Fallout 4

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Fallout 4

#1  Postby Rome Existed » Nov 10, 2015 1:43 am

Just went down to the cheapest local retailer and the idiots didn't order enough copies. Apparently will be until at least next week until they get more.

Buying online on places such as Steam it's well over $AUS100.

Sigh. Me is sad.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Fallout 4

#2  Postby Thommo » Nov 10, 2015 4:08 am

I saw on the Escapist they had a list of good deals for fallout 4. One that struck me was GMG (Green Man Games I think?) which is an online dealer that might be able to a currency conversion transaction, might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

Sorry to hear your retailer fucked up though, hopefully mine won't have (it's not out here till morning arrives in 6 hours or so).

EDIT:

This seems to have some Aus-friendly info about the deal and what's what, if it's any use:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/green- ... -4-for-60/
Thommo

Print view this post

#3  Postby Rome Existed » Nov 10, 2015 6:16 am

Thommo wrote:I saw on the Escapist they had a list of good deals for fallout 4. One that struck me was GMG (Green Man Games I think?) which is an online dealer that might be able to a currency conversion transaction, might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

Sorry to hear your retailer fucked up though, hopefully mine won't have (it's not out here till morning arrives in 6 hours or so).

EDIT:

This seems to have some Aus-friendly info about the deal and what's what, if it's any use:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/green- ... -4-for-60/

I checked out GMG. Over $100 for Australians. I didn't see any deals when I went on earlier.... oh, VPN. $US60 is about as expensive as I can on some other online sites without using a VPN. Gamersgate is selling it for $AUD85.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thommo » Nov 10, 2015 6:45 am

Ahh sucks. All I can offer is commiseration if that's no use. You guys in Aus really seem to get the shaft for no discernible reason sometimes. At least you have low taxes overall. Or something.
Thommo

Print view this post

#5  Postby Rome Existed » Nov 10, 2015 7:53 am

Thommo wrote:Ahh sucks. All I can offer is commiseration if that's no use. You guys in Aus really seem to get the shaft for no discernible reason sometimes. At least you have low taxes overall. Or something.

Yeah, we're the 2nd lowest taxed nation I believe in the OECD. That is something I guess.

There was a Senate Inquiry into why Australians pay so much for digital goods. The senate concluded there was no good reason for it beyond overseas companies feel like it and make up really bad excuses for it.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mazille » Nov 10, 2015 9:20 am

GMG seems to have a 20% off voucher going. I don't know if it's applicable to Fallout. Shame it's not on GOG. They give you the difference in local pricings back in store credit.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Sendraks » Nov 10, 2015 12:02 pm

The game does look amazing, so I can understand the annoyance and not having your copy when expected. I will probably buy this game at some point (the settlement building function looks amazing), but not for quite some time.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#8  Postby Thommo » Nov 10, 2015 4:17 pm

8 minutes left on my download. :hungry:
Thommo

Print view this post

#9  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Nov 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Been playing it all day. My wife picked it up when the game store opened and thanks to Tomb Raider and another game coming out as well there was a line in the store to pick up their copies. She got a cool little poster given to her in the line as well, so that was nice.

The game is pretty damn fun, some things do take some getting used to. Like now you don't open containers to loot it pops up in a little window and you rip out what you want. You don't have to back out of that like you do with the old system but my brain keeps slamming the cancel button anyway and since that button is also tied to the Pipboy up it pops in my face.

The weapon customisation is a lot of fun. You can take two pipe guns and turn one into a rapid firing pistol and the other into a sniper rifle. The options are wide open if you can get your hands on the right items to get the right parts out of. That is another thing that takes getting used to, stupid crap that normally you would leave in the other games needs to be grabbed. You need that desk fan cause it gives you screws, duct tape is coming along as is any glues and typewriters. That board game? Gives you nuclear martial so along it comes. A turning your companion into a pack mule is outright needed.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 10, 2015 4:26 pm

I still have to upgrade my RAM. Only have 4gb atm.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 10, 2015 4:45 pm

It's unpacking... just a few minutes. :yay: :awesome:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nostalgia » Nov 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Or fifteen minutes. Or three minutes. Or two hours. Four hours. One day two hours. Fuck's sake...
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Thommo » Nov 10, 2015 4:51 pm

My download is done, but I need something to eat and to do a few things before I lose the rest of my day to gaming!
Thommo

Print view this post

#14  Postby Mazille » Nov 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Mustn't... buy... now...

I don't have time to play it now anyway and I already have a ridiculous backlog. Be reasonable, Maz....
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Strontium Dog » Nov 10, 2015 5:12 pm

This is the comparison site I use for online game purchases, it's most useful:

https://isthereanydeal.com/

Meanwhile, purchasers of the PC disk version have been moaning about the fact that only 5GB is on the disk, leaving another 19GB to download. Amazon UK's rating is currently 1.7 out of 5, with reviewers bemoaning the pointlessness of having a physical version where 80% of the game still needs to be downloaded.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mazille » Nov 10, 2015 5:15 pm

That is a pisstake, though.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Thommo » Nov 10, 2015 5:21 pm

I admit I was surprised. I'm just glad they finally rolled out decent internet to our area this summer. It meant the download was about 2hrs instead of the 70 it would have been 6 months ago.
Thommo

Print view this post

#18  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Nov 10, 2015 5:22 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:This is the comparison site I use for online game purchases, it's most useful:

https://isthereanydeal.com/

Meanwhile, purchasers of the PC disk version have been moaning about the fact that only 5GB is on the disk, leaving another 19GB to download. Amazon UK's rating is currently 1.7 out of 5, with reviewers bemoaning the pointlessness of having a physical version where 80% of the game still needs to be downloaded.

There is a reason for that. It is to stop people from getting the game early, working out how to crack it and putting it up on torrent sites before the game is even out. And since the PS4 version was sold early and people who bought it streamed it before release this isn't just a PC problem any more. Might not be the best solution to the problem but it works.

We might end ups seeing more and more game locking off some of the data as a form of protection from people getting the game before release. On consoles and PCs.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Sendraks » Nov 10, 2015 5:27 pm

My stated aim now is to wait for a release of this game which is patched, that doesn't involve me having to download shedloads of data at the outset. Because I really can't be fucked with that.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby UncertainSloth » Nov 10, 2015 5:45 pm

arrived today - cant frigging wait...fo3 & nv are in my top 5 games...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games