Microsoft announces Windows 10

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Microsoft announces Windows 10

#121  Postby The_Piper » Mar 24, 2016 12:21 pm

DaveD wrote:When I upgraded, I logged in with my Hotmail account, then I went to the start menu and clicked on my name, then "Change account settings". There's an option to verify your account on the screen that appears. Mine sent a code to a linked Gmail account, which I entered into the next screen, and I got full admin privileges.

The start menu is about the only thing I'm not keen on, so I changed it with "Classic Shell": http://www.classicshell.net/
The top menu item now is "Start Menu (Windows)" which takes you to the Windows 10 menu, so maybe I'll get used to it in time. For now I've got something I'm comfortable with.

Is that an Ewok, standing outside a port-a-potty? Killer!
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#122  Postby DaveD » Mar 24, 2016 3:07 pm

:rofl:
It's one of four virtual desktops, using photos I've "colourised". Windows 10 has virtual desktops, but they don't stay put if you close a program on them, and you can't use different wallpapers on each one, so I use Dexpot http://dexpot.de/?lang=en
I also use Nexus dock http://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp
I have a dual boot computer, Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.10, and I like to give them a broadly similar look so my poor old brain doesn't get too confused! There are enough differences that I'll know which system I'm on, but the mouse pointer is usually in roughly the right place by the time my brain catches up!
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#123  Postby TopCat » Mar 24, 2016 3:12 pm

Don't get me started on Win 10 virtual desktops.

What a half-arsed implementation it is - completely pointless if you already have several monitors. Now, if you could have a different set of Windows shortcuts on different desktops, different background colours, etc, now you'd be talking.

I asked a friend who uses Macs all the time whether its virtual desktops could do this, and she didn't think they could.

What an opportunity to make something both genuinely useful, and better than Apple's implementation.

But as it is, it's a waste of space. Grr.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#124  Postby The_Piper » Mar 24, 2016 4:06 pm

DaveD wrote::rofl:
It's one of four virtual desktops, using photos I've "colourised". Windows 10 has virtual desktops, but they don't stay put if you close a program on them, and you can't use different wallpapers on each one, so I use Dexpot http://dexpot.de/?lang=en
I also use Nexus dock http://www.winstep.net/nexus.asp
I have a dual boot computer, Windows 10 and Ubuntu 15.10, and I like to give them a broadly similar look so my poor old brain doesn't get too confused! There are enough differences that I'll know which system I'm on, but the mouse pointer is usually in roughly the right place by the time my brain catches up!

:lol:
Hmm, not to stray off topic, but why do use virtual desktops? I don't even know what one is. Btw, on that first link, for less than a second the picture on the desktop is a woodchuck, it's the first example they showed. I'm not the only one who has a woodchuck desktop, apparently. :lol: :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#125  Postby DaveD » Mar 24, 2016 4:20 pm

The_Piper wrote:Hmm, not to stray off topic, but why do use virtual desktops?

I find it easier to find stuff I've opened, than if everything is open on one desktop. I tend to use the first desktop just for Firefox, and the others for graphics programs, word processing etc.
You can have any number of desktops, resources permitting, but I find four to be plenty.
DaveD

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#126  Postby The_Piper » Mar 24, 2016 4:43 pm

DaveD wrote:
The_Piper wrote:Hmm, not to stray off topic, but why do use virtual desktops?

I find it easier to find stuff I've opened, than if everything is open on one desktop. I tend to use the first desktop just for Firefox, and the others for graphics programs, word processing etc.
You can have any number of desktops, resources permitting, but I find four to be plenty.

Ok, I use bookmarks and file folders for that purpose I guess. It's probably considered a primitive way of doing things nowadays. I'm appreciating the past. :mrgreen:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#127  Postby DaveD » Mar 24, 2016 4:54 pm

I lost Windows for a while, and just used Ubuntu, where virtual desktops are standard. I just got used to them.
DaveD

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#128  Postby NineBerry » Mar 24, 2016 4:56 pm

You don't need virtual desktops when you have three monitors or more :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#129  Postby The_Piper » Mar 24, 2016 5:04 pm

Someday I'll make the space in here to do that. So it'll look like a command center. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#130  Postby VazScep » Mar 24, 2016 5:54 pm

NineBerry wrote:You don't need virtual desktops when you have three monitors or more :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I don't use virtual desktops for that. If I want lots of stuff visible at once, I'll find a way to get lots of stuff visible at once. And even with a dual screen setup, I'm still sharing them between five virtuals.

A virtual desktop is a way to have a configuration of windows laid out in the background while you work on something else. I use a tiling window manager, so the things are an absolute must.

I do something similar in Emacs by saving frame configurations to registers.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#131  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Sounds to much like work. I had in those days 3 monitors. Looked impressive but was a pain.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#132  Postby felltoearth » Mar 24, 2016 6:02 pm

TopCat wrote:Don't get me started on Win 10 virtual desktops.

What a half-arsed implementation it is - completely pointless if you already have several monitors. Now, if you could have a different set of Windows shortcuts on different desktops, different background colours, etc, now you'd be talking.

I asked a friend who uses Macs all the time whether its virtual desktops could do this, and she didn't think they could.

What an opportunity to make something both genuinely useful, and better than Apple's implementation.

But as it is, it's a waste of space. Grr.

Macs do and do all the other things you mention.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Microsoft announces Windows 10

#133  Postby felltoearth » Mar 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Here is my virtual desktop arrangement. Current task items on D1, email on D2, webstuff on D3, CAD would be on D4 if I was working on it. It helps with any app that uses pallettes.

"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#134  Postby minininja » Jul 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Fuck you fucking Microsoft. Automatic upgrade my swollen left bollock. What the fuck have you done to my PC? :rage:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#135  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 13, 2016 4:04 pm

minininja wrote:Fuck you fucking Microsoft. Automatic upgrade my swollen left bollock. What the fuck have you done to my PC? :rage:

There is everything wrong with your Windows 10 computer.
Do not attempt to adjust anything. We are controlling your OS.
If we wish to install updates, we will do it without your permission.
When we wish to spy on you, remember that you agreed to our EULA.
We will harvest your personal data, and put it on the cloud.
We will control your computer. We will force Windows 10 upon you.
For the life of the OS; sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear.
You are about to experience an invasive OS which reaches from the inner mind to...
The Outer Limits.

I’m using GWX Control Panel to stop MS from taking control of my computers. I have 5 towers and a laptop, although only 4 of the 6 connect to the Internet. Incidentally, when you say ‘no’ to the Win10 update, they ignore you. If you stop the upgrade completely, they add it in again, it’s hidden inside security updates similar to shady companies that add extra programs, ads etc. to a ‘free’ download.

Windows 10 is spyware on steroids. Privacy is a thing of the past. And when one thinks about it… I know of no company in the entire world that makes money giving their product away for free.

Now one can (if they know how and can edit the registry etc.) defeat the MS spyware, but it’s a losing game. Turn off 20 spyware apps, they (MS) will add them in again hidden within updates. Turn those off; they’ll do it again ad infinitum.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 9:24 am

Lol. Gotta love the conspiracy theory nonsense.

:tinfoil:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 14, 2016 1:06 pm

I think Google are far more dangerous.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#138  Postby VazScep » Jul 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I think Google are far more dangerous.
As far as making "privacy is a thing of the past", Microsoft are struggling to keep up. Google has access to a fuck ton of my private emails even though I don't use gmail, and it's not shy about data-mining.

I'm making a chancy bet on technology change rather than expecting Microsoft or Google to change their behaviour voluntarily. End-to-end encryption solves a lot as far as email goes, but hardly anyone can use it.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 14, 2016 1:58 pm

Animavore wrote:Lol. Gotta love the conspiracy theory nonsense.

:tinfoil:

What conspiracy theory are you referring to? :scratch:

Win10 is the penultimate invasive OS. Nothing you do on your computer is hidden from them. MS is now into the ‘selling data market’ rather than making money by selling their OS as they did in previous versions.

I wouldn’t accept Win10 even if they paid me to take it. I’ve already tried it out on one of my computers. I dumped it before the 30-day limit. I won’t knock it, from an OS POV, it’s actually not bad, but, a very important ‘but’, I have no intentions of handing over the keys to my computer to them so they can data mine me.

And data mine they do!
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 2:01 pm

Sure, bro. :tinfoil:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler