Microsoft announces Windows 10

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Microsoft announces Windows 10

#141  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Here's an article for level-minded, non-conspiratorial individuals.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microso ... indows-10/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#142  Postby DoctorE » Jul 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Windows 10, best OS ever.
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Apple and Amazon have far more control.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#144  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 2:21 pm

DoctorE wrote:Windows 10, best OS ever.

:this:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#145  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 14, 2016 2:24 pm

Animavore wrote:Here's an article for level-minded, non-conspiratorial individuals.

Ask yourself just one simple question.

If Win10 is the cat’s meow... why is it free? :scratch:

Can you name me just ‘one’ company that makes money giving their product away for free?

Regardless though, if anyone wants Win10, go for it, however, (just as one example) trace the update applet’s behaviour over the course of time and see how it morphed from being benign and friendly to, not just being aggressive, but to the point where the end user simply has no choice or say in the matter. It’s forced UPON YOU, like it or lump it.

No need for tinfoil hats... welcome to the age of information sharing... and enjoy!

Oh, and if you’re tech savvy, remove the applet and then watch it return (with a vengeance) hidden inside security updates. One would think that saying ‘no thanks’ would mean just that, but MS won’t accept a simple ‘no’. Odd that! :think:
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#146  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 2:35 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:Ask yourself just one simple question.

If Win10 is the cat’s meow... why is it free?

Loooooooooooooooooooooool! That is, quite literally, the standard conspiracy theorist's gambit. Start by getting the listener to ask themselves a simple question, act as if there is something suspicious about the question, then fill in the blanks in the listener's knowledge with their own pet theory. I mean literally every conspiracy theory, from JFK to 9/11, starts the same.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#147  Postby aban57 » Jul 14, 2016 2:47 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Here's an article for level-minded, non-conspiratorial individuals.

Can you name me just ‘one’ company that makes money giving their product away for free?

Regardless though, if anyone wants Win10, go for it, however, (just as one example) trace the update applet’s behaviour over the course of time and see how it morphed from being benign and friendly to, not just being aggressive, but to the point where the end user simply has no choice or say in the matter. It’s forced UPON YOU, like it or lump it.

No need for tinfoil hats... welcome to the age of information sharing... and enjoy!

Oh, and if you’re tech savvy, remove the applet and then watch it return (with a vengeance) hidden inside security updates. One would think that saying ‘no thanks’ would mean just that, but MS won’t accept a simple ‘no’. Odd that! :think:

W10 is not free. If you run W7 or previous, it's not free. If you buy a new computer, it's not free. It's free only for those who have W8, and it's some kind of compensation because how shit this one was. And I'm pretty sure this offer will be limited in time.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#148  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 2:49 pm

aban57 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

W10 is not free. If you run W7 or previous, it's not free. If you buy a new computer, it's not free. It's free only for those who have W8, and it's some kind of compensation because how shit this one was. And I'm pretty sure this offer will be limited in time.

It is limited. There's like 15 days left.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#149  Postby VazScep » Jul 14, 2016 2:54 pm

Windows isn't Microsoft's only product though. Neither is Apple's OS X (which is also free).

This year, Microsoft open-sourced their .NET framework and their development tools. Their business model is changing. A big competitive space right now is server hosting, where companies pay to have their servers reliably and scalably hosted: Amazon with EC2, Google with AppEngine, and Microsoft with Azure. Attracting tech companies to use these services might just mean attracting regular consumers to the OS that most happily talks to your servers by giving away that OS for free, and by attracting developers by open sourcing your tech-stack, development tools, and doing other unusual things such as building an entire Linux API so that Linux geeks can now use most of their OS tools natively on Windows.

That's one possibility. Tech companies this big have their fingers in many different pies, though.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#150  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 14, 2016 3:03 pm

Animavore wrote:

If Win10 is the cat’s meow... why is it free?

Loooooooooooooooooooooool! That is, quite literally, the standard conspiracy theorist's gambit. Start by getting the listener to ask themselves a simple question, act as if there is something suspicious about the question, then fill in the blanks in the listener's knowledge with their own pet theory. I mean literally every conspiracy theory, from JFK to 9/11, starts the same.

You totally evaded and misrepresented the question as to why a money-making company gives its product away for free and instead you hauled out the ol’ conspiracy theory tactic as a (non-informative) retort. Anyway,

Now before anyone puts a tinfoil hat on him, he worked for 15 years at Microsoft.

Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#151  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:You totally evaded and misrepresented the question as to why a money-making company gives its product away for free and instead you hauled out the ol’ conspiracy theory tactic as a (non-informative) retort. Anyway,

As I said, it's a common conspiracy theorist's gambit. Maybe you shouldn't of started with a blatant non-sequitur.

And no. I'm not watching some goofy, alarmist (look at the eejit waving his arms about) videos.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#152  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 14, 2016 3:09 pm

aban57 wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

You’re wrong. Win10 is free for owners of Windows 7. I have 2 computers (one desktop and one laptop with Win7) and both were scheduled for the free update. I also have Win8.1 which (naturally) qualifies for the free update.

I run Windows XP on two computers, they don’t qualify... and I’m running Windows Vista on anther computer which also doesn’t qualify.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#153  Postby Fallible » Jul 14, 2016 3:11 pm

What's a penultimate invasive OS?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#154  Postby VazScep » Jul 14, 2016 3:16 pm

Fallible wrote:What's a penultimate invasive OS?
The precursor to Skynet.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#155  Postby Fallible » Jul 14, 2016 3:17 pm

:rofl:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#156  Postby BlackBart » Jul 14, 2016 3:24 pm

A free upgrade for an existing version is not giving it away for free. Especially when that offer expires in two weeks time.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#157  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:You totally evaded and misrepresented the question as to why a money-making company gives its product away for free and instead you hauled out the ol’ conspiracy theory tactic as a (non-informative) retort. Anyway,

As I said, it's a common conspiracy theorist's gambit. Maybe you shouldn't of started with a blatant non-sequitur.

And no. I'm not watching some goofy, alarmist (look at the eejit waving his arms about) videos.

You needn’t watch the videos since leveling an alleged conspiracy theory easily (hands down) trumps any and all data and it’s an easy-as-pie response to any challenges one may face.

Trouble is... facts are pesky things and take time to research (lots of time), whereas the infamous ‘Oh look, a conspiracy folks’ takes just seconds to post as facts and data fall by the wayside.

(look at the eejit waving his arms about)

That eejit, as you’ve so eloquently described him, was a programmer at Microsoft for 15 years and won awards for his work. He was laid off when MS downsized, but what bugs me is...

Why did MS hire such an eejit, but probably more damning, why keep him there for 15 years and give him awards for his (so-called eejit) programming and input into his department?
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#158  Postby Animavore » Jul 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
You needn’t watch the videos since leveling an alleged conspiracy theory easily (hands down) trumps any and all data and it’s an easy-as-pie response to any challenges one may face.

If you don't want said allegations don't talk like a conspiracy theorist. Provide evidence. Not non-sequiturs. I'm not here to entertain leading questions.

Skinny Puppy wrote:
That eejit, as you’ve so eloquently described him, was a programmer at Microsoft for 15 years and won awards for his work. He was laid off when MS downsized, but what bugs me is...

He looks like an eejit, his videos looks childish. You only said he worked for Micorsoft. He could've been working in the call centre for Xbox for all I know.

Again. Provide evidence, for grown-ups. I don't have an hour to watch shit YouTube videos by disgruntled employees.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#159  Postby tuco » Jul 14, 2016 5:32 pm

Anyone has cool story how corporate IT giants damaged them by spying? Seriously, practical examples.

I could look up similar "theories" in XBOX ONE thread where "always on" together with Kinect stimulated fantasies to hilariously ridiculous levels. It could it could .. what it did, I ask?
tuco

Print view this post

#160  Postby LucidFlight » Jul 14, 2016 5:45 pm

If anything, corporate giants have helped me to find hot Eastern European women within 10 miles of me.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology