of D2. Will that happen next time? Tbh, I think they lost some key ingredients that made the game so replayable - if they don't add these back into future iterations, I won't be buying it until it gets cheap.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Birthday
Print view this post

#308  Postby Wuffy » Aug 09, 2012 11:45 am

They had the right Idea on how to make D3 good. But they didn't execute so well.

They talked about how "You could be a wizard holding an axe." But it never did anything for you unless the axe had Int on it... and of course it was pointless since most powers didn't actually.. you know do anything with what you were holding. (Aside from it's damage output.)

I enjoyed the game while I played it. It's certainly killed time and Crawling through the game with friends was fun.

Let's see what's next.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#309  Postby wunksta » Aug 09, 2012 11:07 pm

The night is dark and full of terrors...
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#310  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 10, 2012 12:05 am

Wuffy wrote:They had the right Idea on how to make D3 good. But they didn't execute so well.

They talked about how "You could be a wizard holding an axe." But it never did anything for you unless the axe had Int on it... and of course it was pointless since most powers didn't actually.. you know do anything with what you were holding. (Aside from it's damage output.)

I enjoyed the game while I played it. It's certainly killed time and Crawling through the game with friends was fun.

Let's see what's next.

As they made the game revolve around items, the wizard probably had to hold an axe when it was the highest int weapon he'd found.

Spearthrower

Male

Birthday
Print view this post

#311  Postby wunksta » Aug 11, 2012 2:56 am

Wuffy wrote:

Let's see what's next.

T2
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#312  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 11, 2012 3:19 am

The security breach really takes the immaculate piss for those of us who only ever wanted to play the damn game single player.

Spearthrower

Male

Birthday
Print view this post

#313  Postby Wuffy » Aug 11, 2012 4:52 am

Well the breach is Blizzard, not D3 breach but Blizzard itself.

So if you had like me bought the Digital edition (What at more expensive then a boxed copy? How in the heck...) Your skin in the hack was compromised anyway.

A lot of companies get hacked, most don't tell you, even more don't even know it's happened.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#314  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 11, 2012 7:06 am

Wuffy wrote:Well the breach is Blizzard, not D3 breach but Blizzard itself.

So if you had like me bought the Digital edition (What at more expensive then a boxed copy? How in the heck...) Your skin in the hack was compromised anyway.

A lot of companies get hacked, most don't tell you, even more don't even know it's happened.

I mean that there is no possible means of buying a stand-alone version. That's what I want from a game I intend to play entirely in single-player. In such a case, there's no way a hack of Blizzard would have affected me at all.

Spearthrower

Male

Birthday
Print view this post

#315  Postby xtraordinaryevidence » Aug 11, 2012 11:19 am

wunksta wrote:
Wuffy wrote:

Let's see what's next.

T2

And Path of Exile.
"I didn't stop the planes from hitting the buildings, but I left a cross in the rubble. You're welcome." - Yahweh
xtraordinaryevidence

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#316  Postby wunksta » Aug 11, 2012 7:15 pm

xtraordinaryevidence wrote:

And Path of Exile.

Oh yeah, I've been wanting to get into that
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#317  Postby iMMz » Aug 18, 2012 6:08 am

flop of the century
iMMz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#318  Postby xtraordinaryevidence » Aug 20, 2012 8:55 am

http://imgur.com/wfySr

Oops.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6368697778?page=1

Edit: Here's the interview. Most blatant leading questions I've ever seen lol.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT_XiT2mifo[/youtube]
xtraordinaryevidence

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#319  Postby Wuffy » Aug 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Why is it always "Uuuh, we waited this long for it to come out..." Literally counting back from the day the previous title released.

I think that's a ridiculous thing to say, especially when they use that as "It's been in development for 10 years." Or making it sound like that.

Oh wow. I figured it was just some facebook thread. Took a while to catch on it was the guys at blizzard saying those comments.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#320  Postby Fallible » Aug 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Sadly I gave up playing it some months back. It did not have longevity for me, I found it too hard, tedious and repetitive for my liking.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games