"I am you" nonsense

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: "I am you" nonsense

#921  Postby Kafei » Dec 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
What have you said, here?

Only that Griffiths isn't saying much at all. Kafei goes on about "biologically normal" as if it meant something important, but even Griffiths' strongest claim for it, which is not supported by his evidence, that "70%" have CME from high doses of perception distorting drugs, is irrelevant to someone claiming that CME has anything to do with "seeing God".

Well that's fine, Graham. I don't know what 'seeing God' could possibly refer to. Worse yet, neither do you. So what do you conclude when someone else talks about 'seeing God'? You conclude you don't know what he's talking about. What do perception-distorting drugs do? They distort perception. This comes directly from the Department of Tautology Department.

They don't simply distort perception, otherwise these researchers wouldn't apply this term "complete" mystical experience. I'd also add that the reason you can't fathom this phrase "seeing God" is precisely due to the fact that you've not had this experience for yourself.

Cito di Pense wrote:
What kind of shit is this, where we actually have to try to figure out what Kafei thinks he's saying? If hundreds of posts from Kafei have not convinced you that he's not very focused, then nothing will.

I think it's not only on my behalf, especially if you've an attitude of doubt and you think I'm trolling. You've shown no effort to even attempt to grasp the implications of the research. That's precisely why I say the "complete" mystical experience is the greatest challenge for the atheist, 'cause then you don't have to intellectually grope to understand by reading however many posts in a thread about it, you'd rather then understand by direct intuition within a phenomenon in consciousness.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#922  Postby Thommo » Dec 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Kafei wrote:They don't simply distort perception, otherwise these researchers wouldn't apply this term "complete" mystical experience.

:eh:

No.
Thommo

Print view this post

#923  Postby newolder » Dec 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Kafei wrote:...

That's precisely why I say the "complete" mystical experience is the greatest challenge for the atheist, 'cause then you don't have to intellectually grope to understand by reading however many posts in a thread about it, you'd rather then understand by direct intuition within a phenomenon in consciousness.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Have you considered marketing mono-rail technology to small urban communities? :popcorn:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#924  Postby Kafei » Dec 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Thommo wrote:
Kafei wrote:They don't simply distort perception, otherwise these researchers wouldn't apply this term "complete" mystical experience.

No.

Pressing on your closed eyelids can distort your perception, but that doesn't say much about the experience now, does it?

newolder wrote:

That's precisely why I say the "complete" mystical experience is the greatest challenge for the atheist, 'cause then you don't have to intellectually grope to understand by reading however many posts in a thread about it, you'd rather then understand by direct intuition within a phenomenon in consciousness.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Have you considered marketing mono-rail technology to small urban communities? :popcorn:

Have you considered actually taking a little more sincerity in grasping precisely what this research entails or what the implications are?
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#925  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Kafei wrote:[ I'd also add that the reason you can't fathom this phrase "seeing God" is precisely due to the fact that you've not had this experience for yourself. .

The spoons still aren't bending, Kafei. If only you had a proper sermon prepared, one that could bend the spoons, at least enough to cause me to recognize the experience.

Over and over you've claimed that skepticism derives from not having had "the experience". But you'd only admit that I'd had the experience if I wasn't skeptical of it. See how that works? Those who have not seen, do not believe!
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#926  Postby GrahamH » Dec 13, 2018 2:46 pm

Kafei wrote:
They don't simply distort perception, otherwise these researchers wouldn't apply this term "complete" mystical experience..

That does not follow. We can give an account for all aspects of CME in terms of perceptual distortions. So all "complete" means is that all those distortions have occurred and been interpreted as "mystical".
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#927  Postby newolder » Dec 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Have you considered actually taking a little more sincerity in grasping precisely what this research entails or what the implications are?

Mono-rail, mono-rail, mono-rail,
and that's that!
[Curtain]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#928  Postby Thommo » Dec 13, 2018 3:06 pm

Kafei wrote:
Thommo wrote:

No.

Pressing on your closed eyelids can distort your perception, but that doesn't say much about the experience now, does it?

Right! Exactly the same thing. And giving it a name wouldn't change that. There is no reason whatsoever to claim that the name people give to something affects what it is.

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." - Abraham Lincoln

All of this is why the researchers agree that their research shows nothing about metaphysics, God or ultimate reality.
Thommo

Print view this post

#929  Postby GrahamH » Dec 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Kafei wrote:

Until you can work out a way to test the validity of your own CME you won't be able to sell it to me. The line that taking drugs will make me believe something I wouldn't otherwise have any reason to believe and that I couldn't test it in any way is not an attractive proposition.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#930  Postby Kafei » Dec 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Kafei wrote:[ I'd also add that the reason you can't fathom this phrase "seeing God" is precisely due to the fact that you've not had this experience for yourself. .

The spoons still aren't bending, Kafei. If only you had a proper sermon prepared, one that could bend the spoons, at least enough to cause me to recognize the experience.

Over and over you've claimed that skepticism derives from not having had "the experience". But you'd only admit that I'd had the experience if I wasn't skeptical of it. See how that works? Those who have not seen, do not believe!
Attachments
IMG5815374466230988536.jpg
IMG5815374466230988536.jpg (53.47 KiB) Viewed 405 times
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#931  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Kafei wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Don't forget, Kafei: You're begging ME to treat this as science. I know you do, but your ignorance of scientific method is deep and wide.

I'm not begging you.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Dec 13, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#932  Postby Kafei » Dec 13, 2018 4:09 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Kafei wrote:

Until you can work out a way to test the validity of your own CME you won't be able to sell it to me. The line that taking drugs will make me believe something I wouldn't otherwise have any reason to believe and that I couldn't test it in any way is not an attractive proposition.

Psychedelics aren't required to elicit these mystical states of consciousness. However, they've proven reliable at triggering this experience on-demand. Meditation can take years sometimes, consider the trials and tribulations of Anthony the Great. Gautama practiced an extreme form of asceticism which he picked up from the Hindus. Basically, entheogens offer the most facile route to this experience.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#933  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Kafei wrote:Basically, entheogens offer the most facile route to this experience.

Wait. I must be forgetting something. Why do I want this 'experience'? So can tell anecdotes that I had this 'experience'? Where's the sales pitch?

I'm trying to figure out what good it's done you, and there's nothing in what you write that doesn't broadcast frustration. There's nothing in what you write that suggests anything other than that you've fried a few neurons using powerful drugs. Let's say you had a CME and felt yourself close to God. How come your patter is full of so much boobery?

You blame skepticism on the assumption that the skeptics haven't had the 'experience'. Otherwise, they'd believe! Right?

Kafei wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Don't forget, Kafei: You're begging ME to treat this as science. I know you do, but your ignorance of scientific method is deep and wide.

I'm not begging you.

Yes, you are. Where are the deep insights? The visions of higher realities? You're just begging me to ingest 'entheogens', so I can believe, too, and leave William James to give the sales pitch, because you're not up to the task.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Dec 13, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#934  Postby Thommo » Dec 13, 2018 4:21 pm

facile
/ˈfasʌɪl,ˈfasɪl/
adjective
adjective: facile

ignoring the true complexities of an issue; superficial.

Seems like the right word.

Although why it would be "this experience" rather than "an experience which might have some of these features" is another matter.
Thommo

Print view this post

#935  Postby Kafei » Dec 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Thommo wrote:
facile
/ˈfasʌɪl,ˈfasɪl/
adjective
adjective: facile

ignoring the true complexities of an issue; superficial.

Seems like the right word.

Although why it would be "this experience" rather than "an experience which might have some of these features" is another matter.

fac·ile
/ˈfasəl/Submit
adjective
(especially of a theory or argument) appearing neat and comprehensive only by ignoring the true complexities of an issue; superficial.
synonyms: simplistic, superficial, oversimplified; More
(especially of success in sports) easily achieved; effortless.
"a facile victory"
synonyms: effortless, easy, undemanding, unexacting, painless, trouble-free
"he achieved a facile victory"

The second entry is more aligned with the context in which I've used this word.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#936  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Kafei wrote:
The second entry is more aligned with the context in which I've used this word.

You're still forgetting to point out reasons why anyone would want it, whatever it is, facile or otherwise. Please don't use anecdotes about how life-changing it is. Demonstrate that you've gained something from it. You know, besides an obsession.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Dec 13, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#937  Postby GrahamH » Dec 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Kafei wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Kafei wrote:

Psychedelics aren't required to elicit these mystical states of consciousness. However, they've proven reliable at triggering this experience on-demand. Meditation can take years sometimes, consider the trials and tribulations of Anthony the Great. Gautama practiced an extreme form of asceticism which he picked up from the Hindus. Basically, entheogens offer the most facile route to this experience.

Whatever the route, there's still no testing it is there? Various ways to have visions of dragons but no way to tell if the dragons or real or illusory. Reason suggest they are illusory but you say I could distort my perceptions in various extra ways so that the dragons would "intuitively" seem real and leave me desperate to convince others I had seen dragons and they could too, if only they would set aside scepticism and dedicate time and effort and take drugs.

No thanks.

You work out how to test the experience and report back if you manage to verify any of it as real.
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#938  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 13, 2018 4:40 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Kafei wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Kafei wrote:

Whatever the route, there's still no testing it is there? Various ways to have visions of dragons but no way to tell if the dragons or real or illusory. Reason suggest they are illusory but you say I could distort my perceptions in various extra ways so that the dragons would "intuitively" seem real and leave me desperate to convince others I had seen dragons and they could too, if only they would set aside scepticism and dedicate time and effort and take drugs.

Me, I think I'll just press on my eyeballs.

Cito di Pense

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#939  Postby Thommo » Dec 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Kafei wrote:The second entry is more aligned with the context in which I've used this word.

I mean fair enough, but I don't know why you choose the joke as the post or point to respond to.
Thommo

Print view this post

#940  Postby Kafei » Dec 13, 2018 4:44 pm

GrahamH wrote:
Kafei wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Kafei wrote:

No thanks.

You work out how to test the experience and report back if you manage to verify any of it as real.

That's a false analogy, because I believe that's what this research is, that these mystical states of consciousness seem to be part of how consciousness itself is constructed. That's what's real about this phenomenon in consciousness, and according to the Perennial philosophy, the highest mystical vision in each of the major religions is essentially synonymous. I understand you're skeptical of this, but to there's no reason to flat-out reject this without even considering it.

Cito di Pense wrote:
GrahamH wrote:
Kafei wrote:
GrahamH wrote:

Me, I think I'll just press on my eyeballs.

Sure, you can do that, but I wouldn't compare that to a "complete" mystical experience. These are two very different phenomena.
Last edited by Kafei on Dec 13, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kafei
Banned Troll

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking