24%
Four to Six
2%
Seven to Nine
2%
Ten or more
No votes

Total votes : 46

Re: How many people have you de-converted?

#261  Postby Wortfish » Oct 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Fallible wrote:
More complete shit. Whatever you do is for your own interests. For some reason you think making yourself look like a stupid bastard on the internet is in your best interest, or you sure as fuck wouldn't be molesting everyone else with your toolish behaviour right no.

A theist has his main interest in pleasing his God. This may means sacrificing his own life, something an atheist would be reluctant to do. Christians braved the lions in the Roman circuses. Can you really see atheists doing that?
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#262  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Fallible wrote:
Wortfish wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Yes, we do have our personal interests and safety in mind. Is that something theists resile from?

One's interests and one's morals are not always congruent. If you are a true atheist, who believes in no supreme good, you will choose your interests over your scruples every time. A theist will always choose their morals over their personal whims.

More complete shit. Whatever you do is for your own interests. For some reason you think making yourself look like a stupid bastard on the internet is in your best interest, or you sure as fuck wouldn't be molesting everyone else with your toolish behaviour right now.

no sounds like cliched Southpark canadian for now :tehe: also agree, the worty one's avatar has more nouse, and is basically a goldfish (3 second memory?)

ETA: ah pants, you edited it :waah:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#263  Postby Sendraks » Oct 09, 2018 3:19 pm

Wortfish wrote: This may means sacrificing his own life, something an atheist would be reluctant to do.

Yes I'd certainly be reluctant to sacrifice my life for god.

Wortfish wrote: Can you really see atheists doing that?

Sacrificing their own lives for other? yup.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#264  Postby Fallible » Oct 09, 2018 3:20 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
More complete shit. Whatever you do is for your own interests. For some reason you think making yourself look like a stupid bastard on the internet is in your best interest, or you sure as fuck wouldn't be molesting everyone else with your toolish behaviour right no.

A theist has his main interest in pleasing his God. This may means sacrificing his own life, something an atheist would be reluctant to do. Christians braved the lions in the Roman circuses. Can you really see atheists doing that?

Are you being serious right now? I'm just asking, because everything that comes out of your brain looks like a very stupid joke. You're making an idiot of yourself. Iunno, maybe that's what your god wants. If so, mission accomplished, and may you live happily ever after at the right hand of the god of the tools.
Last edited by Fallible on Oct 09, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#265  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 09, 2018 3:23 pm

"Diseased goldfish"

Call a man (yourself) a thief, and he (you) become a thief, call yourself a diseased goldfish and....you can guess the rest
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#266  Postby Thommo » Oct 09, 2018 3:24 pm

Go on to become a sick rap star? :ask:
Thommo

Print view this post

#267  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Nope, sick rappers are the greatest :awe:

Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#268  Postby laklak » Oct 09, 2018 3:39 pm

zulumoose wrote:
Hogwash, unless you are playing no true Scotsman here, with a hypothetical true atheist who is focussed all the time on how nothing means anything, which matches nobody except perhaps some psychopaths
Attachments
nihilists2.png
nihilists2.png (373.38 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#269  Postby Thommo » Oct 09, 2018 4:10 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Nope, sick rappers are the greatest :awe:

Offtopic, I know, but that is such a cool talent. Very impressive.
Thommo

Print view this post

#270  Postby Hermit » Oct 09, 2018 5:56 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Hermit wrote:A mind reader you are not. You see, this atheist does not need a belief in a supreme good to realise that his interests are best served by respecting the same interests of others. The underlying principle is called reciprocity. Atheists realise that without it they'd be living in the real world equivalent of hell.

You are advancing a utilitarian rather than an ethical philosophy.

Utilitarianism is moral philosophy without god.

Wortfish wrote:I suspect that if you (or any other atheist) were on a sinking boat with three small children (not your own), you would happily throw them overboard to save yourself.

Whereas theists, as Sendraks already told you, would fuck them first.

Wortfish wrote:
Hermit wrote:Furthermore, if your thesis that atheists will choose their interests over their scruples every time, that would make them a rather lawless bunch. You'd then have to expect few of them to be walking freely among society at large. If you cared to look at prison populations, you'd discover that this is not so.

Or it could be that atheists are just too smart to get caught. :smoke:

You are not a normal theist. Normally, theists become (somewhat justifiably) upset whenever someone suggests they are not as smart as atheists.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#271  Postby laklak » Oct 09, 2018 6:05 pm

Wortfish wrote:I suspect that if you (or any other atheist) were on a sinking boat with three small children (not your own), you would happily throw them overboard to save yourself.

I would never throw away emergency provisions.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#272  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Don't say throwaway; irony overload RE abusing children.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#273  Postby Alan B » Oct 09, 2018 8:00 pm

Wortfish wrote:A theist has his main interest in pleasing his God.

So, female theists don't matter? Since you have personalised this God, does this imply that this 'God' is different for each person? Or are you suggesting that any 'god' from any religion will do?

This may means sacrificing his own life, something an atheist would be reluctant to do.

Rubbish. If the circumstances demanded it, any human being would sacrifice their life. A 'God' or a 'god' has nothing to do with it.

Christians braved the lions in the Roman circuses. Can you really see atheists doing that?

Christians were only a minor part of the Roman entertainment. They didn't go willingly, but were rounded-up. I'm sure they didn't say to the soldiers, "Hey, there are a load of Christians here, we want to be fed to the lions". There were plenty of non-Christians who were fed to the lions.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#274  Postby Cirrhosis » Oct 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Yes, we do have our personal interests and safety in mind. Is that something theists resile from?Yes, we do have our personal interests and safety in mind. Is that something theists resile from?
One's interests and one's morals are not always congruent. If you are a true atheist, who believes in no supreme good, you will choose your interests over your scruples every time. A theist will always choose their morals over their personal whims.

ElDiablo wrote:

:rofl:

Are you Ray Comfort?

No. He's the reincarnation of the ugly old cunt in sandals.

Wortfish wrote:

My purpose is to grow and learn through the trials and tribulations in my life. Atheists fear pains and suffering. Theists rejoice in them because it is only through suffering that we can learn and improve ourselves.

My bolding.

Edit #5. Although it isn't immediately obvious, I am getting a grip on this quote function.
Last edited by Cirrhosis on Oct 10, 2018 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cirrhosis

Name: Bill Smith
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#275  Postby Cirrhosis » Oct 09, 2018 11:44 pm

I've made a balls of that quote/post. But fuckit, I think you get me drift.
Cirrhosis

Name: Bill Smith
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#276  Postby surreptitious57 » Oct 10, 2018 10:42 am

Wortfish wrote:
Atheists fear pain and suffering. Theists rejoice in them because
it is only through suffering that we can learn and improve ourselves

I fear pain and suffering but not because I am atheist but human. You can
learn and improve through suffering without having to rejoice in it as well
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#277  Postby Alan B » Oct 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Wortfish wrote:snip. Theists rejoice in them because

Could please quote the exact part of the NT where this notion is first put forward?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#278  Postby Hermit » Oct 10, 2018 8:32 pm

Alan B wrote:
Wortfish wrote:snip. Theists rejoice in them because

Could please quote the exact part of the NT where this notion is first put forward?

"And so I tell you, every kind of sin and slander can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven."

Oh. Wait...
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Nontheism