Almost 800 forgotten Irish children dumped in 'septic tank'

mass grave at Catholic home

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Almost 800 forgotten Irish children dumped in 'septic tank'

#1  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 05, 2014 7:20 am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-05/almost-800-irish-children-dumped-in-septic-tank-mass-grave/5501482

A septic tank was used to dump the bodies of almost 800 babies and children in Ireland near a home for unmarried mothers run by nuns, new research has shown, throwing more light on the Irish Catholic Church's troubled past.

Death records suggest 796 children, from newborns to eight-year-olds, were dumped in a septic tank near a Catholic-run home for unmarried mothers, turning it into in a mass grave. The deaths occurred during the 35 years the home operated from 1925 to 1961.

The government announced it was examining the "best means" to address the "deeply disturbing" revelations.

Historian Catherine Corless, who made the discovery, said her study of death records for St Mary's home in Tuam in County Galway suggests the former septic tank near the facility is a mass grave.

The septic tank, full to the brim with bones, was discovered in 1975 by locals when concrete slabs covering the tank broke up.

Until now, locals believed the bones mainly stemmed from the Great Irish famine of the 1840s when hundreds of thousands perished.

Of course the church has already disavowed any responsiblity.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Almost 800 'forgotten' Irish children dumped in septic tank

#2  Postby Ironclad » Jun 05, 2014 7:40 am

Beyond disgusting. :(
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#3  Postby chairman bill » Jun 05, 2014 7:47 am

It certainly is
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby hackenslash » Jun 05, 2014 7:53 am

There's a mass grave at one of the 'orphanages' mum grew up in. They don't actually know how many children are buried there. A group of survivors and children of survivors arranged for a dedication with a headstone.

Oh, and for our resident catlicker apologist, this was a catholic convent. ;)

Apologise that.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Fallible » Jun 05, 2014 8:14 am

The poor little dots.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jun 05, 2014 8:56 am

Sickening.

What other words are there? I am sickened that a human could do something like this, sickened that it will be apologised for to protect the institution that oversaw it and sickened the people will keep on following that institution for moral guidance.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 05, 2014 9:06 am

Until now, locals believed the bones mainly stemmed from the Great Irish famine of the 1840s when hundreds of thousands perished.

Well, I may be wrong, but I didn't think septic tanks were around in the 1840's.

*googles*

The invention of the septic tank is credited to Frenchman John Louis Mouras, who, during the 1860s constructed a masonry tank into which was directed various household detritus from a small dwelling in Vesoul, France, subsequently overflowing to an ordinary cesspool. After a dozen years, the tank was opened and found, contrary to all expectations, to be almost free from solids. Subsequent to collaborations with one Abbé Moigno, a priest-c­um-scientist of the period, Mouras was able to patent his invention on 2 September, 1881. It is believed that the septic tank was first introduced to the USA in 1883, to England in 1895 and to South Africa (by the British military) in 1898.

http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A873876
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#8  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 05, 2014 9:08 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Sickening.

What other words are there? I am sickened that a human could do something like this, sickened that it will be apologised for to protect the institution that oversaw it and sickened the people will keep on following that institution for moral guidance.

Oh, but Darth, they were not 'saved' souls, so what did/does it matter?

:?
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#9  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 05, 2014 9:12 am

I thought homes for unwed mothers resolved the "problem" of abortion. Looks like they just let the kids die after birth. :S
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Jun 05, 2014 9:17 am

Doubtdispelled wrote:

I know you don't mean this DD but the knowledge that this is a real apologetic for it sickens me even more.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby chairman bill » Jun 05, 2014 9:20 am

It's not that they weren't saved souls, so much as they were conceived in sin, and as tainted souls deserved no more than they got [/RatSkepCatlickApologist_mode]*

* 'cos while Mick's away, someone has to do it
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby babel » Jun 05, 2014 9:21 am

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:I thought homes for unwed mothers resolved the "problem" of abortion. Looks like they just let the kids die after birth. :S

Don't point out to them that in those homes, it was survival of the fittest, or they'll be blaming 'evilutionists' for it instead of owning their repugnant history.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Doubtdispelled » Jun 05, 2014 9:33 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:

I know you don't mean this DD but the knowledge that this is a real apologetic for it sickens me even more.

No, of course I don't, Darth, and yes, it's really sickening.

Conservative Catholic teaching at the time denied children of unmarried parents baptism and therefore burial in consecrated lands.

http://news.msn.com/world/800-babies-bu ... ed-mothers

As the offspring of 'fallen' women, they were probably viewed as little more than vermin.

I'm having trouble accepting that this apparently happened between 1925 to 1961. I was born in 1950 to an Irish mother. If it weren't for the fact that she had already fled Ireland when she was 17, and had met and married my father some years later when she was already pregnant with my half-sister, then both she (my sister) and I could easily be a part of that collection of bones.

What's that saying... "There but for the grace of God, go I"

Well I say fuck the grace of god.
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#14  Postby Paul » Jun 05, 2014 9:58 am

Whatever certain apologists may try to claim like

A Catholic institution is not the Catholic Church itself. What's more, the RCC has much decentralization to it, with geographic areas largely under control of certain bishops rather than micromanaged from the Holy See or anyone else.

The Catholic Church provided the ideology and the infrastructure that led to this obscenity.
Through its position of power and through the indoctrination of the populations over which it had power, it was the enabler for this sort of thing, and many other disgusting episodes in its history.
Priest, nuns and monks were deferred to because of the church, and because people didn't know any better. No amount of weaselling can excuse their actions or the churches part in allowing them to happen.

That there are people who propagate warped ideas like calling homosexuality a "disorder", is evidence of the way bigotry and hatred is fostered through the dogmatic adherence to some of the obnoxious teachings of this mediaeval institution.
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby johnbrandt » Jun 05, 2014 10:00 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
The government announced it was examining the "best means" to address the "deeply disturbing" revelations.

How about "These catholic church fuckers killed hundreds of children"...? Would that be a good way to "address" the revelations...?
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#16  Postby surreptitious57 » Jun 05, 2014 10:03 am

Many children of the time were adopted by rich Americans and the mother had to waive all rights to the child for life. And there was an absolutely heartbreaking documentary made by Martin Sixsmith of one of the women who had never seen her son since he was taken from her when she was put in one of these homes. She managed to find it again over forty years later and asked the nuns if she could have access to information they had so she could trace him. But they absolutely point blank
refused and if I remember correctly she later discovered he had died so she never got to see him. But had they given her the information she could have traced him but they chose not to all because of that waiver she signed decades ago. Unbelievable

I was surprised to find that the home in the OP was in Galway since that is the next county to where my mother comes from [ Mayo ] One of the photographs of the children is dated 1924 which is the year she was born. I wonder if there are more of these unmarked graves scattered around Ireland. I would not be the least bit surprised if there were. What is almost beyond belief is how no one noticed for over thirty five years. I say almost because I am no longer surprised at what human beings do to each other. The sooner the species becomes extinct the better. Seriously
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#17  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jun 05, 2014 11:56 am

Actually, it is not yet known why the institution decided to do as they did, and repeated the decision over and over again. We only know so far, that they did so.

Not excusing this even remotely, mind you, just fighting as I always do, for factual analysis over hyperbole.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby DougC » Jun 05, 2014 12:43 pm

No, cant be true! Not the Catholic Church?

Glad I was not driveing when this came on the radio this morning. SICK BASTARDS.
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Sendraks » Jun 05, 2014 12:46 pm

DougC wrote:No, cant be true! Not the Catholic Church?

No one expects..............................THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!

Only we do now and sadly await the next atrocity to be hand waved away.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 05, 2014 12:52 pm

...the Irish Catholic Church's troubled past...

Gross Grotesque understatement. Oh, and Jesus Fucking Wept, but what a tragedy. :nono:
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs