Repeal the 8th.

Amendment pertaining to abortion.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Repeal the 8th.

#261  Postby Beatrice » May 15, 2018 8:11 am

Sendraks wrote:
Beatrice wrote:Thommo, did a really good job at debunking his rubbish. Me, I actually have to live with this bullshit, day in day out. I refuse to "debate" anymore. Jamest and his fellow enforced breeding advocates are wrong. I don't give a single fuck what they have to say on the topic of abortion.

And if the yes vote wins in Ireland, I don't see those attitudes going away and I do wonder how the backlash from those opinions will manifest over time. Because it really does look like, across the world, the elderly bigots are prepared to throw a massive political tantrum before they and their horrible views give way to natural wastage.

I love natural wastage. Sure it is slow but, when you realise you absolutely cannot change some bigoted motherfuckers mind, all you need to do is wait for them to die and the world slowly but surely becomes a better place.

Every time oppressed people ask for even the smallest token of equity, they experience backlash. Every fucking time. So, yes, there will be backlash. Irish women are strong though, it took them a lot of time and suffering to get to the point where finally that vote can happen. I trust that they are fully equipped to deal with those bigots. And as you said, natural wastage is wonderful! :smoke:
Phew... for a minute there, I lost myself, I lost myself.....
"GOD" is an acronym which stands for "GOD Over Djinn".
Beatrice
RS Donator

Name:
Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#262  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 15, 2018 9:07 am

jamest wrote:The only possible reasons (other than for health issues or rape issues) a mother should be given the right to kill an unborn child amount to selfishness and money.

So the "child" loses it's right to life if, through not fault of its own, it happens to come into being as a result of rape? And at what point does it gain the right to life? Presumably you would object to someone killing a 3 year old who was born as the result of rape, so when between conception and 3 years old do they become a being that it should be illegal to kill? And on what basis do you make that decision?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#263  Postby Sendraks » May 15, 2018 9:08 am

Beatrice wrote:Every time oppressed people ask for even the smallest token of equity, they experience backlash. Every fucking time. So, yes, there will be backlash. Irish women are strong though, it took them a lot of time and suffering to get to the point where finally that vote can happen. I trust that they are fully equipped to deal with those bigots. And as you said, natural wastage is wonderful! :smoke:

I'm wondering what form the backlash will take. In the UK we had Brexit, the US had Trump. I don't know much about the demographics of Ireland to know whether there is a sizeable aged bigot voting block who could try to push more right wing leadership in at the next election, then role progress back a bit.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#264  Postby Animavore » May 15, 2018 9:17 am

Who could they vote for? All the main parties pretty much support Yes except for individual politicians.

I suppose they could create their own little party, but in a country which flip flops between Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, with a side-salad of Sinn Fein and Labour, I'm not sure how they would get a foot in the door. All the main parties hover around the centre with far left and right parties on the peripheral with little seats.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#265  Postby Sendraks » May 15, 2018 9:26 am

That's very heartening to hear. :)
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#266  Postby Animavore » May 15, 2018 9:34 am

I find Ireland to be a country of little excess. Someone like Trump wouldn't be able to make waves here. He wouldn't excite or rile much people. We'd be like, "Who's this gobshite?" and he'd be ignored.
The so-called 'Irxit' campaign is making no traction. No political party supports leaving the EU and most people see no reason to leave. When the leavers spout off about Merkle and Islam they just sound angry to everyone and are told to take a chill pill.
Most of us here looked at the insanity of Brexit and Trump in horror. A common meme over here at the time was a map showing Ireland sandwiched between the UK and US with the refrain from the infamous Stealers Wheel song above and below it.
Unless something drastic happens, Ireland will always be a country that plays it politically safe.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#267  Postby Animavore » May 15, 2018 10:22 am

trump-to-the-left-of-me-brexit-to-the-right-16526556.png
trump-to-the-left-of-me-brexit-to-the-right-16526556.png (239.4 KiB) Viewed 955 times
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#268  Postby hackenslash » May 15, 2018 11:18 am

jamest wrote:That's bollocks, since the only rights a woman loses if she loses the power to abort a child growing within her, is the power (through present law) to cull that child.

And again you're using emotional language, eliding all sorts of cogent argumentation and choosing the phrase 'cull that child'. You seriously expect anybody to believe you haven't thought about this before will all the PRATTs you're erecting?

I've already told you what rights you're removing from the woman, namely bodily autonomy. You're forcing somebody into a position of slavery. That's what this is about, James. All humans have the right to bodily autonomy above all other things. It's the foundation of all rights and, without it, the notion of a right is complete fucking nonsense.

This one principle is precisely why secular morality is superior in every way to the other dreck passed off as morality. This one simple principle, at the foundation of all morality, simply expressed as 'your rights end where my rights begin' is the foundation of every moral transaction. Absent this, there is and can be no morality.

You are granting a clump of cells rights not afforded anybody else in any other situation, and it comes at the cost of breaching that simple threshold, and undermines the entire foundation of all moral and ethical reasoning.

To grant the force of law to such an egregious notion is make society a slave culture. There is no greater immorality than this, and there's certainly no greater crime on society. Having full control of reproductive health in the hands of those who need it is the clearest route to a healthier, happier society and reduction in abortions. This is so obvious it should hardly need to be pointed out. If you really want to reduce the number of abortions, supporting the repeal of bullshit like the 8th Amendment is exactly the sort of thing you should be doing.

Go read the stats, James.

Abortion shouldn't even be considered a moral issue, and it most certainly shouldn't be the source of vilification at having to make what in the vast majority of cases would be the most difficult decision in a woman's life.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#269  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Being required to be pregnant and deliver a baby against their will is a profound violation of anyone's bodily autonomy. Add all the life-threatening aspects of pregnancy and childbirth and it's even worse than that. It will potentially kill them. It will without a question permanently change their body and life, which shouldn't be foisted on anyone.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#270  Postby Thommo » May 15, 2018 1:05 pm

I see last Thursday's Newsnight had a feature about a rise in anti-abortion campaigners in the UK, which covered groups that have come here from Ireland and the USA.

It also featured a bloke who came up in a discussion about free speech here:
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/news- ... l#p2622477

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p066twl3

Quite interesting.
Thommo

Print view this post

#271  Postby Animavore » May 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Looks like the Referendum debate on RTÉ last night was a bit of an abortion. Also the problem with "balance".

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/claire-byr ... ure-626015
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#272  Postby THWOTH » May 15, 2018 7:15 pm

In my town we have a regular, ongoing protest against abortion outside the local hospital. I say 'protest' - it's three old biddies with a religiously-inspired banner tied to the railings and a wad of unhanded-out leaflets. The irony is that there's no abortion clinic at the hospital - the only terminations carried out there will be necessary, emergency procedures. Their 'pro-life' protests has little to do with what's actually taking place and everything to do with demonstrating the superiority of their piety.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#273  Postby jamest » May 15, 2018 8:27 pm

hackenslash wrote:
jamest wrote:That's bollocks, since the only rights a woman loses if she loses the power to abort a child growing within her, is the power (through present law) to cull that child.

And again you're using emotional language, eliding all sorts of cogent argumentation and choosing the phrase 'cull that child'. You seriously expect anybody to believe you haven't thought about this before will all the PRATTs you're erecting?

To my shame I've never seriously formulated an opinion about abortion before, no. Why would I not have expressed these opinions before if I had done so? I'm not exactly shy about expressing controversial opinions in here.

I've already told you what rights you're removing from the woman, namely bodily autonomy. You're forcing somebody into a position of slavery. That's what this is about, James. All humans have the right to bodily autonomy above all other things. It's the foundation of all rights and, without it, the notion of a right is complete fucking nonsense.

I've addressed this point already. The child is not her mum and so there's more than one body to consider. When a woman has an abortion she's acting upon two bodies, one of those not her. Hence, having an abortion violates the child's body and life.

This one principle is precisely why secular morality is superior in every way to the other dreck passed off as morality.

Then secular morality is flawed in this instance, since the principle of bodily autonomy does not and certainly should not favour one individual over the other. Why is this difficult for you to comprehend? I have no idea.

You are granting a clump of cells rights not afforded anybody else in any other situation, and it comes at the cost of breaching that simple threshold, and undermines the entire foundation of all moral and ethical reasoning.

Incorrect, I'm granting a developing human being the exact same rights and protection granted to the mother. If bodily autonomy applies to the mother then it must apply to the child also, in which case the mother does not have the right to end the child's life.

To grant the force of law to such an egregious notion is make society a slave culture. There is no greater immorality than this, and there's certainly no greater crime on society. Having full control of reproductive health in the hands of those who need it is the clearest route to a healthier, happier society and reduction in abortions. This is so obvious it should hardly need to be pointed out. If you really want to reduce the number of abortions, supporting the repeal of bullshit like the 8th Amendment is exactly the sort of thing you should be doing.

I don't give two fucks for religious morality. If I don't have reason for a belief, then I reject the belief. It's the way I am.

The Laws and rights of a land are applicable to all humans therein, including unborn humans. One can only support 'casual' abortion if one rejects the notion that unborn children are human. That's the argument I need to see from you, in order to change my mind. Not this bollocks about bodily autonomy only applying to women.

Btw, it's good to see you posting again. My regards.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#274  Postby jamest » May 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Being required to be pregnant and deliver a baby against their will is a profound violation of anyone's bodily autonomy.

Nobody is 'required' to be pregnant. For the most part it's a consequence of choosing to have sex. In my previous post to hackenslash I've explained that abortion is an act involving two bodies, not one, so the principle of bodily autonomy should apply equally to both. Abortion deprives the child of that right.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#275  Postby Animavore » May 15, 2018 9:01 pm

jamest wrote:
Rachel Bronwyn wrote:Being required to be pregnant and deliver a baby against their will is a profound violation of anyone's bodily autonomy.

Nobody is 'required' to be pregnant. For the most part it's a consequence of choosing to have sex. In my previous post to hackenslash I've explained that abortion is an act involving two bodies, not one, so the principle of bodily autonomy should apply equally to both. Abortion deprives the child of that right.

And just how, exactly, would a foetus have bodily autonomy?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#276  Postby THWOTH » May 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Any way jamest says so of course. ;)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#277  Postby Sendraks » May 15, 2018 9:37 pm

jamest wrote:

Ah, nothing more than good old judgemental religious bigotry about what people do with their bodies.

Yet another irrational argument which can be safely ignored.

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#278  Postby BlackBart » May 15, 2018 9:46 pm

So...wait...we're not allowed to kill this 'human child' unless it's the product of a rape? Am I getting this right? :ask:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#279  Postby I'm With Stupid » May 15, 2018 9:56 pm

THWOTH wrote:In my town we have a regular, ongoing protest against abortion outside the local hospital. I say 'protest' - it's three old biddies with a religiously-inspired banner tied to the railings and a wad of unhanded-out leaflets. The irony is that there's no abortion clinic at the hospital - the only terminations carried out there will be necessary, emergency procedures. Their 'pro-life' protests has little to do with what's actually taking place and everything to do with demonstrating the superiority of their piety.

I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#280  Postby THWOTH » May 15, 2018 10:18 pm

:lol:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion