Microsoft announces Windows 10

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Microsoft announces Windows 10

#201  Postby Animavore » Jul 15, 2016 3:49 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Fallible wrote:Do you have anything or not? Only this is getting fucking boring. No one cares about what I think of your posts, it's irrelevant.

It is relevant because you have virtually no problems with the non-stop trolling of this thread by Ani, yet you have the audacity to expect me to engage you when your objectivity is gravely in question.

'Non-stop trolling'? No, no. You have it wrong. I made one joke post because it amused me and I grew tired of waiting for straight answers. I meant all my other posts. Your beating around the bush and claiming insider knowledge and access to documents and data while not imparting any of it is exactly reminiscent of this guy -

rjk wrote:
Now.. does this mean we shouldn't hypothesize and test? Nope. It just means we should temper our conclusions with a good dose of skepticism. It IS a fact that the earth has currently warmed. No doubt. The literature I've read indicates that computers models are things driving conclusions in the field about the anthropogenic claims. Given my experience in the past of this, and given the current state of the art in atmospheric sciences in general, I'm understandably skeptical about claims that we absolutely know 'X'. This has nothing to do with climate change.. I think this about other branches of science also where little is yet known (go read about proposed processes for how ocean current work.. its at about the same state as atmospheric science.. ).
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#202  Postby Mike_L » Jul 15, 2016 3:57 pm

BlackBart wrote:
Mike_L wrote:Still, as I said, the Russians know enough to steer clear of Windows 10! :grin:

Really? What is it exactly that they know?

That Washington and its NATO cronies are using Windows 10 as one of their spying devices... :shifty:

Mike_L wrote:The Russians know...

In August 2015, Russian politician Nikolai Levichev called for Windows 10 to be banned from use within the Russian government, as it sends user data to servers in the United States. The country had passed a federal law requiring all online services to store the data of Russian users on servers within the country by September 2016, or be blocked.
Wikipedia

P.S. While the Wikipedia quote is genuine, I'm not being altogether too serious here. Kidding actually. A little bit at least. Maybe. :grin:
Mike_L
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#203  Postby minininja » Jul 15, 2016 4:03 pm

I had to do a clean install of Windows 7 before the Windows 10 update to get it working. I've also installed Classic Start Menu which makes things a lot easier. No doubt they'll be many more bugs to iron out but I'm no longer swearing at my PC. :smoke:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#204  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:
Fallible wrote:Do you have anything or not? Only this is getting fucking boring. No one cares about what I think of your posts, it's irrelevant.

It is relevant because you have virtually no problems with the non-stop trolling of this thread by Ani, yet you have the audacity to expect me to engage you when your objectivity is gravely in question.

'Non-stop trolling'? No, no. You have it wrong. I made one joke post because it amused me and I grew tired of waiting for straight answers. I meant all my other posts. Your beating around the bush and claiming insider knowledge and access to documents and data while not imparting any of it is exactly reminiscent of this guy -

rjk wrote:
Now.. does this mean we shouldn't hypothesize and test? Nope. It just means we should temper our conclusions with a good dose of skepticism. It IS a fact that the earth has currently warmed. No doubt. The literature I've read indicates that computers models are things driving conclusions in the field about the anthropogenic claims. Given my experience in the past of this, and given the current state of the art in atmospheric sciences in general, I'm understandably skeptical about claims that we absolutely know 'X'. This has nothing to do with climate change.. I think this about other branches of science also where little is yet known (go read about proposed processes for how ocean current work.. its at about the same state as atmospheric science.. ).

Fucking horseshit and you well know it! You’ve barely made a reply to me without either a tinfoil hat being displayed or mentioning conspiracy theory.

Cut the shit, just cut the fucking shit! You didn’t grow tired of waiting for answers, right from square fucking one you started trolling.

Here’s your first reply to me:

Animavore wrote:Lol. Gotta love the conspiracy theory nonsense.

:tinfoil:

Here’s your 2nd reply:

Animavore wrote:Sure, bro. :tinfoil:

Here’s your 3rd reply to me:
Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:Ask yourself just one simple question.

If Win10 is the cat’s meow... why is it free?

Loooooooooooooooooooooool! That is, quite literally, the standard conspiracy theorist's gambit. Start by getting the listener to ask themselves a simple question, act as if there is something suspicious about the question, then fill in the blanks in the listener's knowledge with their own pet theory. I mean literally every conspiracy theory, from JFK to 9/11, starts the same.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#205  Postby Animavore » Jul 15, 2016 4:09 pm

Yes. I'm aware of my replies. I meant every word of them.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#206  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 4:15 pm

minininja wrote:I had to do a clean install of Windows 7 before the Windows 10 update to get it working. I've also installed Classic Start Menu which makes things a lot easier. No doubt they'll be many more bugs to iron out but I'm no longer swearing at my PC. :smoke:

If you’re interested (I don’t know if you are or not) check this out if you want to remove the spyware.

Be sure to watch the video, it’s only 6 minutes long.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/destroy_windows_10_spying.html

That site, by the way, it quite reputable and I’ve used it on many occasions.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#207  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Animavore wrote:Yes. I'm aware of my replies. I meant every word of them.

Oh nice, so you are now admitting that you’re trolling and adding fuck-all to this thread but tinfoil with the usual side-dish.
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#208  Postby Animavore » Jul 15, 2016 4:20 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:

Oh nice, so you are now admitting that you’re trolling and adding fuck-all to this thread but tinfoil with the usual side-dish.

No. Not admitting to trolling. Trolling suggests I wrote those posts deliberately to inflame. I didn't. I called it as I saw it. Standard, evasive, non-sequitur, CT tactics everywhere.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#209  Postby aban57 » Jul 15, 2016 5:45 pm

I have an up-to-date W7, and did request tue W10 update, but some of my harware were on the blacklist apparently, so I couldn't install it. Like I said,
Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified and genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#210  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 15, 2016 5:58 pm

Animavore wrote:
Skinny Puppy wrote:

No. Not admitting to trolling. Trolling suggests I wrote those posts deliberately to inflame. I didn't. I called it as I saw it. Standard, evasive, non-sequitur, CT tactics everywhere.

Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#211  Postby laklak » Jul 15, 2016 7:37 pm

If Bill Gates wants my banana muffin recipe he's welcome to it. Nothing incriminating on this machine. The Ubuntu box, though...well, lets just say nothing about that.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#212  Postby VazScep » Jul 21, 2016 10:20 am

laklak wrote:If Bill Gates wants my banana muffin recipe he's welcome to it. Nothing incriminating on this machine. The Ubuntu box, though...well, lets just say nothing about that.
Didn't "Canonical" get into some bother about Unity phoning home?

I'm a bit of an FSF fanatic and Emacs could be most of my operating system as far as I'm concerned. But its mode (plugin) for the programming language Haskell has caused some recent controversy, because they want to add in stuff so it can phone home. The developers argue that they want stats as to what features of the mode people use, so they can more efficiently direct improvements. A good mate of mine is pretty hostile to this idea, and plans to stop using the mode altogether if it goes through. I guess there's a conflict here between the mode developers and Emacs itself, one of the oldest pieces of GNU software. Its original creator, Richard Stallman, would probably not approve.

I suspect for most people, avoiding Windows 10 for privacy concerns would be pretty silly and unbalanced, given that most people use phones, email services and the web in a way that continuously undermines any privacy they think they have when online.
Last edited by VazScep on Jul 21, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#213  Postby Animavore » Jul 21, 2016 10:22 am

It's just Microsoft hate, which has become the new Apple hate. The abuse MS are getting over this is entirely disproportionate.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#214  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 21, 2016 10:25 am

Animavore wrote:It's just Microsoft hate, which has become the new Apple hate. The abuse MS are getting over this is entirely disproportionate.

It could be Apple behind it. All the years I programmed MS never presented any restrictions. Try programming for Apple.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#215  Postby VazScep » Jul 21, 2016 1:24 pm

Animavore wrote:It's just Microsoft hate, which has become the new Apple hate. The abuse MS are getting over this is entirely disproportionate.
Well, I hated Microsoft before it was cool but when it was cool! MS-DOG!
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#216  Postby Briton » Jul 21, 2016 1:46 pm

I love Windows 10 after deciding to upgrade from Windows 7, best ever MS operating system, but I'd be pissed off if they updated to W10 without my permission. If that has happened to people then it's a reasonable to complain.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#217  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jul 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Do you (impersonal you) do your banking, tax returns, buying, selling; send emails that you’d like to remain private etc. on your Win 10 machine?

Microsoft's service agreement is a monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.
(My red highlight)

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956574/microsoft-subnet/windows-10-privacy-spyware-settings-user-agreement.html

It’s rather odd that while you state that I’m just a conspiracy theorist, it looks like the country of France is also into conspiracy too.

France: Windows 10 collects 'excessive personal data', issues Microsoft with formal warning

http://betanews.com/2016/07/20/windows-10-excessive-data-collection-france/
Skinny Puppy

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#218  Postby Animavore » Jul 21, 2016 4:20 pm

This was already dealt with pages ago.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#219  Postby NineBerry » Jul 21, 2016 5:05 pm

These are all invalid clauses in the EU. Data of EU customers is kept on servers in the EU and subject to EU privacy laws. And Microsoft has just recently shown that it is ready to fight having to surrender such data to the US. http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news ... /87079016/
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#220  Postby BlackBart » Jul 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Microsoft's service agreement is a monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.
(My red highlight)

Interesting. Can you show us the actual Microsoft document this comes from? I can't seem to find it.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology