PZ Myers v Pappa (both are members of RatSkep)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: PZ Myers v Pappa (both are members of RatSkep)

#621  Postby Exi5tentialist » Jul 28, 2012 3:38 am

Gallstones wrote:
Exi5tentialist wrote:
Gallstones wrote:Intent obvious now.

Oh that's a relief! For a moment there I thought you were accusing me of insincerity.

Fuckin'-A dude.
You have ouch written in every post.

No, not at all. I visited Rationalia once and they chopped off both my hands and ripped out my vocal cords. But it doesn't hurt, really. There's nothing you can do on a keyboard with two hands that you can't do with two stumps. And who needs vocal cords on the internet anyway? No - I evaded pain months ago. I am serene, happy and completely untroubled by anything to do with Rationalia, Pappa, PZ Myers, Skepchicks, verbal sexual and emotional abuse. And I am quite happy for them to go around all over the atheist internet claiming to be guardians of free speech and rational discussion. Really, it's not a problem.
Exi5tentialist
Banned Troll

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#622  Postby Godless Infidel » Jul 28, 2012 3:43 am

Apologies for the misquotes. I would edit them but the thread would lose what little cohesion it has. :oops: :oops: :oops:
"Let it be remembered that all churches have persecuted heretics to the extent of their power. Toleration has increased only when and where the power of the church has diminished"
-Robert Green Ingersoll 1874
Godless Infidel

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#623  Postby Sciwoman » Jul 28, 2012 3:47 am

It happens. Maybe a staff member could fix it, but it's not that big a deal. ;)
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#624  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 28, 2012 3:53 am

Exi5tentialist wrote:
Gallstones wrote:
Exi5tentialist wrote:
Gallstones wrote:Intent obvious now.

Oh that's a relief! For a moment there I thought you were accusing me of insincerity.

Fuckin'-A dude.
You have ouch written in every post.

No, not at all. I visited Rationalia once and they chopped off both my hands and ripped out my vocal cords. But it doesn't hurt, really. There's nothing you can do on a keyboard with two hands that you can't do with two stumps. And who needs vocal cords on the internet anyway? No - I evaded pain months ago. I am serene, happy and completely untroubled by anything to do with Rationalia, Pappa, PZ Myers, Skepchicks, verbal sexual and emotional abuse. And I am quite happy for them to go around all over the atheist internet claiming to be guardians of free speech and rational discussion. Really, it's not a problem.

Do you want to start your own site? I think you'd like it.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#625  Postby byofrcs » Jul 28, 2012 3:54 am

Did PZM ever explain his logic ? I mean we know that given the prevalence of rape in US (and other) societies then the argument goes that rape jokes repeat the attack on this segment of society and condones rapes but are there studies to support what we should agree to do or not do ?

Romero-Sánchez et al in the Journal of Interpersonal Violence (Exposure to sexist humor and rape proclivity: the moderator effect) http://jiv.sagepub.com/content/25/12/2339 is one and it says in the abstract "Earlier studies have
shown that exposure to this type of humor increases rape proclivity and that funniness responses to jokes are a key element to consider."...and that their own study also supported this but that "However, exposure to sexist humor affects rape proclivity only when aversiveness shown to this type of humor is low. "

That should be enough to suggest that rape jokes are a very complex type of joke beyond others and so should be avoided but I'm disappointed that PZM did not explain it in that way. I suspect that if he did then others would be less inclined to complain about his stance and I seriously doubt Pappa would have posted.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#626  Postby virphen » Jul 28, 2012 3:58 am

byofrcs wrote:Did PZM ever explain his logic ? I mean we know that given the prevalence of rape in US (and other) societies then the argument goes that rape jokes repeat the attack on this segment of society and condones rapes but are there studies to support what we should agree to do or not do ?

Romero-Sánchez et al in the Journal of Interpersonal Violence (Exposure to sexist humor and rape proclivity: the moderator effect) http://jiv.sagepub.com/content/25/12/2339 is one and it says in the abstract "Earlier studies have
shown that exposure to this type of humor increases rape proclivity and that funniness responses to jokes are a key element to consider."...and that their own study also supported this but that "However, exposure to sexist humor affects rape proclivity only when aversiveness shown to this type of humor is low. "

That should be enough to suggest that rape jokes are a very complex type of joke beyond others and so should be avoided but I'm disappointed that PZM did not explain it in that way. I suspect that if he did then others would be less inclined to complain about his stance and I seriously doubt Pappa would have posted.

That might be a genuine criticism if it was a generalised rape joke.

But this was one that targeted a specific and small group of women, some if not all of which are personally known to Myers and they might consider each other to be friends. Does anyone really need to be told why that is bad? If someone even hinted at threatening friends of mine with rape I'd be a hell of a lot harsher than he was.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#627  Postby Exi5tentialist » Jul 28, 2012 3:59 am

Imagination Theory wrote:
Sciwoman wrote:He called everyone on the forum cockroaches and then asked for his account to be closed.

:shock:
Fuck, what the fuck? I hadn't heard about that. We also probably shouldn't make targeted statements either and I guess he didn't actually read the thread in question. :?

Oh the devastating power of précis !

Actually Myers didn't do that, but if it fits with what you want to believe then it's as good a cheap headline as any to take away from that conversation. Personally I think Myers was quite clever in the way that introduced the cockroach reference in the abstract.

But what am I saying? (Coughs, puts on important voice) How dare P Z Myers use such derogatory imagery to describe fellow human beings. Shame on him!
Exi5tentialist
Banned Troll

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#628  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 28, 2012 4:01 am

byofrcs wrote:Did PZM ever explain his logic ? I mean we know that given the prevalence of rape in US (and other) societies then the argument goes that rape jokes repeat the attack on this segment of society and condones rapes but are there studies to support what we should agree to do or not do ?

I have emailed him at pzmyers@gmail.com, but nothing yet. And I don't really expect a reply, he is busy and his inbox is full, but I am trying. Maybe if I blogged about it? :naughty2:

Would joking about a dog humping your leg and you calling it "rape" also increase rape proclivity? Or is it human to human jokes only? And what about "I'm going to put a boot/foot up your ass" type of things?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#629  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 28, 2012 4:03 am

virphen wrote:

But this was one that targeted a specific and small group of women, some if not all of which are personally known to Myers and they might consider each other to be friends. Does anyone really need to be told why that is bad? If someone even hinted at threatening friends of mine with rape I'd be a hell of a lot harsher than he was.

Yeah, but would you call that persons family, friends and neighbors the same things? PZ should have gone after Pappa, not two whole forums.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#630  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 28, 2012 4:04 am

Exi5tentialist wrote:
Imagination Theory wrote:
Sciwoman wrote:He called everyone on the forum cockroaches and then asked for his account to be closed.

:shock:
Fuck, what the fuck? I hadn't heard about that. We also probably shouldn't make targeted statements either and I guess he didn't actually read the thread in question. :?

Oh the devastating power of précis !

Actually Myers didn't do that, but if it fits with what you want to believe then it's as good a cheap headline as any to take away from that conversation. Personally I think Myers was quite clever in the way that introduced the cockroach reference in the abstract.

But what am I saying? (Coughs, puts on important voice) How dare P Z Myers use such derogatory imagery to describe fellow human beings. Shame on him!

Can you give me the real quote then?
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что Бог не спас.

Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
Imagination Theory

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

#631  Postby Sciwoman » Jul 28, 2012 4:16 am

http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 3#p1226853

Excuse me, he called the entire forum a 'nest of cockroaches.' (It's getting late here and that glass of wine was rather large. :cheers: )
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin
Sciwoman
RS Donator

Name: AKA Ayaan
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#632  Postby byofrcs » Jul 28, 2012 4:19 am

virphen wrote:

No it doesn't work that way in debate. You take a stance that is supportable by evidence not personal experience. Personal experience may select your initial position but it has to be supportable by other data else you fail: My criticism is genuine because he brought up RatSkep in commentary and thus implied that all here condone rape via rape jokes. Such jokes should fall foul of the FUA here. I said as much in the PZM blog and I would expect the mods here to agree based on the data.

We don't do rape jokes because the data does not support their effectiveness in promoting a rationalist/humanist society and that should be the only statement to make.

We don't support god, homoeopathy, intelligent design and many other things not because we need to be told they are bad but because they have absolutely no support. If we were to agree to do what others said was bad then we would not be atheists because a large percentage of society thinks atheism is bad. But we know they are wrong because the data says otherwise.
Last edited by byofrcs on Jul 28, 2012 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#633  Postby Exi5tentialist » Jul 28, 2012 4:21 am

Sciwoman wrote:http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1226853#p1226853

Excuse me, he called the entire forum a 'nest of cockroaches.'

Wrong again, actually.
Exi5tentialist
Banned Troll

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#634  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 28, 2012 7:50 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Exi5tentialist, you were inflammatory in the remarks you made in the following two posts:

[Reveal] Spoiler: your reported posts, relevant text in bold red font
Exi5tentialist, in this reported post, you wrote:
Gallstones wrote: :what:

Geez, I didn't know PZ owned secularism-atheism and is the arbiter of who is worthy to serve.

This libertarian-gun nut-meat eater-hunting advocate won't be bending over or sending in my dues then.
Oh, and...... :lol:

LOL! That dreadful usurper of our secular atheist leadership will be laughing on the other side of his face when we've finished with him!

We must keep this thread alive, lest the world forgets what a terrible injustice has been done to Pappa and the Rationalians by PZ's terrible prejudices, appallingly bad sense of fair play and truly cruel insect metaphors.

Exi5tentialist, in this reported post, you wrote:
Regina wrote:
Made of Stars wrote:Try branching out a little E5. There's a little more to this thread than your problem with Pappa/Rationalia.

I think it's more of a problem that E5's attempts at irony are so unfunny.

I'm sorry. I am trying to be more like Pappa - there's a man who knows how to make a joke! If I could only acquire his grasp of irony I would die a happy man.

We need you to keep your comments focused on the topic, and to stop making comments about the person.

The_Metatron

Please do not discuss this modnote or moderation in this thread as it is off-topic. If you need clarification or want to appeal this decision, please PM me, a global moderator, or a senior moderator.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#635  Postby Made of Stars » Jul 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Exi5tentialist wrote:
Sciwoman wrote:http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1226853#p1226853

Excuse me, he called the entire forum a 'nest of cockroaches.'

Wrong again, actually.

I'm not a member of Rationalia, but that's my reading of PZed's post. You've obviously got an axe to grind about that site, but do try to stick a reality-based reality, won't you? Your bitterness is tiresome, and I don't think you'll find many people here give a shit.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#636  Postby divagreen » Jul 28, 2012 8:15 pm

exi see this is what happens when you stray too far from home. :hugs:

we miss you by the way COME BACK!!!!
I never did mind the little things.
divagreen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#637  Postby divagreen » Jul 28, 2012 8:45 pm

I have been trying to respond to this post for days on end and the thread keeps getting locked. will everyone stop it already.

Mr.Samsa wrote:Not your fault, it's all mine!

I suppose such an example wouldn't be a 'joke' exactly as it's more of an argument, and wouldn't be a case of 'normalising rape' and adding to rape culture, would it? As such, feminists should argue that it would be okay, but whether they would or not is another matter. I imagine that in joke form, such an example would be something like satire? I personally like using satire to highlight the ridiculousness of somebody's position, and that could include a kind of rape joke I guess, but I'd probably feel it was justified and did more good than bad.. I think a lot of feminists disagree though.

maybe I am a terrible feminist but I agree with a lot of what you have said.

I wasn't offended at all by what papa said, I just don't find his posts funny.

I did laugh at this one though:

Would it be immoral to rape divagreen?

Not for sexual gratification or power or anything like that, just because she's so annoying.

I’m really torn on this one.

I suppose I am a little desensitised with rape jokes in general, since on that site rape is pretty much mentioned in just about every third post. a year ago, aomeone said that prostitutes and some slutty women ought to be raped with a broken bottle filled with battery acid (he was being serious) and he was ridiculed to the point where he left the site eventually, so now it is kind of a meme that some people use when someone is being blatantly idiotic about something.

I don't see it as enabling rape culture in any way, more like the opposite. if somebody makes a rape, racist or a pedophile apologist argument then it is open season and only a matter of time before they meltdown and leave the site. I think "enabling" rape culture happens when the apologist arguments are seriously entertained and when points are conceded when they really shouldn't be all under the guise of "rational discussion".

am I making sense here?

anyways I know the discussion has evolved a bit since you made this post but I would still like to hear your thoughts. :)

or anybody else's if they feel so inclined.
I never did mind the little things.
divagreen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#638  Postby pSimon » Jul 28, 2012 10:04 pm

divagreen wrote:exi see this is what happens when you stray too far from home. :hugs:

we miss you by the way COME BACK!!!!

Perhaps you can escort him home then?
pSimon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#639  Postby Tangerine Dream » Jul 29, 2012 3:46 am

Did you know that Mr. PZ Myers has 107,573 followers ? 13,732 tweets ? Truly amazing :smoke: I have a question. I mean a 32 pages thread or something like that. He must be very important. Oh yes to keep it on topic, here is my question. What does PZ stand for ? Just wondering. I thank you kindly Image
If shit was worth something, poor people would be born with no asshole.
Tangerine Dream

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#640  Postby devogue » Jul 29, 2012 4:43 am

Tangerine Dream wrote:Did you know that Mr. PZ Myers has 107,573 followers ? 13,732 tweets ? Truly amazing :smoke: I have a question. I mean a 32 pages thread or something like that. He must be very important. Oh yes to keep it on topic, here is my question. What does PZ stand for ? Just wondering. I thank you kindly Image

Precious Zebra.
It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion