Microsoft announces Windows 10

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Microsoft announces Windows 10

#181  Postby Mike_L » Jul 15, 2016 10:53 am

Animavore wrote:Already dealt with in the article I posted a couple of pages ago. Do try to keep up.

Okay, sorry. (Trying to do a watercolour illustration and browsing here at the same time... never been good at multitasking. The illustration isn't looking all that good either).

Still, as I said, the Russians know enough to steer clear of Windows 10! :grin:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#182  Postby proudfootz » Jul 15, 2016 12:30 pm

I don't know much about software, but I find some of the changes to how my computer functions under Windows 10 to be frustrating.

For example, now my photos were archived changed to a different location under a different file name, and it took me some time to figure out the new location. This is probably not a problem for someone who is computer literate, but I was quite used to the way it was before the change.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#183  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Ah yes, these "facts and data" only you're privy to. There was a global warming denialist using similar arguments just the other day here.

Actually all of the facts and data were here just for the asking, but rather than ask for them, you decided to use tinfoil hats and conspiracy instead. Pity that!

See rather than just waiting for you, I actually looked for the facts and data to support much of your claims, and all I could find was wide speculation. I can find no evidence that Microsoft is selling data. None that Windows 10 was "spyware on steroids". Or that nothing that we do on our computers is hidden from them. And the claim Windows 10 is free, which was your opening gambit, is just flat out wrong. The closing date for the offer is on the 29th of this month.

Lol. Gotta love the Microsoft fanboys nonsense.

:tinfoil:
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#184  Postby aban57 » Jul 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Ah yes, these "facts and data" only you're privy to. There was a global warming denialist using similar arguments just the other day here.

Actually all of the facts and data were here just for the asking, but rather than ask for them, you decided to use tinfoil hats and conspiracy instead. Pity that!

See rather than just waiting for you, I actually looked for the facts and data to support much of your claims, and all I could find was wide speculation. I can find no evidence that Microsoft is selling data. None that Windows 10 was "spyware on steroids". Or that nothing that we do on our computers is hidden from them. And the claim Windows 10 is free, which was your opening gambit, is just flat out wrong. The closing date for the offer is on the 29th of this month.

Yeah, yeah, keep telling yourself that. :what: Avoiding answering rebuttals, repeating the same nonsense over and over without a single evidence... Be careful, you start sounding like Jayjay...
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#185  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 1:52 pm

aban57 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

Yeah, yeah, keep telling yourself that. :what: Avoiding answering rebuttals, repeating the same nonsense over and over without a single evidence... Be careful, you start sounding like Jayjay...

You bought the previous non-responses (tinfoil hats and the side-dishes of conspiracy) from Ani (hook, line and sinker) with nary a word of dissent or even the most basic of challenges, why don’t you buy it from me? :scratch:

And in your post #147 you gave us bogus information, which I partially corrected for you... yet someone gave you a thumbup for providing misinformation. :dizzy:

I think we need a two-way street here ‘cause one-way streets accomplish, well we all know what they accomplish.

Be careful, you’re starting to sound like... well let’s not put a name to it.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#186  Postby aban57 » Jul 15, 2016 1:57 pm

aban57 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Here's an article for level-minded, non-conspiratorial individuals.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microso ... indows-10/

Ask yourself just one simple question.

If Win10 is the cat’s meow... why is it free? :scratch:

Can you name me just ‘one’ company that makes money giving their product away for free?

Regardless though, if anyone wants Win10, go for it, however, (just as one example) trace the update applet’s behaviour over the course of time and see how it morphed from being benign and friendly to, not just being aggressive, but to the point where the end user simply has no choice or say in the matter. It’s forced UPON YOU, like it or lump it.

No need for tinfoil hats... welcome to the age of information sharing... and enjoy!

Oh, and if you’re tech savvy, remove the applet and then watch it return (with a vengeance) hidden inside security updates. One would think that saying ‘no thanks’ would mean just that, but MS won’t accept a simple ‘no’. Odd that! :think:

W10 is not free. If you run W7 or previous, it's not free. If you buy a new computer, it's not free. It's free only for those who have W8, and it's some kind of compensation because how shit this one was. And I'm pretty sure this offer will be limited in time.

So do tell me, where is the misinformation here ? I'd like to know, because I really don't see it. You're lying again.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#187  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 2:15 pm

aban57 wrote:
aban57 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Here's an article for level-minded, non-conspiratorial individuals.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microso ... indows-10/

Ask yourself just one simple question.

If Win10 is the cat’s meow... why is it free? :scratch:

Can you name me just ‘one’ company that makes money giving their product away for free?

Regardless though, if anyone wants Win10, go for it, however, (just as one example) trace the update applet’s behaviour over the course of time and see how it morphed from being benign and friendly to, not just being aggressive, but to the point where the end user simply has no choice or say in the matter. It’s forced UPON YOU, like it or lump it.

No need for tinfoil hats... welcome to the age of information sharing... and enjoy!

Oh, and if you’re tech savvy, remove the applet and then watch it return (with a vengeance) hidden inside security updates. One would think that saying ‘no thanks’ would mean just that, but MS won’t accept a simple ‘no’. Odd that! :think:

W10 is not free. If you run W7 or previous, it's not free. If you buy a new computer, it's not free. It's free only for those who have W8, and it's some kind of compensation because how shit this one was. And I'm pretty sure this offer will be limited in time.

So do tell me, where is the misinformation here ? I'd like to know, because I really don't see it. You're lying again.

Read my post # 152.

I’m lying again? What fucking planet are you from and from which orifice did that festering pile of shit originate?

And before you call a member a liar, get your fucking facts straight!

P.S. Had you simply asked me to clarify that post I would have had no problem doing just that, but calling me a liar, for no reason whatsoever, means that you get back the shit that you give out.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#188  Postby Fallible » Jul 15, 2016 2:30 pm

No one called you a liar, that is either a misunderstanding on your part or a lie. Do you actually have any evidence to offer? It would be good to kind of get back to the topic of the thread.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#189  Postby aban57 » Jul 15, 2016 2:33 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
And in your post #147 you gave us bogus information, which I partially corrected for you... yet someone gave you a thumbup for providing misinformation. :dizzy:

Skinny Puppy wrote:
You’re wrong. Win10 is free for owners of Windows 7. I have 2 computers (one desktop and one laptop with Win7) and both were scheduled for the free update. I also have Win8.1 which (naturally) qualifies for the free update.

From Microsoft.com :

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified and genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market.

W10 is not available for free for all W7 versions. I've been running W7 on my computer for several years now, a genuine W7 version on DVD, and never have the update proposed, like it did on my laptop that was on W8.1. So you didn't correct anything, since W10 is not free for all W7 users.
And it's still not free for new computers, but I guess that's what you referred to when you said "partially corrected you".

And to be honest, I hadn't seen you post number 152 when I wrote my message (which means that the lying part is a mistake, sorry about that), but reading it doesn't change the fact that you ignored some of the information given to you to make a stupid generalization that serves as a base to your conspiracy theory.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#190  Postby BlackBart » Jul 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Mike_L wrote:Still, as I said, the Russians know enough to steer clear of Windows 10! :grin:

Really? What is it exactly that they know?
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#191  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 3:16 pm

aban57 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

Skinny Puppy wrote:
You’re wrong. Win10 is free for owners of Windows 7. I have 2 computers (one desktop and one laptop with Win7) and both were scheduled for the free update. I also have Win8.1 which (naturally) qualifies for the free update.

From Microsoft.com :

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified and genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market.

W10 is not available for free for all W7 versions. I've been running W7 on my computer for several years now, a genuine W7 version on DVD, and never have the update proposed, like it did on my laptop that was on W8.1. So you didn't correct anything, since W10 is not free for all W7 users.
And it's still not free for new computers, but I guess that's what you referred to when you said "partially corrected you".

And to be honest, I hadn't seen you post number 152 when I wrote my message (which means that the lying part is a mistake, sorry about that), but reading it doesn't change the fact that you ignored some of the information given to you to make a stupid generalization that serves as a base to your conspiracy theory.

Did you request the update? I’m assuming that you probably didn’t based upon what you’ve said. That’s actually quite important. As best I know, unless you specifically ask MS for the upgrade you won’t get the upgrade applet in your taskbar. I did request it for both of my Windows 7 computers, I don’t recall whether I requested it or not for my Windows 8.1 computer. The upgrade process has been quite a convoluted mess with that applet being removed only to return again and with its messages being changed over-and-over again as the deadline approached. It morphed from voluntary to being installed regardless of the user’s preference. Many a company/personal computer was updated in the dead of night to the surprise of those affected when they went to use their computer in the AM since they were sleeping when that warning message appeared.

Microsoft operating system chief Terry Myerson announced that current users of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to upgrade to the new operating system for free as long as they do so within one year of Windows 10's July 29 launch. Once you’ve claimed the upgrade,

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

I had quite a number of ‘Your computer will update in 14:34 minutes’ applets appear on numerous days, but fortunately, I was at the computer when they appeared. There was no ‘I don’t want it’ at that point, you simply had to take it. I stopped it on all of my computers by using GWX Control Panel and now my computers don’t have that update applet anymore and will remain as is.

No problem if you didn’t see my post #152. :thumbup: That post of mine was polite and I was simply answering your post. Anyway, it’s water under the bridge!

And please, let me reiterate this (hopefully for the last time) I’m not a conspiracy theorist.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#192  Postby Animavore » Jul 15, 2016 3:25 pm

Conspiracy theorists always say that.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#193  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Fallible wrote:No one called you a liar, that is either a misunderstanding on your part or a lie. Do you actually have any evidence to offer? It would be good to kind of get back to the topic of the thread.

Since you’ve already (allegedly) sided with Ani’s POV, how do you intend to remain objective?

You and I both know full well that you are hostile to my posts. Not here to speak of, but in numerous threads on the forum. You don’t like the way that I post, (that’s a fact, like my .gifs, humour etc.) which is fine by me, but engaging with you would be pointless.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#194  Postby Fallible » Jul 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Do you have anything or not? Only this is getting fucking boring. No one cares about what I think of your posts, it's irrelevant.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#195  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Animavore wrote:Conspiracy theorists always say that.

Give it a rest for fuck’s sake! Now you’re just fucking trolling this thread!
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#196  Postby BlackBart » Jul 15, 2016 3:34 pm

If service pack 1 hasn't been applied to Windows 7 it won't offer the Windows 10 upgrade. This was the same for Windows 8 which won't offer the 10 upgrade if the 8.1 upgrade hadn't been installed.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#197  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 3:37 pm

Fallible wrote:Do you have anything or not? Only this is getting fucking boring. No one cares about what I think of your posts, it's irrelevant.

It is relevant because you have virtually no problems with the non-stop trolling of this thread by Ani, yet you have the audacity to expect me to engage you when your objectivity is gravely in question.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#198  Postby Fallible » Jul 15, 2016 3:39 pm

I expect exactly fuck all, and so far I'm not disappointed. Now stop trying to divert attention onto anything but backing up what you said. You get no more responses from me to latch onto.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#199  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 3:41 pm

BlackBart wrote:If service pack 1 hasn't been applied to Windows 7 it won't offer the Windows 10 upgrade. This was the same for Windows 8 which won't offer the 10 upgrade if the 8.1 upgrade hadn't been installed.

Thanks for that info. I have Windows 8.1 so it probably did it on its own, I simply don’t recall. And I have the SP1 on both of my Win 7 computers. The Windows 8.1 computer (a kick-ass Dell) came preinstalled with the 8.1 upgrade.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#200  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Fallible wrote:I expect exactly fuck all, and so far I'm not disappointed. Now stop trying to divert attention onto anything but backing up what you said. You get no more responses from me to latch onto.

Oh thank fuck for that! :happydance: :jump:
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology