Almost 800 forgotten Irish children dumped in 'septic tank'

mass grave at Catholic home

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Almost 800 'forgotten' Irish children dumped in septic tank

#61  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 07, 2014 7:31 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:I thought, as atheists, we don't consider dead bodies to be endowed with special qualities? They're just organ sacks, aren't they? A "collection of cells which will soon begin to disassemble and rot away". Not a person, but a "lump of meat".

Just as Mick is a brilliant advertisement for the unfeeling side of christianity, so too are you a brilliant one for what some would like to believe is the unfeeling side of atheism.

:roll:
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#62  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Animavore wrote:
I don't think Mick is trolling at all. I think his beliefs are genuinely messed up.

FWIW, Ani, I think you are wrong. I don't think he is even really christian, never mind a catholic.
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#63  Postby Strontium Dog » Jun 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Animavore wrote:So it wouldn't bother you to throw a deceased loved one to the dogs or a society of necrophiliacs then?

It's immaterial what I think, since what I think is often at odds with what many here think.

Animavore wrote:It's how the bodies got there is the issue and why there remains no records rather than the bodies in and of themselves.

They got sick and died. As the records show.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Name: Dan
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#64  Postby campermon » Jun 07, 2014 7:35 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Beatsong wrote:I'm not sure I'm clear what's actually going on here.

Is the story just about the fact that when these children died (of disease and "natural causes") they were chucked in the septic tank instead of being given a proper burial?

Or is there a much stronger claim involved - that they killed the babies, or neglected them until they died prematurely or something, to avoid the religious disgraces of bastardy or abortion?

I too am unclear.

I thought, as atheists, we don't consider dead bodies to be endowed with special qualities? They're just organ sacks, aren't they? A "collection of cells which will soon begin to disassemble and rot away". Not a person, but a "lump of meat".

Once again, zero consistency being displayed on these forums. And people claim that Mick is trolling...

You raise an interesting point SD.

Perhaps we associate the 'special qualities' that our loved ones had in life with their corpses? :dunno:

When my own mother died a few years ago, on the rational / intellectual level I knew that the body that lay before me was merely a lump of meat. However, to treat it as such would have been abhorrent.

Maybe the thought that those in charge of these babies thought so little of them that their little corspes should be just chucked into a sceptic tank is what horrifies?
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Animavore » Jun 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Animavore wrote:So it wouldn't bother you to throw a deceased loved one to the dogs or a society of necrophiliacs then?

It's immaterial what I think, since what I think is often at odds with what many here think.

Animavore wrote:It's how the bodies got there is the issue and why there remains no records rather than the bodies in and of themselves.

The records? What records? That's the point.

And nevermind what the records show, it's what the autopsy shows that will be vital in this case.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Strontium Dog » Jun 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Paul wrote::roll:
So you assume and jump to the conclusion that people are objecting to the mode of the burials. Very rational.

Yes, it is rational, because the maltreatment of inmates at these establishments is certainly not news, so what could people be objecting to that is new?

And certainly, reading the news reports, the vast amount of opprobrium seems to concern the mode of disposal of the bodies. It's that which seems to be the focal point for the news story.
Liberal.

STRONTIUM'S LAW: All online discussions about British politics, irrespective of the topic, will eventually turn to the Lib Dem tuition fee pledge
Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Strontium Dog » Jun 07, 2014 7:39 pm

Animavore wrote:The records? What records? That's the point.

And nevermind what the records show, it's what the autopsy shows that will be vital in this case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27710206

County Galway death records showed that most of the children buried in the unmarked grave had died of sickness or malnutrition.
Liberal.

Strontium Dog
Banned User

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#68  Postby DaveD » Jun 07, 2014 7:41 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
So you assume and jump to the conclusion that people are objecting to the mode of the burials. Very rational.

Yes, it is rational, because the maltreatment of inmates at these establishments is certainly not news, so what could people be objecting to that is new?

And certainly, reading the news reports, the vast amount of opprobrium seems to concern the mode of disposal of the bodies. It's that which seems to be the focal point for the news story.

The mode of disposal of the corpses is indicative of a lack of care in life, just as your posts are indicative of a lack of empathy.
DaveD

Name: Dave Davis
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Animavore » Jun 07, 2014 7:44 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Animavore wrote:The records? What records? That's the point.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27710206

County Galway death records showed that most of the children buried in the unmarked grave had died of sickness or malnutrition.

Are you being obtuse? Did you even read the headline and first paragraph of the article you linked?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#70  Postby campermon » Jun 07, 2014 7:44 pm

DaveD wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:

The mode of disposal of the corpses is indicative of a lack of care in life, just as your posts are indicative of a lack of empathy.

Indeed.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Paul » Jun 07, 2014 7:45 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

You have a strange definition of rational then.

Yes, just more evidence of the hypocrisy of the organisation that took children into its 'loving' care and then let them die of malnutrition and then dumped the bodies.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jun 07, 2014 7:57 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:

I agree 100% with you! :thumbup:
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#73  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 07, 2014 8:08 pm

Fucking hell, Skinny. Do you have any idea what it is that you are agreeing with?
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#74  Postby Paul » Jun 07, 2014 8:09 pm

The bit in blue I think DD
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#75  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 07, 2014 8:11 pm

Paul wrote:The bit in blue I think DD

Phew, thanks, Paul!

I missed that, and I apologise to Skinny!
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#76  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jun 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
Paul wrote:The bit in blue I think DD

Phew, thanks, Paul!

I missed that, and I apologise to Skinny!

No problem! :thumbup:

I used to highlight in red, but I kinda like blue now.

While I’m here and musing...

I love Gershwin’s music, but whenever he had guests over he dominated the evening by playing his music almost non-stop, so the evening was basically all about him.

I think (?) it was Oscar Levant who said: “An evening with George Gershwin is a George Gershwin evening.”

I suppose one could say:

A thread about almost anything is a SD thread.”
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Alan B » Jun 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Is there any chance that some of the low-life that ran this 'home' are still around?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#78  Postby Beatsong » Jun 07, 2014 8:26 pm

campermon wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:I too am unclear.

I thought, as atheists, we don't consider dead bodies to be endowed with special qualities? They're just organ sacks, aren't they? A "collection of cells which will soon begin to disassemble and rot away". Not a person, but a "lump of meat".

Once again, zero consistency being displayed on these forums. And people claim that Mick is trolling...

You raise an interesting point SD.

Perhaps we associate the 'special qualities' that our loved ones had in life with their corpses? :dunno:

I think it's reasonable of SD to highlight the double standard. The pure physicality of dead bodies, and the lack of any special or spiritual significance pertaining to them, has been expressed before here in relation to a range of subjects. To suddenly see so much outrage at the fact that they didn't get a Christian burial does seem odd.

I just don't think it's very clear exactly what people are so angry about here. If it's the fact that the kids didn't get a proper funeral and burial, then as I say it does seem at odds with normal attitudes here. If OTOH it's the fact that they were probably neglected and many died of malnutrition, all because they were born out of wedlock and didn't grow up in proper families - then sure, that's terrible. OTOH it's hardly news. We already knew what those places were like and what Irish society generally was like at the time.

I must admit when I first read the story I was as disgusted and outraged as anyone here. But I think I thought it was saying that the Church had deliberately killed these kids or something, or thrown them in there alive to hide the shame. Drilling down to what the story actually says, and what it adds to the historical picture we already had, it seems nothing like that. Just that illegitimate children in religious societies had a shit life and an anonymous death. Incredibly sad, but we already knew that.

It seems like just another excuse to reiterate how much we hate the christians.
NEVER WRONG. ESPECIALLY WHEN I AM.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Paul » Jun 07, 2014 8:30 pm

I don't hate christians. I despise the sort of people that knowingly allowed that sort of thing to happen and I despise the sort of people who try to pretend that it's nothing to do with a culture that encouraged deference to 'holy' people.
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#80  Postby Alan B » Jun 07, 2014 8:42 pm

There are others...
Following revelations that an estimated 796 children were buried in a mass grave in Tuam in Co Galway, the Irish Daily Mail has brought to light the fact that there is a similar grave at what was known as the Castlepollard Mother and Child Home (later St Peter’s).

According to the organisation Adoption Rights Now (ARN), there may be as many as 500 babies buried in the “little angels” plot at Castlepollard.

ARN claims that 2800 to 3000 babies were born in Castlepollard. Of these, “2,500 were adopted out and between 300 to 500 died although this figure could be higher (no one knows the actual numbers)”.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs