Are You Muslim? Take the test to find out.

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Are You Muslim? Take the test to find out.

#81  Postby Oeditor » Sep 01, 2012 11:58 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:That seems likely, as the declaration of faith, i.e. the shahadah (in English: There is no god but God (i.e. Allah), Muhammad is the messenger of God)is really the only thing you need to say to become a Muslim.

wikipedia wrote:A single honest recitation of the shahadah in Arabic is all that is required for a person to become a Muslim.
Honest? What about forced conversion of kidnapped woman and girls? Or do they say it "honestly" because they fear the consequences if they don't?
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Aern Rakesh » Sep 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Oeditor wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:That seems likely, as the declaration of faith, i.e. the shahadah (in English: There is no god but God (i.e. Allah), Muhammad is the messenger of God)is really the only thing you need to say to become a Muslim.

wikipedia wrote:A single honest recitation of the shahadah in Arabic is all that is required for a person to become a Muslim.
Honest? What about forced conversion of kidnapped woman and girls? Or do they say it "honestly" because they fear the consequences if they don't?

Presumably a genuine Muslim would not consider those people forced to say the Shahadah to be Muslims.

ETA: And by 'genuine' I mean someone who is sincerely religious, not a tyrant masquerading as such.
Last edited by Aern Rakesh on Sep 01, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Animavore » Sep 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:
Oeditor wrote:

Presumably a genuine Muslim would not consider those people forced to say the Shahadah to be Muslims.

Genuine Muslim? :)
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Aern Rakesh » Sep 01, 2012 12:17 pm

Animavore wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
Oeditor wrote:

Genuine Muslim? :)

See above. You got in before I could add my 'edit'.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Animavore » Sep 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Is there such a thing as someone who is sincerely religious? I've met people who act like they are but I never honestly believe them.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#86  Postby areyoumuslim » Sep 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Dear all,

To clarify, I was using the terms "islam" and "iman" as per Quran's usage. Not the socio-cultural mainstream usage, in which they are commonly used.

And according to Quran declaring "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammed is his servant and messenger" is not a requirement for being "muslim". Please check Quran for yourself.

As stated previously, the quiz is based on Quran and the heading clearly states at the top "20 questions to test your compatibility with the Quran", not Islam (as in 'religion known of as "Islam"). They are different things, and some authors have written books about it, e.g. http://www.tolueislam.org/Parwez/ICR/ICR.htm for those interested.

To verify heading please see http://www.AreYouMuslim.com

Thanks.
areyoumuslim

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Shrunk » Sep 06, 2012 8:39 pm

areyoumuslim wrote:Dear all,

To clarify, I was using the terms "islam" and "iman" as per Quran's usage. Not the socio-cultural mainstream usage, in which they are commonly used.

So could you please clarify how you are defining those terms, so we can know what you are talking about?

And according to Quran declaring "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammed is his servant and messenger" is not a requirement for being "muslim". Please check Quran for yourself.

As stated previously, the quiz is based on Quran and the heading clearly states at the top "20 questions to test your compatibility with the Quran", not Islam (as in 'religion known of as "Islam"). They are different things, and some authors have written books about it, e.g. http://www.tolueislam.org/Parwez/ICR/ICR.htm for those interested.

To verify heading please see http://www.AreYouMuslim.com

So, again, you are using your own personal preference as to how you define a "muslim". Others will say a muslim is someone who believes that women must wear a burqa. On what basis do you say your definiton of a muslim is the only correct one?

Do you pray, by the way?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Shrunk » Sep 06, 2012 11:02 pm

areyoumuslim wrote:And according to Quran declaring "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammed is his servant and messenger" is not a requirement for being "muslim". Please check Quran for yourself.

Further, I not only checked the Quran, but your own website. And both contradict what you have written here:

http://learn-about-islam.com/2011/10/31 ... -of-islam/

How can you accept the verses quoted on that page without accepting that there is only one god, and Muhammed was his servant and messenger?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Oeditor » Sep 06, 2012 11:06 pm

Another Koran-only type it seems. AKA "apologist" for Mohammed.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#90  Postby patient zero » Sep 09, 2012 4:16 pm

15. Would you like a belief system which clearly states how it proves itself?

That would be nice, but like its fellow religions, islam spectacularly fails to prove itself true.

17. "Faith not supported by reason and empirical evidence is wishful thinking."

Wishful thinking is pretty much all that islam is.
Calilasseia wrote:...WHY DO PROFESSIONAL PROPAGANDISTS FOR CREATIONISM HAVE TO LIE FOR THEIR DOCTRINE?
patient zero

Male

Print view this post

#91  Postby Nicko » Sep 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Shrunk wrote:
areyoumuslim wrote:And according to Quran declaring "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammed is his servant and messenger" is not a requirement for being "muslim". Please check Quran for yourself.

Further, I not only checked the Quran, but your own website. And both contradict what you have written here:

http://learn-about-islam.com/2011/10/31 ... -of-islam/

How can you accept the verses quoted on that page without accepting that there is only one god, and Muhammed was his servant and messenger?

He can't.

If you do not believe that there is one - and only one - god, you cannot honestly say that you are a Muslim.

If you do not believe that Muhammad was the messenger of God, you cannot honestly say that you are a Muslim.

All one has to do to honestly say that one is a Muslim is to believe that there is one - and only one - god and that Muhammad was his messenger. Beyond that, Islam's a pretty broad tent.

This is actually one of Islam's best points: that you only have to take two things on faith; everything else flows from those two articles of faith.

Contrast this with Christianity, where one has to believe that an omnipotent god who could only forgive a "sin" committed before humanity possessed the ability to determine whether or not an action was "sinful" - and through some incomprehensible process passed on to people who had no ability to prevent said "sin" - by incarnating in human form in order to give himself up as a sacrifice to himself is at the very least an inspiring idea. As opposed to it being ridiculous nonsense.

I really don't understand why "areyoumuslim' is being so coy about this.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Shrunk » Sep 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Nicko wrote:If you do not believe that there is one - and only one - god, you cannot honestly say that you are a Muslim.

If you do not believe that Muhammad was the messenger of God, you cannot honestly say that you are a Muslim.

I suppose areyoumuslim would correct you and say he believes Muhammed was a messenger of God, but not the only one. If areyoumuslim is as nitpicky as I am, that is. :)

All one has to do to honestly say that one is a Muslim is to believe that there is one - and only one - god and that Muhammad was his messenger. Beyond that, Islam's a pretty broad tent.

This is actually one of Islam's best points: that you only have to take two things on faith; everything else flows from those two articles of faith.

Of course, the "everything else that flows" is where the problems start. areyoumuslim seems to want to divorce Islam from that. But if one just stops at the Quran, it's hard to see what distinctive ideas Islam has to offer.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Oeditor » Sep 09, 2012 9:32 pm

Nicko wrote:If you do not believe that Muhammad was the messenger of God, you cannot honestly say that you are a Muslim.

Oh, that's advanced - you only have to believe two impossible things before breakfast. You only have to do it once, too - change your mind and you're dead.
Oeditor

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Stein » Oct 12, 2012 7:45 pm

HomerJay wrote:
1. Do you believe in environmental conservation?
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

2. If God exists, do you believe there can only be one God?
Yes
No
Undecided {XXX -- Stein}

3. Do you believe there is only one true religion rather than elements of truth in many religions?
Yes
No {XXX -- Stein}
Undecided

4. Do you believe in "Original Sin", i.e. a child carries the sins of another into this world?
Yes
No {XXX -- Stein}
Undecided

5. Do you think the law of requital is fair, i.e. equivalence: what good you do will be given back to you (in the next life if there is one), what bad you do will be given back to you (in the next life if there is one)?
Yes
No
Undecided {XXX -- Stein}

6. Do you think women should fully cover their body in terms of their dress?
Yes
No {XXX -- Stein}
Undecided

7. Do you believe if God exists, only God can forgive sins? For example, no intermediaries can forgive sins, unlike confession in Catholicism.
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

8. Do you believe victims of crimes and/or their families should have a say in the penalty for such crimes?
Yes
No
Undecided {XXX -- Stein}

9. Do you believe in certain circumstances the death penalty could be warranted?
Yes
No {XXX -- Stein}
Undecided

10. "Be the change you want to see in the world."
Strongly Agree {XXX -- Stein}
Fairly Agree
Undecided
Disagree
Strongly Disagree

11. Do you believe humans collectively have a natural instinct towards what is right and what is wrong?
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

12. Do you feel that many of those considered divine prophets/messengers (if they existed), e.g. Abraham, Moses, Jesus, Muhammad delivered the same basic message of oneness of God, oneness of mankind and doing good deeds?
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

13. Do you believe that there is a purpose for our existence?
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

14. Do you believe that mutual consultation should play a part in resolving the issues of the people?
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

15. Would you like a belief system which clearly states how it proves itself?
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

16. Do you agree with the following: Actions speak louder than Words?
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

17. "Faith not supported by reason and empirical evidence is wishful thinking."
Strongly Agree {XXX -- Stein}
Fairly Agree
Undecided
Disagree
Strongly Disagree

18. Do you think the harm caused by alcohol/intoxicants is greater than their benefits?
Yes
No
Undecided {XXX -- Stein}

19. Do you think freedom of speech and freedom of belief/religion is a fundamental right?
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

20. Do you believe it is an individual's duty to distribute some of their wealth to the needy and promote social welfare?
Yes {XXX -- Stein}
No
Undecided

http://www.areyoumuslim.com/

Cheers,

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#95  Postby cherries » Oct 19, 2013 10:49 pm

65% because

Do you believe in environmental conservation?
Yes
Do you believe in "Original Sin", i.e. a child carries the sins of another into this world?

No
Do you think the law of requital is fair, i.e. equivalence: what good you do will be given back to you (in the next life if there is one), what bad you do will be given back to you (in the next life if there is one)?
Yes
Do you think women should fully cover their body in terms of their dress?

No
"Be the change you want to see in the world."
Strongly Agree (fairly agree would have been more accurate)
Do you believe humans collectively have a natural instinct towards what is right and what is wrong?
Yes
Do you believe that mutual consultation should play a part in resolving the issues of the people?
Yes
Do you agree with the following: Actions speak louder than Words?
Yes
Faith not supported by reason and empirical evidence is wishful thinking."
Strongly Agree
Do you think freedom of speech and freedom of belief/religion is a fundamental right?
Yes
Do you believe it is an individual's duty to distribute some of their wealth to the needy and promote social welfare?
Yes

stupid test :thumbup:
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#96  Postby aliihsanasl » Oct 19, 2013 11:13 pm

Fourth question is totally against Islamic teaching. There is no Original Sin in Islam its a Christian tradition. Babies born free from sins even if a Non-Muslim woman dies during giving birth she goes to heaven too because shes martyr according to Islam.

The concept of original sin simply does not exist in Islam, and never has. For the Christian readers, the question is not whether the concept of original sin exists in present day, but whether it existed during the period of Christian origins. Specifically, did Jesus teach it?

Apparently not. Whoever dreamt up the concept, it certainly wasn’t Jesus, for he reportedly taught,

http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/1776/
"If someday my teachings conflict with science, choose science"

Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK
aliihsanasl

Male

Turkey (tr)
Print view this post

#97  Postby cherries » Oct 19, 2013 11:20 pm

so what,of course they are fishing with this kind of stuff.
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Shrunk » Oct 20, 2013 12:01 am

aliihsanasl wrote:Fourth question is totally against Islamic teaching. There is no Original Sin in Islam its a Christian tradition.

Which is the point. Their argument is: Muslims don't believe in original sin. Therefore, if you don't believe in original sin, then you're a Muslim. :crazy:
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Oct 20, 2013 12:24 am

HomerJay wrote:...3. Do you believe there is only one true religion rather than elements of truth in many religions?..

False dichotomy. :coffee:
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Islam