Almost 800 forgotten Irish children dumped in 'septic tank'

mass grave at Catholic home

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Almost 800 'forgotten' Irish children dumped in septic tank

#121  Postby angelo » Jun 13, 2014 10:47 am

The_Metatron wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I think that was for witches Angelo. If they floated they burnt them anyway. :roll:

And, what burns apart from witches?

Scientologists who are fond of KFC? :lol:
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#122  Postby Varangian » Jun 13, 2014 12:46 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnfingleton/2014/06/09/that-story-about-irish-babies-in-a-septic-tank-is-a-media-hoax/

It seems like the "septic tank" bit was an exaggeration/misinterpretation. Still, it doesn't absolve the RCC. If only Hitchens had been alive today; he would have skewered that institution of puffed-up, frock-clad, celibate purveyors of bronze-age myths and repression.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#123  Postby nunnington » Jun 13, 2014 12:58 pm

Varangian wrote:http://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnfingleton/2014/06/09/that-story-about-irish-babies-in-a-septic-tank-is-a-media-hoax/

It seems like the "septic tank" bit was an exaggeration/misinterpretation. Still, it doesn't absolve the RCC. If only Hitchens had been alive today; he would have skewered that institution of puffed-up, frock-clad, celibate purveyors of bronze-age myths and repression.

I don't think it was a hoax really. It was just a typical journalistic concoction, which plenty of people wanted to believe. 800 babies found in septic tank, is much more interesting than 20 babies found, 800 deaths recorded.

I think the 'Irish Times' corrected the story a week ago, but as John Ford says in one of his films, when the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

As you say, it does not absolve the Catholic Church at all. But journalism is basically shit today, with some exceptions. They print what they think people want to read.
je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.
nunnington

Print view this post

#124  Postby Agrippina » Jun 13, 2014 1:25 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I think that was for witches Angelo. If they floated they burnt them anyway. :roll:

And, what burns apart from witches?

Stupidity? :think:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#125  Postby angelo » Jun 15, 2014 9:30 am

Nope! Stupidity would simply brush off the ashes and carry on as before.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: RE: Almost 800 'forgotten' Irish children dumped in septic tank

#126  Postby 73Landau » Jun 15, 2014 11:16 am

This sort of thing has been happening for thousands of years in all cultures. Some countries still stone women to death for wanting a relationship, or getting raped by a mob. There was the white and aboriginal children rescued from abuse and put into homes in Australia and subsequently treated less than appropriate by our modern standards. Laws and attitudes have changed so what was once accepted openly is now abhorred. I am not condoning the actions of the past, just saying that society standards are now different.
73Landau

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Animavore » Jun 15, 2014 11:22 am

73Landau wrote:This sort of thing has been happening for thousands of years in all cultures. Some countries still stone women to death for wanting a relationship, or getting raped by a mob. There was the white and aboriginal children rescued from abuse and put into homes in Australia and subsequently treated less than appropriate by our modern standards. Laws and attitudes have changed so what was once accepted openly is now abhorred. I am not condoning the actions of the past, just saying that society standards are now different.

It was only a few years ago. I'm sure it wasn't acceptable even back then in this country to toss babies into a sceptic tank. Do you think Ireland just came out of the Middle Ages or something?
And although you're not condoning it, you are excusing it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#128  Postby angelo » Jun 15, 2014 11:22 am

Some primitive cultures mostly due to lack of education are still living in the 14th century. Forced marriages of minors is another problem right under our noses which some locals are afraid to eradicate because it may offend certain cultures.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#129  Postby angelo » Jun 15, 2014 11:25 am

73Landau wrote:This sort of thing has been happening for thousands of years in all cultures. Some countries still stone women to death for wanting a relationship, or getting raped by a mob. There was the white and aboriginal children rescued from abuse and put into homes in Australia and subsequently treated less than appropriate by our modern standards. Laws and attitudes have changed so what was once accepted openly is now abhorred. I am not condoning the actions of the past, just saying that society standards are now different.

I doubt it was ever acceptable to kill babies except perhaps by the blood thirsty Aztecs or similar.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Almost 800 forgotten Irish children dumped in 'septic tank'

#130  Postby KeenIdiot » Jun 27, 2014 3:17 pm

KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#131  Postby nunnington » Jun 27, 2014 3:28 pm

KeenIdiot wrote:Looks like it was exaggerated:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... aggerated/

Wow, this comes about 3 weeks after Ms Corless protested that her discovery of the records of deaths had been exaggerated in the mass media. For some reason, the big time media have taken ages to catch up. I suppose '800 dead babies in septic tank' is much more exciting than 'sorry, we got that wrong'. Here is the story in the 'Irish Times' on 7 June.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-a ... -1.1823393

By the way, credit to Hemant for publishing a correction.
nunnington

Print view this post

#132  Postby KeenIdiot » Jun 27, 2014 4:09 pm

Lies fly while truth stumbles along.
KeenIdiot

Name: Mike
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 27, 2014 4:10 pm

The most relevant bit being this:
None of this is to excuse the substandard environment in those homes, but the reality is grim enough.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#134  Postby nunnington » Jun 27, 2014 4:22 pm

It's also a comment on sub-standard journalism. It just seems incredible that the woman who did the investigation into these deaths was protesting on 7 June, that her story had been considerably embellished; however a few people did pick this up, e.g. the 'Irish Times', Forbes (online) and 'Spiked'. Why bother with the facts, when you can have the legend?
nunnington

Print view this post

#135  Postby angelo » Jun 29, 2014 12:11 pm

Never let the facts interfere with a good story.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#136  Postby Varangian » Jun 29, 2014 4:12 pm

angelo wrote:Never let the facts interfere with a good story.

Pretty much sums up the entire Bible...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#137  Postby Animavore » Mar 09, 2017 9:37 pm

This is back in the news this week.

"Significant quantities" of human remains have been discovered at the site of the former mother-and-baby home in Tuam, Co Galway.

It comes after the Mother and Baby Homes Commission of Investigation began test excavations at the site of the children's burial ground on the Dublin Road housing estate in Tuam, Co Galway in October 2016.

The commission was established following allegations about the deaths of 800 babies in Tuam over a number of decades and the manner in which they were buried.

In a statement today, the commission said significant quantities of human remains have been discovered in at least 17 of the 20 underground chambers which were examined earlier this year.

It added: "These remains involved a number of individuals with age-at-death ranges from approximately 35 foetal weeks to two-three years."

The mother-and-baby home operated from 1925 to 1961; a number of the samples are likely to date from the 1950s, the commission said. Further scientific tests are being conducted.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0303/85691 ... ther-baby/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#138  Postby Animavore » Mar 09, 2017 9:39 pm

Arsehole government still reluctant to come out in force against the church.

Dáil debate on Tuam babies' scandal delayed as fewer than 20 TDs show up.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/po ... 15795.html
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Byron » Mar 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Sadly true. Silver lining's that the church ain't close to what she was, and never will be again.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#140  Postby OlivierK » Mar 10, 2017 8:43 am

Even at my most cynical about the Catholic church, I find the scale of what went on at the mother and baby homes in Ireland simply unimaginable.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs