Are You Muslim? Take the test to find out.

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Are You Muslim? Take the test to find out.

#41  Postby Nicko » Jul 03, 2012 2:04 am

Beatsong wrote:"If God exists, do you believe there can be only one God?"

Er... but he doesn't exist. Are you asking me what I would believe if I lived in some whacko parallel universe with no connection to the real one?

Well, it's a hypothetical, so one can answer it without believing there is a God.

As I said, however, one cannot be a Muslim without believing in God. It doesn't matter how "compatible" the rest of your opinions are: if you do not have this belief, you can't be a Muslim.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Matt_B » Jul 03, 2012 7:15 am

Nicko wrote:
Beatsong wrote:"If God exists, do you believe there can be only one God?"

Er... but he doesn't exist. Are you asking me what I would believe if I lived in some whacko parallel universe with no connection to the real one?

Well, it's a hypothetical, so one can answer it without believing there is a God.

As I said, however, one cannot be a Muslim without believing in God. It doesn't matter how "compatible" the rest of your opinions are: if you do not have this belief, you can't be a Muslim.

Isn't the question tautologous as written anyway? Assume that God (by definition singular) exists, and there can only be one God.

I assume what was really meant was whether polytheism is any less plausible than monotheism, so I answered no.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Oeditor » Jul 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:
Pulsar wrote:3. Do you believe there is only one true religion rather than elements of truth in many religions?

Apparently the "correct" answer for a muslim is no...

As I already said, Islam has historically been rather tolerant of the idea that most religions have a large number of elements of truth to them.
Naturally - much of Islam was plagiarised from earlier religions. What the question is saying is that there are elements of Islam in other religions and those bits are true. Note that it does not say that other religions are wholly true. Note also that those deficiencies mean that adherents of said religions have to admit their inferiority and pay taxes to Muslims to make up for it. Not quite the original sin that another question rejects, but pretty damn near the same for all but Muslims.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby areyoumuslim » Jul 10, 2012 9:32 pm

hi all,

You can actually read what the Quran says for each question after you take the test by clicking on the tick/cross/orange icons on the results page, below the % result

This should help address some of the queries mentioned here.
areyoumuslim

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Weaver » Jul 10, 2012 9:42 pm

When the questions are so poorly worded as to be meaningless ("Do you believe there is only one true religion rather than elements of truth in many religions?" - How about there are NO TRUE RELIGIONS, just made-up stories by people who either didn't have enough information to explain the world, or who were con-men trying to make a buck with the least possible work for themselves?), ("Do you believe if God exists, only God can forgive sins? For example, no intermediaries can forgive sins, unlike confession in Catholicism". - And if no gods exist, and there is no such thing as "sins" to be forgiven?), it really doesn't matter whether you can hunt up justifications in a 1,500 y/o book of myths or not.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Matt_B » Jul 11, 2012 9:44 am

areyoumuslim wrote:hi all,

You can actually read what the Quran says for each question after you take the test by clicking on the tick/cross/orange icons on the results page, below the % result

Don't tell us. Tell the supposed Muslims who pollute their environment, treat their women unfairly, are intolerant of other religions, stifle freedom of speech, govern undemocratically, etc.

I'd think it far more likely that you'd convince them to properly follow your religion than us, although I still don't fancy your chances much.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Nicko » Jul 11, 2012 11:16 am

areyoumuslim wrote:hi all,

How so?

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#48  Postby areyoumuslim » Aug 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Nicko,

You ask: "how so?"

By answering some of the issues raised in this thread, e.g.

HomerJay said:
I like the way that environmentalism is now consider something to do with religion, muslims trying snatch it just klike the Christian church as been doing.

The verses cited at the end of the quiz for this question have been in the Arabic Quran for over a thousand years. The question simply helps bring them to the attention of the reader.

Ironclad said:
The answers are lying surely. Should women cover up - no; one true faith - no; one god - undec

Again, the verses listed explain the answers to the questions, if one wishes to read them. If they disagree, that is their choice.

I hope that helps.
areyoumuslim

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#49  Postby NineBerry » Aug 11, 2012 7:17 pm

I got 32%
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#50  Postby HomerJay » Aug 11, 2012 9:54 pm

areyoumuslim wrote:Nicko,

You ask: "how so?"

By answering some of the issues raised in this thread, e.g.

HomerJay said:
I like the way that environmentalism is now consider something to do with religion, muslims trying snatch it just klike the Christian church as been doing.

The verses cited at the end of the quiz for this question have been in the Arabic Quran for over a thousand years. The question simply helps bring them to the attention of the reader.

But the verses don't relate to environmentalism, it's intellectually dishonest to claim that they do and then even more dishonest to claim that this demonstrates some 'compatibility' with Islam.

Better still the Surat Al-Baqarah you quote is a racist diatribe against non-believers, nothing to do with environmentalism and you claim your racist verses demonstrate some compatibility with non-believers!

you say this demonstrates some commitment to environmentalism:
2:205
And when he goes away, he strives throughout the land to cause corruption therein and destroy crops and animals. And Allah does not like corruption.

But the next verse:
2:206
And when it is said to him, "Fear Allah ," pride in the sin takes hold of him. Sufficient for him is Hellfire, and how wretched is the resting place.

It's clear it's about non-believers, not green issues and you're just pedalling porky pies.

2:211
Ask the Children of Israel how many a sign of evidence We have given them. And whoever exchanges the favor of Allah [for disbelief] after it has come to him - then indeed, Allah is severe in penalty.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Nicko » Aug 12, 2012 8:44 am

areyoumuslim wrote:I hope that helps.

It does nothing to address my problems with this survey. This survey describes me a "highly compatible" with Islam. I am not.

I am a positive atheist - I don't just lack belief, I assert that there is no God - who is of the opinion that prophets are a stupid and immoral concept. This means that I am about as far from compatible with Islam as it is possible to get.

The survey is bullshit.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#52  Postby NineBerry » Aug 12, 2012 10:46 am

Are you a Pirate? Test your compatibility with Pastafarianism!

1. Do you believe in environmental conservation?
Yes
No
Undecided

2. If the Universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster, do you believe there can only be one Flying Spaghetti Monster?
Yes
No
Undecided

3. Do you believe there is only one true religion rather than elements of truth in many religions?
Yes
No
Undecided

4. Do you believe in "Original Sin", i.e. a child carries the sins of another into this world?
Yes
No
Undecided

5. Do you think the law of requital is fair, i.e. equivalence: what good you do will be given back to you (in the next life if there is one), what bad you do will be given back to you (in the next life if there is one)?
Yes
No
Undecided

6. Do you think people should wear Pirate regalia all the time?
Yes
No
Undecided

7. Do you believe if the Flying Spaghetti Monster exists, only Flying Spaghetti Monster can touch you with his noodly appendages? For example, no intermediaries can touch you with their noodly appendages, unlike priests in Catholicism.
Yes
No
Undecided

8. Do you believe victims of crimes and/or their families should have a say in the penalty for such crimes?
Yes
No
Undecided

9. Do you believe in certain circumstances the death penalty could be warranted?
Yes
No
Undecided

10. "Be the change you want to see in the world."
Strongly Agree
Fairly Agree
Undecided
Disagree
Strongly Disagree

11. Do you believe humans collectively have a natural instinct towards what is right and what is wrong?
Yes
No
Undecided

12. Do you feel that many of those considered divine prophets/messengers (if they existed), e.g. Bobby Henderson delivered the same basic message of oneness of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, oneness of mankind and doing good deeds?
Yes
No
Undecided

13. Do you believe that there is a purpose for our existence?
Yes
No
Undecided

14. Do you believe that mutual consultation should play a part in resolving the issues of the people?
Yes
No
Undecided

15. Would you like a belief system which clearly states how it proves itself?
Yes
No
Undecided

16. Do you agree with the following: Actions speak louder than Words?
Yes
No
Undecided

17. "Faith not supported by reason and empirical evidence is wishful thinking."
Strongly Agree
Fairly Agree
Undecided
Disagree
Strongly Disagree

18. Do you think the harm caused by not eating Pasta is greater than the benefit?
Yes
No
Undecided

19. Do you think freedom of speech and freedom of belief/religion is a fundamental right?
Yes
No
Undecided

20. Do you believe it is an individual's duty to distribute some of their wealth to the needy and promote social welfare?
Yes
No
Undecided
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby areyoumuslim » Aug 24, 2012 5:06 pm

HomerJay,
You make accusation of "intellectual dishonesty" then go onto comment only on one verse cited, neglecting the rest. Who is "intellectually dishonest?"
You then make the illogical claim that if a chapter is allegedly about subject X, one cannot mention anything else it discusses if it is not subject X.
You then go onto misunderstand 2:205, by not realising the reason for its inclusion in the list of verses, and that is it is giving us an example of corrupting the land, which is destroying crops/posterity. This is clearly a negative thing to do. In 2:206 it tells us of the possible destiny of a person acting in such a way.

Nicko,
You claim that you are not compatible with "islam" and give the reason "I assert that there is no God - who is of the opinion that prophets are a stupid and immoral concept." - but you seem to be confusing the concepts of islam and iman. The former does not require belief in God nor regarding prophets as an intelligent and moral concept.

e.g.
The Arabs said: "We believe." (i.e. have iman) Say: "You have not believed; but you should say: 'We have submitted', (i.e. have islam) for belief has not yet entered into your hearts." If you obey God and His messenger, He will not put any of your works to waste. God is Forgiver, Merciful. [Quran, 49:14]

Although I am interested in your claim of prophets being a "stupid and immoral" concept. Please elaborate with reason and evidence.

Please note, that the quiz is strictly based upon the Quran, not Traditional Islamic sources, which you/others may be more familiar with.
areyoumuslim

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 24, 2012 5:25 pm

Ironclad wrote:Great, Ironclad, ardent atheist is the most Islamic fucker on Ratzskep. :picard:

Nope. I got 70%. Really surprising since I answered "undecided" many times.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 24, 2012 5:59 pm

67% - fairly compatible.

What are the yellow dots supposed to indicate?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Oeditor » Aug 24, 2012 6:10 pm

areyoumuslim wrote:You claim that you are not compatible with "islam" and give the reason "I assert that there is no God - who is of the opinion that prophets are a stupid and immoral concept." - but you seem to be confusing the concepts of islam and iman. The former does not require belief in God nor regarding prophets as an intelligent and moral concept.
No wonder you've gone to live in Antarctica! Try going to downtown Karachi or to Mecca and saying "There is no god and belief in prophets is neither intelligent nor moral! :mob:
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Astreja » Aug 25, 2012 4:53 am

I definitely can't be Muslim, and decline to become one. I think the Shahada is mythological silliness, and I see no reason that anyone should "submit" to a fictional being.

I also think it's rather shameful of the test to attempt to co-opt values that can easily be practised without any religious affiliation.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles
Astreja

Name: Astreja Odinsdóttir
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Nicko » Aug 25, 2012 2:30 pm

areyoumuslim wrote:Nicko,
You claim that you are not compatible with "islam" and give the reason "I assert that there is no God - who is of the opinion that prophets are a stupid and immoral concept." - but you seem to be confusing the concepts of islam and iman. The former does not require belief in God nor regarding prophets as an intelligent and moral concept.

e.g.
The Arabs said: "We believe." (i.e. have iman) Say: "You have not believed; but you should say: 'We have submitted', (i.e. have islam) for belief has not yet entered into your hearts." If you obey God and His messenger, He will not put any of your works to waste. God is Forgiver, Merciful. [Quran, 49:14]

Although I am interested in your claim of prophets being a "stupid and immoral" concept. Please elaborate with reason and evidence.

I cannot "submit" myself to a being whose existence I find to be incoherent and preposterous.

As far as the idea of prophets being stupid, consider how inefficient the idea is. Give divine revelation to one fallible man who must then propound the message of God without evidence. The people who believe him must therefore be the kind of people who accept claims without evidence. This is stupid. In every other field of endeavour, human beings make correct choices by recourse to evidence.

As far as the idea of prophets being immoral, consider the ridiculousness of the situation in the previous paragraph. Consider too that God has a simple way to remedy this: give revelation to everyone. Instead, he gives revelation to a few who are rewarded for their "faith" in heaven, those who decide to follow on the basis of no evidence can follow, whilst those who doubt are cast into Hell. But the prophets have no faith; they know. They are thus being rewarded for an attribute they do not possess. Those who follow are being rewarded for believing a claim on the basis of no - or very bad - evidence; regarded as stupid in any other area of life.

Moreover, consider the immense amount of suffering that could have been averted through universal revelation. No holy wars, no heretics, no blasphemy. There still might be those who rejected God's message, but there could be no doubt as to whether or not he existed and no argument as to what he wished us to do.

Instead, God is alleged to give certain knowledge of his existence to a select few. The rest of us just have to guess or be lucky enough to be born into the "right" religion. There seems to be no justice in this revelation stuff.

Good article related to this here.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 25, 2012 2:54 pm

Nailed it, Nicko.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Shrunk » Aug 25, 2012 3:04 pm

I scored 50%. Stupid ", test. If they had a test with a million such questions, and one of them was "Do you believe a god exists?" and you answered "No", then you can't be a Muslim even if your other 999,999 answers were "compatible." Also, many of the questions are deceptive:

3. Do you believe there is only one true religion rather than elements of truth in many religions?

But that doesn't mean you agree that there is one religion that contains all the truth, and nothing but.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Islam