XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

#561  Postby Mazille » Aug 15, 2013 1:43 pm

Ironclad wrote:Hi Maz :wave:

:wave:

Ironclad wrote:Xbone Live to resurrect Blake's 7, the cult UK Sci-fi show.

Microsoft is to fund a remake of cult BBC sci-fi series Blake's 7 for broadcast on its Xbox Live service, according to reports.

The Financial Times said its sources had confirmed the technology giant would fund development, but had not commissioned a full series.

The show's producer refused to comment, describing the story as "rumours".

:popcorn:

:dunno:
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#562  Postby Ironclad » Aug 15, 2013 1:51 pm

:tehe:
It was a very popular show, like Dr Who. Wobbly sets & rubbish special effects, brilliant!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#563  Postby Animavore » Aug 20, 2013 3:47 pm

Apparently the XBOX is launching with FIFA 14 free for pre-orders.

Also, some good XBOX news for once. All MP will have dedicated servers. Now that is good.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#564  Postby Animavore » Nov 22, 2013 5:44 pm

However, one of the key features of Xbox One – voice control – will not available be Ireland for several months for technical reasons.

http://www.independent.ie/business/tech ... 74348.html

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#565  Postby purplerat » Nov 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Animavore wrote:
However, one of the key features of Xbox One – voice control – will not available be Ireland for several months for technical reasons.

http://www.independent.ie/business/tech ... 74348.html

Lol, kind of like when the original Kinect couldn't see black people.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#566  Postby Animavore » Nov 22, 2013 5:56 pm

Really?

:rofl:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#567  Postby tuco » Nov 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Can anyone explain this article:

Microsoft explains how Xbox One importing could work - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... could-work

?

In particular:

"You can use one of the 13 digital marketplaces corresponding to our launch markets, assuming you have a valid payment instrument for those countries. Lots of people in Europe specifically travel, move, and visit family," he continued before slyly adding "Now, of course, if you were using Pre-Paid cards..."

I have VISA and PayPal .. what Pre-Paid cards? MS points or whatever it was called are no more and prices are in local currency on my XBox.

"That said, there needs to be a valid payment method corresponding to a supported launch country in order for any transactions to occur over Xbox Live, and some content may not be accessible outside launch markets due to geographic content restrictions imposed by content right holders."

I still dont get it. I was searching around net for actual experiences of those outside of launch regions who imported XBox One, but I have not found anything except citation of above kind and speculations.

Let's say, my FIFA 14 is digital download. Will I be able to download it if I am not located in release region? If my console is imported from Germany, will my XBox Marketplace be "German"? Or will I be able to play only retail games?

I should find soon enough, though the German guy sent it on 23rd not 22nd as advertised .. so much for punktlich .., but I do not understand. The only thing I understand that "content right holders" are probably a bunch of cunts.
tuco

Print view this post

#568  Postby tuco » Nov 26, 2013 7:46 am

Xbox One TV integration suffers noticeable judder in UK

Website HDTVTest.co.uk first flagged up the problem, which occurs when you run a live TV feed from your set-top box, such as a Freeview HD, Sky or Virgin Media box, into Microsoft's console using the HDMI-in port.

The UK and Europe use a 50Hz broadcasting system. The Xbox One outputs at 60Hz, so if you feed it a 50Hz HDMI source, one out of every six frames will be a duplicate, causing judder.

Digital Foundry's Richard Leadbetter told us the following:

"Assuming the reports are true, this represents a significant issue Microsoft has to address. Displaying 50Hz video at 60Hz means that every sixth frame will be a duplicate, resulting in noticeable judder on a lot of material - scrolling text on news channels, fast pans in TV and movies, and the left to right sweep of the camera in football matches."

[snip]

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... dder-in-uk
---

Noobs
tuco

Print view this post

#569  Postby Animavore » Dec 16, 2013 11:08 am

I finally got to play the XBox last night.

The good - Forza and Killer Instinct were awesome.
The meh - The user interface, not as great as people make out. It's Windows 8, basically. The Kinect was fun for a bit until it started acting funny and my arms got tired. It takes a few goes of slapping your hand out to get it to press a button.
The bad - It takes ages to do anything.
The ugly - The XBone controller is horrible. I'm not sure why people rave about this thing, calling it the "gamer's choice" etc. I dunno, maybe the 360 joypad was better, but this one is badly designed. They've lined your hands up with the trigger buttons meaning you've to raise and stretch your fingers up and over the shoulder buttons. Compare this with the new Playstation joypad where they've lined you hands up with the shoulder buttons so that you've to drop your fingers to the triggers. This makes much more sense because it works with how your fingers want to go. It wasn't too bad playing Forza and Killer Instinct because they didn't rely on the shoulder buttons, but for a game like Dark Souls where the shoulders are the primary buttons it's going to be cramp city out there.
And let's not talk about the d-pad on that yoke.
I did like the rumble in the triggers, though.

All-in-all it's not a bad system, and I'm sure XBox fans will enjoy it, their fingers may even get used to stretching, but I feel the PS4 out-performs it in every way for speed, accessibility, simplicity and comfort. Though overall I think it's going to be the games which decide which system will be the better in the end, so still a way to go yet.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#570  Postby Animavore » Dec 16, 2013 6:01 pm

It turns out it's all my fault. I was using the controller wrong.

The Xbox One controller’s shoulder buttons are actually well designed (you can read about the creation of the Xbox One controller in our four-part series about the device), you just need to know how to use them. It looks like most people are reaching with their whole finger to push in on the meat of the button with the tip of their fingers. That is difficult. The button has a lot of resistance when you press it on the top, but that’s not where you are supposed to press it.

Watch the video at the top of this post to see what I’m talking about.

You should never reach over to press the bumper with your whole finger. In fact, on Xbox One, you should barely move your finger at all. Instead, you should rest your index fingers on the triggers at all times, and then squeeze in your middle knuckle to hit the bumper.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#571  Postby willhud9 » Dec 16, 2013 6:35 pm

That is a dumb mechanism honestly. Just make the bumper easy to squeeze. :scratch:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#572  Postby Animavore » Dec 16, 2013 6:39 pm

It's one thing to use the joypad that way when you're playing FPS and you only really use the shoulder buttons for lobbing grenades, but in games like Dark Souls, where four-fingering the top buttons is essential to play your best, it's going to be a pain in the arse.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#573  Postby purplerat » Dec 16, 2013 6:40 pm

I'd have to try it before saying it was dumb or not but just from watching the video that seems pretty much how I would do it anyways. I wouldn't want the bumper too easy to squeeze as that could lead to accidental button presses which I have have a problem with at times with the 360 controller. Ideally it should be easy enough to press when you want it but not something you can accidentally hit easily.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#574  Postby willhud9 » Dec 16, 2013 7:02 pm

I never had problems with the 360 controller, but I know for a fact that I much prefer just moving my finger up and tapping the bumper than squeezing my knuckle to press it especially because I'd end up squeezing the trigger as well.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#575  Postby purplerat » Dec 16, 2013 7:13 pm

I definitely prefer resting my finger on the trigger and either moving it up to the bumper or rolling it up as opposed to keeping my fingers on the bumper and pulling them down to the trigger. Sony going to triggers on the Dualshock 4 is a big improvement over the dual should/bumpers on previous Dualshock controllers.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#576  Postby willhud9 » Dec 16, 2013 7:45 pm

I guess this could be why I don't really like controllers. My favourite controller has been either the Gamecube witch its many functions and buttons or the N64's.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#577  Postby mraltair » Dec 16, 2013 11:24 pm

willhud9 wrote:I never had problems with the 360 controller, but I know for a fact that I much prefer just moving my finger up and tapping the bumper than squeezing my knuckle to press it especially because I'd end up squeezing the trigger as well.

I'm the same. I can see accidently pressing the bumper in tense moments to be common. Although, I've not held the XBone controller yet.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#578  Postby DoctorE » Dec 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Ok, I got the Xbox One for xmas.. and I have to say that it is very nice, the kid loves it :)
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#579  Postby Mazille » Mar 01, 2014 9:18 pm

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... nce-Update

Well. I remember being called paranoid for warning against just that.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#580  Postby BlackBart » Mar 02, 2014 11:08 am

Mazille wrote:http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.843611-Microsoft-Kinect-Almost-a-Spy-Tool-for-British-Intelligence-Update

Well. I remember being called paranoid for warning against just that.

I'm sure GCHQ will have hours of fun reviewing the videos of me scratching, farting and eating crisps. :shifty:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games