Tips and tricks for Mac users

all operating systems

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Tips and tricks for Mac users

#21  Postby Macdoc » Oct 16, 2017 7:45 pm

As usual Scot you have no idea what you are talking about ... :nono:
Just shit disturbing per usual

••••

Apple removed Disk permission repair from Disc Util :yuk: ....this works the charm tho.

Open Terminal
paste in diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u`
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#22  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 16, 2017 11:10 pm

felltoearth wrote:Root level shit on a Mac REQUIRES a password, even when logged in. You need to be an admin to install anything, and all admins are password protected. There's no fucking around.

They’re pretty tight. The biggest problem I see is people creating user accounts with admin permissions without reason.

My user accounts are all basic. I create an admin user solely for the purpose.

This practice translates to PCs, too.

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Agrippina » Oct 17, 2017 8:49 am

I don't understand what the motivation is to walk into a discussion only to make disparaging remarks about the subject of the discussion. For instance, I've never been to the Netherlands. My only experience of people from that country has been having read the letters my grandmother wrote to my mother in Dutch, and finding the language understandable because of learning Afrikaans at school. The other experience I've had was my nephew and his family living there for a few months, and their reporting of how much they enjoyed actually living there after having visited a few times. Other than that, my kids have visited and reported that they didn't think it was the most beautiful place on earth, or that they were inclined to go there to settle, in other words: meh! So if I said I think the Netherlands is a crappy country, and I wouldn't even contemplate going to live there, on a website devoted to all things Dutch, and while members were having fun discussing their lives and experiences in the country, I'd be doing what some people do when we talk about our Macs. I don't do that because I've never been there, so I don't have enough experience of the place to make judgments.

Returning to Macs. I've been using them for 32 years now. The machine I used in 1985 is now held in a museum at the university in Jo'burg, and it still works, perfectly. It's a pain in the arse with the disk swapping, but it does still work. Personally the only machine that ever failed me, was my last one, the one I bought in Scotland in 2009, and it only stopped working because my granddaughter was playing around it, and dropped it on the floor. I suppose if I'd been able to get it to my kids, they'd have been able to revive at least the hard drive, but the insurance company insisted they had to take it if they were to replace it, which they did, with the one I'm using now. Luckily I've been meticulous with backing up on a regular basis, so my entire hard drive was saved in a backup, and all I had to do was to connect that and tell this one to restore the back up to this machine, and within a couple of hours I was up and running.

I keep the hard drives with the backups in another room, in another cupboard in case this machine is stolen, but I also apply as much password protection as it allows for it not to be accessible. So much so that none of the technicians the insurance company employed to access the machine when I sent it for assessment were able to get into my data. I had it on my "find my Mac" list for a while, but then I told Apple to disable it if ever it was accessed. Two years now and all the data protection has been changed, so even if someone ever is able to get it to work, it would be useless.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#24  Postby BlackBart » Oct 17, 2017 9:02 am

They're computers - they work. They do the job they're supposed to. I used to use iMacs to build hybrid Mac/PC installer CDs - they had a few foibles and idiosyncrasies just like PCs. Steve Jobs could be a bumptious git just like Bill Gates could be. :dunno:

You pays your money and you takes your choice. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 6:27 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
The topic to discuss hatred of Apple products is here: Apple products suck, which is to where I moved our related posts from this topic.

The_Metatron
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Agrippina wrote:There are various settings in System Preferences that you can set up to lock the computer among them: display, screen saver, and in security and privacy, general settings, you can set it up to lock and require a password at whatever time lapse you want. I have mine set to five minutes. I just close the screen, which then needs it to open the display when it's opened.

You’re right. But, I do like some keyboard shortcuts.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 8:31 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Yes, sorry about that extended lock. Unlocking the topic is the last step when moving posts. Guess which step I missed?

The_Metatron
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 17, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm trying to understand what your 'single keystroke' approach seeks to accomplish, but it sounds like you don't just want to suspend your current session, and you don't want to log all the way out. The mac-related threads at "ask different" (SA) have a number of recommendations, mainly involving getting hold of an app that puts a menu in your menu bar that allows you to activate a script with a key combo, for fast user switching or something like that.

For anyone else with less complicated ambitions, the CTRL-SHIFT-EJECT combination immediately sleeps your display. If you've set your user security to do so, it will request your user password when you wake the display. But then, so does mousing (swiping or whatever you do on the trackpad) to the proper hot corner to activate your screen-saver.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#29  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Yep, the script I used sure did add a menu item: <application name> - Services - Login Screen. Which is redundant, since you can get to the same place with a mouse by clicking on your name on the menu bar, then select Login Window.

I don't like using a mouse to select menu items if I can get away with it, though. Also, using the CTRL - SHIFT - EJECT shortcut only sleeps the display. If you have your System Preferences - Security & Private settings set to require a password and lock your screen, it's the same effect.

The script I made with those instructions brings the computer to the login window regardless of screensaver password settings.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 17, 2017 9:43 pm

However, I did just make a discovery while testing your suggestion.

CTRL - CMD - EJECT is the equivalent of CTRL - ALT - DEL.

I hit that key combination instead of CTRL - SHIFT - EJECT, and the effect was immediate. No asking to save files, nothing. Just restart now.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby VazScep » Oct 18, 2017 7:31 am

I'm not sure my post deserved to get chucked in the Scot Dutchy thread of bitterness. It included a recommendation for Mac users who want a decent package manager that doesn't require root for installations. On my last team, I had the Mac users install it so we were all able to develop in the same environment with a single command.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Agrippina » Oct 18, 2017 1:05 pm

"thread of bitterness" :rofl:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#33  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 18, 2017 6:25 pm

VazScep wrote:I'm not sure my post deserved to get chucked in the Scot Dutchy thread of bitterness. It included a recommendation for Mac users who want a decent package manager that doesn't require root for installations. On my last team, I had the Mac users install it so we were all able to develop in the same environment with a single command.

Which post? Easy to remedy.

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby theropod » Oct 18, 2017 7:57 pm

I too have been a Mac user for many many years, and as of today I am done. I just upgraded/updated my iPhone 6 plus to iOS 11. The big reason I bought a plus phone was to use the landscape keyboard, and after this "update" that feature is dead. The current keyboard is exactly the same in portrait or landscape. This is a major screwup and in the infinite wisdom of the IDIOTS at Apple took away all the extra buttons to the sides of the keyboard. There is no defense for this absolutely stupid move. When this phone dies I will replace it with a Samsung. As a workaround I am using Google's Gboard app. The buttons are all different and then space bar is tiny. Apple can suck my dick! Not one more Penny will come from me.

I imagine this is a business decision and has nothing to do with user experience. Had I known this would effectively kill the awesome keyboard my previous iOS I would have never agreed. So pissed!

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 18, 2017 8:10 pm

Is this of any use to you? https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick- ... -keyboard/

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby theropod » Oct 18, 2017 8:29 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Is this of any use to you? https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick- ... -keyboard/

That article starts off with a lie. This layout isn't an "option" as claimed, and if I wanted one hand typing In would use portrait mode. Sorry, but this is the straw. Fuck Apple. I have used the landscape typing on this phone for years, and how anyone can see this as anything but an intentional feature removal is beyond me. Yes, I am livid. Since I have insurance on this piece of shit I may just sail it off in the hallow and be done with Apple once and for all.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Macdoc » Oct 18, 2017 8:34 pm

So go back to your backup.
iOS 11 is very early in the game and too much new.
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#38  Postby felltoearth » Oct 18, 2017 10:43 pm

I haven't upgraded either. I wait until the bugs are worked out. Check the blogs, see what others are saying then upgrade if it seems fine.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Macdoc » Oct 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Yup and ALWAYS backup before an upgrade
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#40  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 18, 2017 11:15 pm

I usually wait a half year if not more. Many companies that produce audio plugins take awhile to get caught up.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology