Tips and tricks for Mac users

all operating systems

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 10, 2017 9:54 pm

I upgraded the OS on my iPad pro monster to the newest iOS. Here's the old home screen:

IMG_0442.jpg
iOS 10.something or other
IMG_0442.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 4137 times

Here's the new iOS:

IMG_0453.jpg
iOS 11.something new
IMG_0453.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 4137 times

Upgrading was uneventful. Nothing broke. At first glance, I like the task bar that shows the last three used applications on the right of the break.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Make keyboard shortcut to reach the login window

#2  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 10, 2017 10:15 pm

I finally found someone who understood the problem and found the solution.

What I sought was a keyboard shortcut that would instantly take the computer to the login window (assuming fast user switching is enabled). A fellow with a username of Ant on macyourself.com wrote an article, How to lock your Mac screen with a keyboard shortcut.

Ant wrote:When you need to temporarily leave your Mac unattended, it’s a hassle to put it to sleep and wake it up again. What’s the quickest way? Set up a simple keyboard shortcut that shows your Mac’s login screen without logging you out.

It's instructions to use Automator to create a little shell script, then modify the keyboard shortcuts in system preferences to run that script.

Command-L, as I stand up from my desk. Sweet.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#3  Postby Agrippina » Oct 11, 2017 10:46 am

Mine's just set to lock and need a password after five minutes. Annoying for me, but great for when people are visiting and being curious. I haven't found anything special in High Sierra, except that Photos has been upgraded a little with new tools. Also I like that Notes is more useful than just a place to store things I want to remember.

I'd love to test the new iOS on an iPad, unfortunately both of ours are too old for the new one, and it isn't the same on the phones. So scheming how to get a new iPad next year.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Re: Make keyboard shortcut to reach the login window

#4  Postby Blackadder » Oct 11, 2017 11:42 am

The_Metatron wrote:I finally found someone who understood the problem and found the solution.

What I sought was a keyboard shortcut that would instantly take the computer to the login window (assuming fast user switching is enabled). A fellow with a username of Ant on macyourself.com wrote an article, How to lock your Mac screen with a keyboard shortcut.

Ant wrote:When you need to temporarily leave your Mac unattended, it’s a hassle to put it to sleep and wake it up again. What’s the quickest way? Set up a simple keyboard shortcut that shows your Mac’s login screen without logging you out.

It's instructions to use Automator to create a little shell script, then modify the keyboard shortcuts in system preferences to run that script.

I use a hot corner on my screen that immediately locks the screen when I move the cursor to it. Did you consider this option?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Macdoc » Oct 11, 2017 11:53 am

Just a word of warning ...High SIerra on a Mac should not be touched yet ....here be dragons.
IOS tho it has a lot of advanatages for iPad users.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Agrippina » Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm

Ooops. Too late. No dragons yet.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Macdoc » Oct 11, 2017 4:57 pm

High Sierra Aggie??? not just Sierra?
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Blackadder wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:I finally found someone who understood the problem and found the solution.

That’s close, but not quite the same. I had that active, but it doesn’t take you to the login screen, it only acts on my session.

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby felltoearth » Oct 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Blackadder wrote:

I use a hot corner on my screen that immediately locks the screen when I move the cursor to it. Did you consider this option?

Holy shit, how much do I hate hot corners.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Agrippina » Oct 12, 2017 6:34 am

Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Agrippina » Oct 12, 2017 6:50 am

There are various settings in System Preferences that you can set up to lock the computer among them: display, screen saver, and in security and privacy, general settings, you can set it up to lock and require a password at whatever time lapse you want. I have mine set to five minutes. I just close the screen, which then needs it to open the display when it's opened.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#12  Postby BlackBart » Oct 12, 2017 10:19 am

Macdoc wrote:Just a word of warning ...High SIerra on a Mac should not be touched yet ....here be dragons.

I though Macs were just supposed to...work. :eh:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Agrippina » Oct 12, 2017 10:22 am

They do, and it does. The only problem I've found is that my computer is a little slower. My son said that when he was here last month, he's going to up the RAM for me when he visits in December.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Macdoc » Oct 15, 2017 2:53 pm

I though Macs were just supposed to...work. :eh:

It's the shift away from HFS that will break older things. There will be benefits but headaches too in the implementation.

http://noodlemac.com/2016/06/goodbye-to ... le-system/

These guys update regularly

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/macos-1 ... o-fix-them

13 is unlucky don't ja know ;)
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 15, 2017 4:41 pm

In any event, if you leave your machine unattended for as little as five minutes, somebody with a bootable external drive who knows what she's doing can make your system FUBAR within that time frame.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#16  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:

In any event, if you leave your machine unattended for as little as five minutes, somebody with a bootable external drive who knows what she's doing can make your system FUBAR within that time frame.

Good luck getting to my firmware to try it. From the recovery (command-R while booting) screen, you can set a password for the firmware. Without that password, you can't get to the recovery screen, from where you would specify a boot from an external drive.

If you set it, you better not ever forget it. It is not recoverable.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... rnal-media

firmware.jpg
firmware.jpg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Agrippina » Oct 16, 2017 8:02 am

O/T LOL Scot loves trolling the things he hates. Enjoy Scot, we've grown to know and love you for your curmudgeonliness. :grin:

On the slowness of my Mac. The most obvious solution was to reboot it. I just leave it "on" by closing the lid when I'm not using it, so it never does any cleaning up of all the garbage in its short term memory, (hmmm maybe I shouldn't turn myself off at night then I won't forget so much). Anyway, I was talking to one of the kids on Friday, mentioned that High Sierra had made it feel like it was walking through mud. He asked if I'd restarted it after downloading the upgrade. Of course I hadn't. Did that, and now it's running smoothly again. He suggested doing that every few days, of course if I can remember. Still I would like more RAM.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 16, 2017 1:59 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Good luck getting to my firmware to try it.

Ah, right. I know about that. I just don't have any top double secret probation shit on my machine that would justify it. I do keep six or eight backups of my data in various undisclosed locations in case of fire or theft. Data I want to privacy-protect goes on an encrypted disk image. Sure, somebody with enough time and interest could probably get it sorted. In the long run, we're all dead, so I'm tending toward the egoless. Just not very enthusiastically.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 16, 2017 3:48 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:
Good luck getting to my firmware to try it.

Ah, right. I know about that. I just don't have any top double secret probation shit on my machine that would justify it. I do keep six or eight backups of my data in various undisclosed locations in case of fire or theft. Data I want to privacy-protect goes on an encrypted disk image. Sure, somebody with enough time and interest could probably get it sorted. In the long run, we're all dead, so I'm tending toward the egoless. Just not very enthusiastically.

When I move house, which is more frequent than I’d prefer, I hand carry my time capsule to the new location. I figure it doesn’t do a lot of good to have a backup of my systems if I ship the backup in the same box as the computers.

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby felltoearth » Oct 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Root level shit on a Mac REQUIRES a password, even when logged in. You need to be an admin to install anything, and all admins are password protected. There's no fucking around.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Science & Technology