Does the Earth spin/rotate about it's axis?

Incl. intelligent design, belief in divine creation

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Does the Earth spin/rotate about it's axis?

#2541  Postby Paul » Feb 25, 2014 9:20 am

BlackBart wrote:It would certainly leave a nasty mark.

That's why brown trousers are so good.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2542  Postby lucek » Feb 25, 2014 5:08 pm

Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2543  Postby scott1328 » Feb 26, 2014 5:20 am

lucek wrote:

Okay then, pleasant dreams... :shock:
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2544  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 28, 2014 7:57 pm

So, questioner still doesn't understand why F=ma means small masses orbit around big masses?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2545  Postby scott1328 » Feb 28, 2014 8:11 pm

Calilasseia wrote:So, questioner still doesn't understand why F=ma means small masses orbit around big masses?

Shall we resurrect Isophocles to explain Newton's laws to him?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2546  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 28, 2014 8:14 pm

I think I'd rather resurrect Jeffrey Dahmer. At least we'd be treated to some entertainment during the domestic science classes.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2548  Postby campermon » Feb 28, 2014 8:30 pm

Calilasseia wrote:I think I'd rather resurrect Jeffrey Dahmer. At least we'd be treated to some entertainment during the domestic science classes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2549  Postby hackenslash » Feb 28, 2014 9:06 pm

It's certainly one way for the topic to get ahead...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#2550  Postby pensioner » Feb 28, 2014 9:57 pm

128 pages to answer the question "Does the Earth spin/rotate about it's axis" what the fuck?
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2551  Postby hackenslash » Feb 28, 2014 10:02 pm

Not really. The only reason the thread is so big is storage space for Campy's beer.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#2552  Postby campermon » Feb 28, 2014 10:06 pm

hackenslash wrote:Not really. The only reason the thread is so big is storage space for Campy's beer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's remind ourselves of the OP and the reason that this thread is now a bar;

questioner121 wrote:I've been thinking about this question for a long time and have done alot of reading on the internet to try and find out what proof exists which can be used to prove that the Earth spins about it's axis. The proofs I've been looking for are experiments that can be tried on Earth (I'm very skeptic of satellite data). So far the main expermiment that is used to prove the Earth spins is the Foucalts Pendulum experiment. I'm hoping that the nice people on this forum will point me to some more experiments. If they can't then I'd have to question why they still believe it to be true and urge them to challenge what they have been taught at school and learn from the media.

So why don't I believe that the Earth spins?

1. If the Earth spins why does the air/clouds spin with the Earth? Surely there is very little friction between the solid Earth crust and the air to cause the air/clouds to spin with the Earth.

2. Shouldn't a plane which flies in an opposite direction to the spin of the Earth move faster relative to the land mass below it?

3. There is no mathematical proof to say that the Earth spin or orbits the Sun.

There's probably some more points but I'll mention them if I can remember them later.

Just to let you know, I consider myself a believer and accept the words of the Quran and most of the Old and New testament (I believe the Bible has been changed over the years but the Quran to this day is totally 100% the same) to be true. Having read the Quran and most of the bible, I couldn't find anywhere where it clearly says that the earth spins. This to me is a fantastic finding because it is a clear challenge against the science of today which according to all the great minds of the past few centuries and all the technological advancement mankind has achieved cleary teaches that the Earth spins.

I'm hoping that athiests (of which there are many clever and knowledgeable ones on this forum) and even the believers who think the Earth spins will be able to guide/educate me to believing that the Earth does spin.

Thanks

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2553  Postby Weaver » Mar 01, 2014 3:29 pm

Ah, yes, the OP. Otherwise known as "The Reason for my Cirrhosis."

It's 10 AM here - time for a beer. Who is with me?
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2554  Postby theropod » Mar 01, 2014 3:39 pm

It's only a little after 9 here, and I've about finished my second.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2555  Postby pensioner » Mar 01, 2014 3:40 pm

campermon wrote:
hackenslash wrote:Not really. The only reason the thread is so big is storage space for Campy's beer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's remind ourselves of the OP and the reason that this thread is now a bar;

questioner121 wrote:I've been thinking about this question for a long time and have done alot of reading on the internet to try and find out what proof exists which can be used to prove that the Earth spins about it's axis. The proofs I've been looking for are experiments that can be tried on Earth (I'm very skeptic of satellite data). So far the main expermiment that is used to prove the Earth spins is the Foucalts Pendulum experiment. I'm hoping that the nice people on this forum will point me to some more experiments. If they can't then I'd have to question why they still believe it to be true and urge them to challenge what they have been taught at school and learn from the media.

So why don't I believe that the Earth spins?

1. If the Earth spins why does the air/clouds spin with the Earth? Surely there is very little friction between the solid Earth crust and the air to cause the air/clouds to spin with the Earth.

2. Shouldn't a plane which flies in an opposite direction to the spin of the Earth move faster relative to the land mass below it?

3. There is no mathematical proof to say that the Earth spin or orbits the Sun.

There's probably some more points but I'll mention them if I can remember them later.

Just to let you know, I consider myself a believer and accept the words of the Quran and most of the Old and New testament (I believe the Bible has been changed over the years but the Quran to this day is totally 100% the same) to be true. Having read the Quran and most of the bible, I couldn't find anywhere where it clearly says that the earth spins. This to me is a fantastic finding because it is a clear challenge against the science of today which according to all the great minds of the past few centuries and all the technological advancement mankind has achieved cleary teaches that the Earth spins.

I'm hoping that athiests (of which there are many clever and knowledgeable ones on this forum) and even the believers who think the Earth spins will be able to guide/educate me to believing that the Earth does spin.

Thanks

:beer:

How can anyone with a couple brain cells between their ears believe in this nonsense? Only one way for me is if you are a religious idiot and your book of bollocks says something different to the scientific evidence. :shock:
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2556  Postby Weaver » Mar 01, 2014 3:44 pm

The OP never believed his nonsense - either here, or at the old RDF. He just thought he was clever, and liked to argue.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#2557  Postby pensioner » Mar 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Weaver wrote:Ah, yes, the OP. Otherwise known as "The Reason for my Cirrhosis."

It's 10 AM here - time for a beer. Who is with me?

I for one would very much like to have a beer with you. :cheers:
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2558  Postby BlackBart » Mar 01, 2014 3:58 pm

Weaver wrote:The OP never believed his nonsense - either here, or at the old RDF. He just thought he was clever, and liked to argue.

Ah, the 'Flat Earth Society' strategy. Crap when they used it, and it's crap now.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#2559  Postby hackenslash » Mar 01, 2014 4:08 pm

I can't have beer. I'm on a plethora of strong medication that is not a good bedfellow for alcohol. :(
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#2560  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Mar 01, 2014 4:54 pm

hackenslash wrote:I can't have beer. I'm on a plethora of strong medication that is not a good bedfellow for alcohol. :(

I'll...just look after that beer for you...and you know...give it back when you can have it again.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Creationism