List 3 Coincidences You Know Of (For Debunking?)

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: List 3 Coincidences You Know Of (For Debunking?)

#81  Postby Skinny Puppy » Apr 13, 2012 12:33 am

1 – My birthday is May 6th, that’s also the same day I was born!

2 – If you take my age and divide it by 2, I’m only half my age.

3 – My mom and dad were both born in the month of April and they were both born in exactly the same location... except for the 1,000 miles in-between.

I can’t explain those eerie coincidences? :scratch: They may well defy science, but they’re real none-the-less.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Someone » Apr 13, 2012 3:19 am

Interesting.
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Name: James

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Oldskeptic » May 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Grace wrote:The coincidence of coincidence happening at any time of the day is actually quite high, around 30%. I saw that figure in print somewhere, but I'll be damned if I can find it now. That means if you happen to read a word and hear someone say a word at the same time, that coincidence happens quite often.

The most impressive coincidence for me happened several years ago when I went on vacation to Disneyland. I knew a co-worker was going on vacation at the same time but neither of us asked the other where we were going. To my surprise, I saw her at one of the shows sitting up on the balcony in the front row. I got her attention and waved at her. She was surprised too.

I'll see if I can find the percentage of the coincidence of coincidence somewhere on the Internet or among my friends. Don't get too grumpy, I'm not in the mood.

I've been to Disney Land four times in my life, live in Utah, and every time I have run into people that I know from Utah.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#84  Postby campermon » May 01, 2012 9:03 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:1 – My birthday is May 6th, that’s also the same day I was born!

2 – If you take my age and divide it by 2, I’m only half my age.

3 – My mom and dad were both born in the month of April and they were both born in exactly the same location... except for the 1,000 miles in-between.

I can’t explain those eerie coincidences? :scratch: They may well defy science, but they’re real none-the-less.

:rofl:

win!
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Spearthrower » May 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Someone wrote:
hackenslash wrote:
MacIver wrote:The moon is the same distance closer to the Earth than the sun is the size of the moon, relatively speaking, so both appear the same size to us.

I always thought that was pretty odd... :think:

Indeed, but the moon is receding. It would be pretty astounding if this didn't happen at some point...

True, hackenslash, but you pretty well understand my reasons for connecting this with our particular stage of advancement as an intelligence, I believe.

I don't.

Please explain why this is such a coincidence?

I mean, I understand that they coincide, but I can't see how this could have mystical or other significance.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#86  Postby Someone » May 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Later. Just say "Ahem! Post #85 of your 3-coincidences thread" if it appears I have spent 3 hours on each of 3 other threads. I only have public computer use, so b-bye.
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Skinny Puppy » May 11, 2012 4:56 am

Well I’m sorry and disappointed to see this thread end. I actually had a few more eerie coincidences to relate.

1 – My mom and dad were just like parents to me.
2 – I’m an only child except for my 2 sisters.
3 – I have an identical twin brother. We’re 100% identical twins except for the fact that I don’t have a brother.

I’m normally quite the skeptic, but these types of mysterious happenings have me slightly unnerved. Science can’t give me answers; I’ve drawn a blank with religion... where to turn? :dunno:
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#88  Postby Someone » May 11, 2012 12:49 pm

Reminder post, since I am being provoked (post 1 of thread repeated, and I did receive some fair attempts at responses along the lines requested). This post is just for people who don't read OPs on their own for some reason, and is an exception. I should add that as regards the loss by Kasparov to Deep Blue, until late Wednesday I was unaware of the Qayen earthquake in northeastern Iran the preceding day, and it turns out--similar to the thread I have posted most frequently to--that the total number of both elapsed seconds and elapsed minutes in 1997 (in UTC, not Iranian time) prior to the earthquake were prime numbers (11174249 for the number of seconds (The time I found for it was 7:57:29.7, assuming it was accurate, and I don't have the number of minutes in memory at the moment)).
Someone wrote:I have noted that a lot of talk goes on about people's irrational and irrational-seeming belief systems. I am interested in hearing the oddest stories from personal life or historically-verified generally-accepted matters. Then rebuttals can be made or people can just shrug and say Wow. Please don't lie.

I'll start with myself:
1) My biggest thing is a birthday coincidence. Here are ten dates in chronological order in da/mo/yr format (I'll get to what they are, but you may recognize two or three): 03/01/42, 16/02/43, 16/07/45, 06/08/45, 09/08/45, 06/07/64, 16/07/64,
06/08/64, 09/08/65, & 11/05/97. The 1st, 2nd, & 6th are my father's, my mother's, and my own d.o.b. I'm in the USA, so to me these are all 2 days after holidays, and I guess the minor significance of the second holiday--relatively speaking--is made up for a little or a lot by this being the opposite-gender parent from myself. The 3rd-5th are the dates of the Trinity Site nuclear test and the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The 7th-9th are the d.o.b. of my closest same-generation relatives, for whom I am the sole link in that generation (I have six first cousins, two of these through my father's step-brother, three through his sister, and one through my mother's sister. I knew and know the birth dates only of the three closest in age to me: two of the three sons of my paternal aunt and my maternal aunt's daughter). The 10th is the date that Gary Kasparov lost to the IBM computer Deep Blue in a match (sequence of games) akin to a world championship though not recognized in those terms. You'll note that my cousins' birth dates are anniversaries of the explosions. Furhtermore, my older cousin, the other full cousin, taught me chess and I spent a lot of time using a computer to analyze the game. Even more, my own birthday also links to the third and tenth dates as follows: 7061964=4*1765491 and 6071964=4*1517991. Yet more is that I discovered the date of the Trinity Site test about 3 months after the 7.6-magnitude earthquake in Kashmir (and I could go on with some of the stuff that was preparatory to my making the full link).
2) 1 was useful in causing me to calculate (365+1/4)^4=17797577732+7^2/2^8. By extending the 7s on the right to get 17797777777.777... and taking the fourth root and subtracting 365.25 you get a string of digits whose first two 2nd millennium dates are 1957 and 1863. Pairing these two dates in a search of Britannica 2001 (CD) gives "Baha'i faith" as one of 20 hits. Placing "Baha'i" in the search gives 19382 hits, because it handles the apostrophe incorrectly (generating all the hits for "i"), and my 5-digit zip code is 19382, and 1938.2 as a date is in between the two days that Hitler bullied the Czechoslovak prime minister and then marched on Czechoslovakia. The zip-code system was also started in the year before I was born. There is quite a bit more about this date stuff that this post won't hold.
3) The very first thread I started on my own is a thread at h2g2. It's numbered as my 7-digit phone number aside from one digit being off by one digit.

Now, I'm not looking for this sort of thing from anyone but myself to this degree, but more along the lines of two others that other people have said:
1) I read of an American mathematician who happened to be in Germany when he ran across another mathematician who lived on the same block in Indiana when they were children, not having known each other then (with a mutual friend as a part of the story).
2) I was told of an occasion when someone lost a prescription contact lens while travelling, and the first person he spoke to was a woman who just happened to have an extra pair with one missing, and the lens was a good match.

So, don't worry about being believed. We here won't take anybody's word for it anyway.

I won't be responding here this week--I have a number of obligations including a long-ass post on pure number coincidences--but I'll be reading what's said if anything.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Someone » Jun 20, 2012 2:23 am

Remark on phone number part: The number in question is the one I used to learn to use a phone almost 45 years ago (with my female cousin and I sharing time not talking mostly, as I recall), and is now unavailable for my use downstairs in a re-divided house. It was originally at the house on the same block as the church I have now wasted what seems like an eon on a game (chess) I don't even regard as my favorite game, and I am not really all that into games (just stuck in a social rut or bad habit, from today's perspective). I had characterized it as my phone number now only. I don't know exactly how this fits in with the coincidences, but since I just directed somebody local to me to this thread it made sense to fix it.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Someone wrote:Later. Just say "Ahem! Post #85 of your 3-coincidences thread" if it appears I have spent 3 hours on each of 3 other threads. I only have public computer use, so b-bye.

I missed this one, Someone.

I take it that this is Someone-speak for 'I'm not answering'?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#91  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Is it a coincidence that Someone tends to make threads like these? Is it a coincidence that a blog would be a more suitable location for such... musings? Is it a coincidence that I am misusing the word coincidence?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#92  Postby CookieJon » Jun 29, 2012 1:35 pm

1. We have ten fingers, and our maths is base 10, suggesting both we and mathematics itself were designed for ease of counting to 10 on ones fingers.

2. It always rains at the end of a drought, suggesting a deliberate failsafe mechanism designed to keep the weather running properly.

3. Water freezes at 0 degrees, and boils at 100 degrees - a design so elegant as to suggest a deliberate sign from the designer... His "signature", if you like.
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Someone » Jun 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Someone wrote:Later. Just say "Ahem! Post #85 of your 3-coincidences thread" if it appears I have spent 3 hours on each of 3 other threads. I only have public computer use, so b-bye.

I missed this one, Someone.

I take it that this is Someone-speak for 'I'm not answering'?

No. I, for instance, have made a start to editing the lead today to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox . I believe we have discussed (or I have mentioned, etc.) that my use of 'hegemony' regarding 'The Zoo Hypothesis' has come up. It's Someone-speak for I am generally busier offline but do not necessarily prefer that and would someone hook me up. Bombshell, however, is I really want to read and translate a certain book by early August into a language I currently only know (that I know) the word for 'suicide' in. I am not deserting you, Mr. chucker.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Regina » Jun 29, 2012 1:47 pm

CookieJon wrote:1. We have ten fingers, and our maths is base 10, suggesting both we and mathematics itself were designed for ease of counting to 10 on ones fingers.

2. It always rains at the end of a drought, suggesting a deliberate failsafe mechanism designed to keep the weather running properly.

3. Water freezes at 0 degrees, and boils at 100 degrees - a design so elegant as to suggest a deliberate sign from the designer... His "signature", if you like.

You missed the most spectacular one: there are always as many news items as will fit into any given news programme, newspaper or magazine.
Spooky, isn't it?
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 29, 2012 1:54 pm

CookieJon wrote:1. We have ten fingers, and our maths is base 10, suggesting both we and mathematics itself were designed for ease of counting to 10 on ones fingers.

And it takes exactly 1 year for the Earth to go round the Sun!

Shhhpookeh!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#96  Postby Someone » Jun 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Okay. You take care here. I am into zipcodes. wonder if it's to become a history. had no news on that lately, and my postman acting a little concerned. Can not have that! Got to make the postman happy. 'Specially dis place. And now guy's behind me complaining loudly about flooding his property area. [non sequiturs included]
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Someone » Nov 13, 2013 12:16 am

This is just an over-due, in my opinion, request for new attempts at fulfilling my request here.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#98  Postby theropod » Nov 13, 2013 1:01 am

The dead thread revival movement is sadness exemplified.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#99  Postby Matthew Shute » Nov 13, 2013 2:54 am

Psst! Everyone, take a look at Someone's posts here, and then look at Someone's posts over here. Notice the eerily similar writing style, of the posts here and the posts over there. Notice the similar information content from post to post, both here and over there.

Coincidence? It's almost as though - and this almost too incredible to contemplate - that the author of these rambling and incoherent sets of words and numbers, signifying nothing, is the same person in both cases!

:o
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Someone » Jun 29, 2016 1:02 am

I can't really say they aren't rambling and incoherent if that's what they are to you; but, at any rate, you are correct to my knowledge that nobody has posted in my place. Best wishes.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural