Almost 800 forgotten Irish children dumped in 'septic tank'

mass grave at Catholic home

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Almost 800 'forgotten' Irish children dumped in septic tank

#81  Postby Beatsong » Jun 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Alan B wrote:There are others...
Following revelations that an estimated 796 children were buried in a mass grave in Tuam in Co Galway, the Irish Daily Mail has brought to light the fact that there is a similar grave at what was known as the Castlepollard Mother and Child Home (later St Peter’s).

According to the organisation Adoption Rights Now (ARN), there may be as many as 500 babies buried in the “little angels” plot at Castlepollard.

ARN claims that 2800 to 3000 babies were born in Castlepollard. Of these, “2,500 were adopted out and between 300 to 500 died although this figure could be higher (no one knows the actual numbers)”.

Sorry I don't mean to be thick, but that seems even less outrageous.

Some babies died - at a time and in a place of widespread infant mortality - and were buried. Er... :scratch:

If it's the existence of the places, or the hypocrisy of society that put them there that is so sickening - then sure, they were horrible. But the fact that they buried children who died - what would you expect them to do, eat them?
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Weaver » Jun 07, 2014 9:07 pm

They died at rates 5 times the general Irish rate - this isn't just about high infant mortality, this is severe neglect.

And they didn't "bury" these corpses - not according to their own standards of what a proper burial is. They took the expedient measure of chucking them in a septic tank - presumably because tossing them out with the rubbish would attract attention.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Animavore » Jun 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Not only that they were plucked away from their mothers who weren't even told what happened to their babies.

There's calls for a criminal investigation. I'm sure we'll get more answers.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Beatsong » Jun 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Weaver wrote:They died at rates 5 times the general Irish rate - this isn't just about high infant mortality, this is severe neglect.

Ah see I didn't know that. That makes more sense.

And they didn't "bury" these corpses - not according to their own standards of what a proper burial is. They took the expedient measure of chucking them in a septic tank - presumably because tossing them out with the rubbish would attract attention.

I was referring to Alan's more recent link to the other story.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Weaver » Jun 07, 2014 9:31 pm

Those still weren't "proper" burials by Catholic standards. Mass, unmarked graves, no coffins, etc. - damn hypocrites.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 07, 2014 9:46 pm

Beatsong wrote:
campermon wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:I too am unclear.

I thought, as atheists, we don't consider dead bodies to be endowed with special qualities? They're just organ sacks, aren't they? A "collection of cells which will soon begin to disassemble and rot away". Not a person, but a "lump of meat".

Once again, zero consistency being displayed on these forums. And people claim that Mick is trolling...

You raise an interesting point SD.

Perhaps we associate the 'special qualities' that our loved ones had in life with their corpses? :dunno:

I think it's reasonable of SD to highlight the double standard. The pure physicality of dead bodies, and the lack of any special or spiritual significance pertaining to them, has been expressed before here in relation to a range of subjects. To suddenly see so much outrage at the fact that they didn't get a Christian burial does seem odd.

Who here has expresed that view?

Beatsong wrote:I just don't think it's very clear exactly what people are so angry about here. If it's the fact that the kids didn't get a proper funeral and burial, then as I say it does seem at odds with normal attitudes here. If OTOH it's the fact that they were probably neglected and many died of malnutrition, all because they were born out of wedlock and didn't grow up in proper families - then sure, that's terrible.

The bolded bit. The way they were 'buried' only serves to demonstrate how little care they gave for the whole thing.

Beatsong wrote:But I think I thought it was saying that the Church had deliberately killed these kids or something, or thrown them in there alive to hide the shame. Drilling down to what the story actually says, and what it adds to the historical picture we already had, it seems nothing like that. Just that illegitimate children in religious societies had a shit life and an anonymous death. Incredibly sad, but we already knew that.

Begging the question that everybody knew that.
More-over even if we do, that doesn't make it any less disgusting.

Beatsong wrote:It seems like just another excuse to reiterate how much we hate the christians.

Like Paul, I don't hate Christians. I despise people who treat other people this way, regardless of religious affiliation and orginisations that aid in this and/or try to cover it up.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Animavore » Jun 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Weaver wrote:Those still weren't "proper" burials by Catholic standards. Mass, unmarked graves, no coffins, etc. - damn hypocrites.

I wonder were they ever even Christened in cases.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 07, 2014 10:04 pm

Animavore wrote:
Weaver wrote:Those still weren't "proper" burials by Catholic standards. Mass, unmarked graves, no coffins, etc. - damn hypocrites.

I wonder were they ever even Christened in cases.

No they weren't. And I think that's used as some kind of justification for how they were treated pre- and post-mortem.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 07, 2014 10:08 pm

From the BBC article linked earlier in the thread:

The children of these women were denied baptism and segregated from others at school. If they died at such facilities, they were also denied a Christian burial.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Strontium Dog » Jun 08, 2014 12:53 am

DaveD wrote:The mode of disposal of the corpses is indicative of a lack of care in life, just as your posts are indicative of a lack of empathy.

Fact-free bullshit, as usual.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Strontium Dog » Jun 08, 2014 12:54 am

Animavore wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:
Animavore wrote:The records? What records? That's the point.

And nevermind what the records show, it's what the autopsy shows that will be vital in this case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27710206

County Galway death records showed that most of the children buried in the unmarked grave had died of sickness or malnutrition.

Are you being obtuse? Did you even read the headline and first paragraph of the article you linked?

No, I'm not being obtuse. As you can see, I read more than the headline, I read the whole article.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Strontium Dog » Jun 08, 2014 12:55 am

Beatsong wrote:I think it's reasonable of SD to highlight the double standard. The pure physicality of dead bodies, and the lack of any special or spiritual significance pertaining to them, has been expressed before here in relation to a range of subjects. To suddenly see so much outrage at the fact that they didn't get a Christian burial does seem odd.

That's really all I'm saying.

But apparently this means I lack empathy? :scratch:
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Animavore » Jun 08, 2014 1:00 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:
Animavore wrote:The records? What records? That's the point.

And nevermind what the records show, it's what the autopsy shows that will be vital in this case.

County Galway death records showed that most of the children buried in the unmarked grave had died of sickness or malnutrition.

Are you being obtuse? Did you even read the headline and first paragraph of the article you linked?

No, I'm not being obtuse. As you can see, I read more than the headline, I read the whole article.

So did I. The article confirms what I said. So what's your point?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Strontium Dog » Jun 08, 2014 1:14 am

Animavore wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

So did I. The article confirms what I said. So what's your point?

Er, what.

The article states that the church has no records. Not that no records exist. Indeed, it explicitly points out that County Galway does have records.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#95  Postby james1v » Jun 08, 2014 1:52 am

Did they tell the mothers, fathers, grand parents, brothers and sisters, that their relative had been dumped, along with the local excrement?

No.

Because it would have led to protests, less respect. Respect they did not deserve in the first place, they knew this. Thats why they didn't let anyone know.

Callous arse holes. With no respect for anyone.
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#96  Postby Paul » Jun 08, 2014 6:18 am

Strontium Dog wrote:
Beatsong wrote:I think it's reasonable of SD to highlight the double standard. The pure physicality of dead bodies, and the lack of any special or spiritual significance pertaining to them, has been expressed before here in relation to a range of subjects. To suddenly see so much outrage at the fact that they didn't get a Christian burial does seem odd.

That's really all I'm saying.

But no-one was expressing outrage 'just because they didn't get a Christian burial', which was the conclusion you leapt to, and so accused everyone of being inconsistent.
You were wrong.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Ironclad » Jun 08, 2014 8:49 am

Agrippina wrote:
Made of Stars wrote::waah:

Yes that too. I hate the bloody RCC, and the goddamned cloud they came in on, and their nuns. :nono:

I was schooled in a RCC convent. They made me hate Jebus :whine:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#99  Postby campermon » Jun 08, 2014 9:24 am

Ironclad wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

Yes that too. I hate the bloody RCC, and the goddamned cloud they came in on, and their nuns. :nono:

What? With nuns and that?
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Agrippina » Jun 08, 2014 10:28 am

campermon wrote:
Ironclad wrote:
Agrippina wrote:

What? With nuns and that?

Yep nuns were my first encounter with religious fundies who made me hate them. If that's what Jesus wanted, I didn't want a part of him. :nono:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs