Microsoft announces Windows 10

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Microsoft announces Windows 10

#161  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 14, 2016 6:27 pm

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
You needn’t watch the videos since leveling an alleged conspiracy theory easily (hands down) trumps any and all data and it’s an easy-as-pie response to any challenges one may face.

If you don't want said allegations don't talk like a conspiracy theorist. Provide evidence. Not non-sequiturs. I'm not here to entertain leading questions.

Skinny Puppy wrote:
That eejit, as you’ve so eloquently described him, was a programmer at Microsoft for 15 years and won awards for his work. He was laid off when MS downsized, but what bugs me is...

He looks like an eejit, his videos looks childish. You only said he worked for Micorsoft. He could've been working in the call centre for Xbox for all I know.

Again. Provide evidence, for grown-ups. I don't have an hour to watch shit YouTube videos by disgruntled employees.

He’s not a disgruntled employee, not in the least. His videos are to entertain as well as to educate.

You’ll (probably) just haul out ‘conspiracy theory’ regardless of what I post. He’s not, by any means, the only source that I’ve used. I am computer savvy and would never use just one reference. I have tons of them. I have 6 working computers, 2 of which I built myself. (Actually in total I have 8 computers, but one is lacking a monitor so it’s in the closet for now and the other one is listed last, below.) I’m running:

• Windows Vista (X1 on a tower)
• Windows XP (X2 on two towers)
• Windows 7 (X2) on a tower and a laptop
• Windows 8.1 (X1) on a tower
• Commodore 64 (Need parts to get it connected.)

I did install Win10 on one computer and when I rebooted; it turned off my anti-virus and firewall (plus other apps) despite telling me beforehand that my computer was 100% compatible and ready to go. I’m assuming it’s a generic message.

In addition, even were I to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is what he says he is, one person’s opinion and/or experiences is not 100% definitive and that’s why he isn’t my only source, albeit a good one.

Again. Provide evidence, for grown-ups. I don't have an hour to watch shit YouTube videos by disgruntled employees.

No thanks! The time I’d waste doing that only to have you repeat the time honoured ‘conspiracy theory’ isn’t on my bucket list. Your post # 136 wasn’t a rebuttal, your post # 140 is indicative that you’re not here for an exchange of viewpoints and your post # 141 repeats the conspiracy theory theme once again.

Oh, and I too don’t have an hour to hear ‘conspiracy theory’ ad nauseam rather than cold, hard facts.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#162  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 7:31 pm

Heh. Thought so.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#163  Postby Fallible » Jul 14, 2016 8:52 pm

Out of all the people one could accuse of not being here to exchange viewpoints, Ani wouldn't even make the top 50. This bugs me. Rather than the 'conspiracy theory' reply, what really fucks me off is when people make claims without proper evidence, then accuse the one who asks for evidence of not being here for an exchange of views, simply because they have standards about what they will accept as true. On a forum called Rational Skepticism.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#164  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 14, 2016 9:39 pm

Animavore wrote:Heh. Thought so.

Do you think (even in your wildest dreams) that after these initial gems of yours:

Animavore wrote:Lol. Gotta love the conspiracy theory nonsense.

:tinfoil:

Animavore wrote:Sure, bro. :tinfoil:

That I intend to waste my time providing you with data to backup my position when we both know what your reply will probably be? Right out of the starting gate you were into leveling conspiracy theory bullshit at me without even asking for a clarification of my POV.

Disagree with me... for sure. An exchange of viewpoints... for sure. But one-liners don’t cut it, not now, not ever.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#165  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Trying to play the moral high ground when others poo-poo their evidence-free assertions is another conspiracy theorist's trait.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#166  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 14, 2016 10:54 pm

Let me commend you… everything is tinfoil hat and conspiracy theory when you’re putting forth your (well-written, I might add) counterpoints? I have to humbly (I might add) admit defeat since how does one argue against a barrage of tinfoil hats with a side-dish of conspiracy? One day, ah one day… I too will learn the beloved ‘tinfoil hat’ mode of counterpoints, but for now, I’m left with only facts and data. Woe is I!

Animavore wrote:Lol. Gotta love the conspiracy theory nonsense.

:tinfoil: <<<

Animavore wrote:Sure, bro. :tinfoil: <<<

Animavore wrote:Here's an article for level-minded, non-conspiratorial individuals.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microso ... indows-10/

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:Ask yourself just one simple question.

If Win10 is the cat’s meow... why is it free?

Loooooooooooooooooooooool! That is, quite literally, the standard conspiracy theorist's gambit. Start by getting the listener to ask themselves a simple question, act as if there is something suspicious about the question, then fill in the blanks in the listener's knowledge with their own pet theory. I mean literally every conspiracy theory, from JFK to 9/11, starts the same.

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:You totally evaded and misrepresented the question as to why a money-making company gives its product away for free and instead you hauled out the ol’ conspiracy theory tactic as a (non-informative) retort. Anyway,

As I said, it's a common conspiracy theorist's gambit. Maybe you shouldn't of started with a blatant non-sequitur.

And no. I'm not watching some goofy, alarmist (look at the eejit waving his arms about) videos.

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
You needn’t watch the videos since leveling an alleged conspiracy theory easily (hands down) trumps any and all data and it’s an easy-as-pie response to any challenges one may face.

If you don't want said allegations don't talk like a conspiracy theorist. Provide evidence. Not non-sequiturs. I'm not here to entertain leading questions. <SNIP>

Animavore wrote:Trying to play the moral high ground when others poo-poo their evidence-free assertions is another conspiracy theorist's trait.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#167  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 11:01 pm

Ah yes, these "facts and data" only you're privy to. There was a global warming denialist using similar arguments just the other day here.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#168  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 14, 2016 11:13 pm

Animavore wrote:Ah yes, these "facts and data" only you're privy to. There was a global warming denialist using similar arguments just the other day here.

Actually all of the facts and data were here just for the asking, but rather than ask for them, you decided to use tinfoil hats and conspiracy instead. Pity that!

Oh, I just got meself edumahcated.

:tinfoil:

Did I do it right? (Oh, how I pray I did 'cause I'd hate to fail on mah 1st attempt.)
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#169  Postby Fallible » Jul 15, 2016 7:18 am

:roll:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#170  Postby aban57 » Jul 15, 2016 7:48 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Ah yes, these "facts and data" only you're privy to. There was a global warming denialist using similar arguments just the other day here.

Actually all of the facts and data were here just for the asking, but rather than ask for them, you decided to use tinfoil hats and conspiracy instead. Pity that!

Well, maybe because what you did here was merely stating something that is used everyday as a basic for all conspiracy theories in the world. Maybe, just maybe, if you had given proofs, right away, about your statements, instead of crying about treated as a conspiracy theorist, you would be taken seriously.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#171  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 8:00 am

Sometimes I wonder why everyone isn’t a member of Rational Skepticism... :scratch:

And other times I understand why... only too well, why!
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#172  Postby Fallible » Jul 15, 2016 8:18 am

Yes, why waste your time posting about the thread topic and providing evidence so others can asses it for themselves when you can just vaguely insult people.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#173  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 8:24 am

Are you even following this thread? Your responses would indicate otherwise!
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#174  Postby Fallible » Jul 15, 2016 8:29 am

And another response which lacks the evidence to support your claim.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#175  Postby Animavore » Jul 15, 2016 8:31 am

Skinny Puppy wrote:

See rather than just waiting for you, I actually looked for the facts and data to support much of your claims, and all I could find was wide speculation. I can find no evidence that Microsoft is selling data. None that Windows 10 was "spyware on steroids". Or that nothing that we do on our computers is hidden from them. And the claim Windows 10 is free, which was your opening gambit, is just flat out wrong. The closing date for the offer is on the 29th of this month.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#176  Postby aban57 » Jul 15, 2016 8:51 am

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

See rather than just waiting for you, I actually looked for the facts and data to support much of your claims, and all I could find was wide speculation. I can find no evidence that Microsoft is selling data. None that Windows 10 was "spyware on steroids". Or that nothing that we do on our computers is hidden from them. And the claim Windows 10 is free, which was your opening gambit, is just flat out wrong. The closing date for the offer is on the 29th of this month.

Well, that's what makes a good conspiracy, innit ?

(I was looking for an image that was perfect for this topic, but couldn't find it. It said that NASA's info was leaked by a single analyst, but somehow people think Microsoft can hide the fact that they can steal all our data)
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#177  Postby NineBerry » Jul 15, 2016 8:55 am

Bill Gates is watching you Masturbate
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#178  Postby Animavore » Jul 15, 2016 9:09 am

NineBerry wrote:Bill Gates is watching you Masturbate

I was joking with a friend once, when he was torrenting something, that it would be funny if the screen flickered and suddenly showed a webcam of an office desk, with a leather, Mastermind-type chair with its back towards it, and it suddenly swung 'round and their was Bill Gates, stroking a white cat, saying, "Stay right were you are." Before the windows shatter in and the room fills with tear gas.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#179  Postby Mike_L » Jul 15, 2016 9:44 am

So what does Small-and-flaccid itself admit to...?
(Emphasis added)

In its privacy guidelines, Microsoft has admitted it collects key information on Windows users, recording the searches they make with Bing, requests spoken to the voice assistant Cortana and even "your typed and handwritten words".

The tech giant also said it could rifle through a variety of private and personal places.

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to,” Microsoft wrote in its terms of service.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/windows-10-watching-you-fans-6187498

The default settings are "incredibly intrusive" and one has to "click through up to 13 screens" to limit the amount of data vacuumed by the company that has a cosy relationship with America's NSA.

The Russians know...

In August 2015, Russian politician Nikolai Levichev called for Windows 10 to be banned from use within the Russian government, as it sends user data to servers in the United States. The country had passed a federal law requiring all online services to store the data of Russian users on servers within the country by September 2016, or be blocked.
Wikipedia

:smoke:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#180  Postby Animavore » Jul 15, 2016 10:27 am

Already dealt with in the article I posted a couple of pages ago. Do try to keep up.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology