President Trump Watch.

Election is over

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: President Trump Watch.

#41  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 10, 2016 12:21 pm

Animavore wrote:That Trump will ban Muslims has disappeared from his website.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 08466.html

Also this snippet:

After speculation rose that Melania Trump did not not complete her university degree, her biography page was taken down and started to redirect to Mr Trump’s golf course.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#42  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Nov 10, 2016 12:32 pm

Animavore wrote:Trump appoints climate denialist to lead EPA transition (read; dismantling).

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ransition/

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 10, 2016 12:36 pm

You have not seen anything yet.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby WayOfTheDodo » Nov 10, 2016 12:39 pm

Animavore wrote:

Ah yes. Carve out the natural resources to all this pals like the Koch Brothers. Go full steam ahead with pipelines through native lands. Deregulate. Cut red tape for the FDA, ie; deregulation for Big Pharma so they can pump out unapproved drugs. And so on....

But... But... Trump is anti-Wall Street. Am I right?

:rofl:

You've been fucking duped!

Yeah, Trump is an Establishment man and will cater to the interests of the rich and powerful who keep screwing over regular people. There are some promising things in there, though:

• a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;
  • a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;
  • a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.
  • I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership
  • Clean up Corruption in Washington Act. Enacts new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.
WayOfTheDodo

Name: Raphus Cucullatus

Mauritius (mu)
Print view this post

#45  Postby lofuji » Nov 10, 2016 12:45 pm

The American electorate has just performed a collective blowjob on a .44 Magnum. I don't know whether to be horrified or whether to simply sit back and watch the show. Schadenfreude is a wonderful thing.
Blog: The View from Fanling (mostly bollocks, but some posts may be of interest).
...the emperor's cavalry on parade
lofuji

Name: Dennis Hodgson

Print view this post

#46  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 10, 2016 1:17 pm

The show will come to you. The moment the economic and environmental shit hits the fan, the Trumpenführer will make an excuse to launch World War III. Probably some crap about "liberating Europe from Sharia" or some other such bullshit. Prior to turning Europe into lava along with much of the rest of the world.

You're about to see the end of English speaking civilisation as we know it. It's about to disappear up its rectal passage in a frenzy of fascist masturbation. Now would be a good time to start learning Russian or Chinese, because the two nations in question will be divvying up the remains between them. Russia is big enough to survive World War III, and China will probably make it through as well, but the West is fucked. I never thought I would find myself typing those words, but right now, that's where I regard the evidence as pointing. Bye bye Western Civilisation, it was nice knowing you. I dread to think what will replace it.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby smudge » Nov 10, 2016 2:00 pm

Perhaps what is more important is that the Left come up with a cohesive narrative to counter the rise of this Right wing populism across the globe.
Meanwhile oppose Trump whenever possible in the hope his power id dulled. I dunno. :( Maybe he'll get hit by a bus.
We could chip in and buy a bus.... :grin:
smudge

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Alan B » Nov 10, 2016 2:11 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:Yeah, Trump is an Establishment man and will cater to the interests of the rich and powerful who keep screwing over regular people. There are some promising things in there, though:

• a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;
  • a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;
  • a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.
  • I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership
  • Clean up Corruption in Washington Act. Enacts new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.
Yes. I thought those were interesting as well. We could copy those ideas in the UK. The 'Revolving Door' between ex-government employees and industry is rife here, together with 'Special Interest', er, 'lobbying'.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 10, 2016 2:12 pm

Letter from Aaron Sorkin (mind behind The West Wing) to his daughter:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/11/aaron-sorkin-donald-trump-president-letter-daughter?mbid=social_facebook
Sorkin Girls,

Well the world changed late last night in a way I couldn’t protect us from. That’s a terrible feeling for a father. I won’t sugarcoat it—this is truly horrible. It’s hardly the first time my candidate didn’t win (in fact it’s the sixth time) but it is the first time that a thoroughly incompetent pig with dangerous ideas, a serious psychiatric disorder, no knowledge of the world and no curiosity to learn has.

Second, we get out of bed. The Trumpsters want to see people like us (Jewish, “coastal elites,” educated, socially progressive, Hollywood…) sobbing and wailing and talking about moving to Canada. I won’t give them that and neither will you. Here’s what we’ll do…

…we’ll fucking fight. (Roxy, there’s a time for this kind of language and it’s now.) We’re not powerless and we’re not voiceless. We don’t have majorities in the House or Senate but we do have representatives there. It’s also good to remember that most members of Trump’s own party feel exactly the same way about him that we do. We make sure that the people we sent to Washington—including Kamala Harris—take our strength with them and never take a day off.

We get involved. We do what we can to fight injustice anywhere we see it—whether it’s writing a check or rolling up our sleeves. Our family is fairly insulated from the effects of a Trump presidency so we fight for the families that aren’t. We fight for a woman to keep her right to choose. We fight for the First Amendment and we fight mostly for equality—not for a guarantee of equal outcomes but for equal opportunities. We stand up.

The battle isn’t over, it’s just begun. Grandpa fought in World War II and when he came home this country handed him an opportunity to make a great life for his family. I will not hand his granddaughter a country shaped by hateful and stupid men. Your tears last night woke me up, and I’ll never go to sleep on you again.

Love,

Dad
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 10, 2016 2:14 pm

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
[*]a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;

This one is ludicrous imo.

WayOfTheDodo wrote:
[*]Clean up Corruption in Washington Act. Enacts new ethics reforms to Drain the Swamp and reduce the corrupting influence of special interests on our politics.[/list]

This one is sounds intentionally vague, in an Orwellian sense.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 10, 2016 2:16 pm

To do list for Democracts by Michael Moore:

Morning After To-Do List:

1. Take over the Democratic Party and return it to the people. They have failed us miserably.

2. Fire all pundits, predictors, pollsters and anyone else in the media who had a narrative they wouldn't let go of and refused to listen to or acknowledge what was really going on. Those same bloviators will now tell us we must "heal the divide" and “come together.” They will pull more hooey like that out of their ass in the days to come. Turn them off.

3. Any Democratic member of Congress who didn’t wake up this morning ready to fight, resist and obstruct in the way Republicans did against President Obama every day for eight full years must step out of the way and let those of us who know the score lead the way in stopping the meanness and the madness that's about to begin.

4. Everyone must stop saying they are “stunned” and “shocked.” What you mean to say is that you were in a bubble and weren’t paying attention to your fellow Americans and their despair. YEARS of being neglected by both parties, the anger and the need for revenge against the system only grew. Along came a TV star they liked whose plan was to destroy both parties and tell them all “You're fired!” Trump’s victory is no surprise. He was never a joke. Treating him as one only strengthened him. He is both a creature and a creation of the media and the media will never own that.

5. You must say this sentence to everyone you meet today: “HILLARY CLINTON WON THE POPULAR VOTE!” The MAJORITY of our fellow Americans preferred Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump. Period. Fact. If you woke up this morning thinking you live in an effed-up country, you don’t. The majority of your fellow Americans wanted Hillary, not Trump. The only reason he’s president is because of an arcane, insane 18th-century idea called the Electoral College. Until we change that, we’ll continue to have presidents we didn’t elect and didn’t want. You live in a country where a majority of its citizens have said they believe there’s climate change, they believe women should be paid the same as men, they want a debt-free college education, they don’t want us invading countries, they want a raise in the minimum wage and they want a single-payer true universal health care system. None of that has changed. We live in a country where the majority agree with the “liberal” position. We just lack the liberal leadership to make that happen (see: #1 above). Let's try to get this all done by noon today. -- Michael Moore
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#52  Postby chairman bill » Nov 10, 2016 2:39 pm

And that's why the Democrats should have run with Bernie Sanders, not Clinton.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 10, 2016 2:39 pm

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Caper » Nov 10, 2016 2:52 pm

Thanks ES.

Make America (and the world) Smart Again - starting with understanding how con artists work!
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 10, 2016 3:07 pm

Caper wrote:Thanks ES.

Make America (and the world) Smart Again - starting with understanding how con artists work!

Who's ES? :?
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#56  Postby NamelessFaceless » Nov 10, 2016 3:37 pm

NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Sendraks » Nov 10, 2016 3:48 pm

chairman bill wrote:And that's why the Democrats should have run with Bernie Sanders, not Clinton.

Yes but, as others here have already analysed in detail, Bernie should have run a better campaign to engage with voters. His campaign was actually pretty poor at the "feet on the ground" engagement and his support mainly came from those already signed up to Bernie's message. Sure the DNC didn't help matters but, its clear Bernie didn't run as robust a campaign as he could have.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby purplerat » Nov 10, 2016 3:53 pm

Sendraks wrote:
chairman bill wrote:And that's why the Democrats should have run with Bernie Sanders, not Clinton.

Yes but, as others here have already analysed in detail, Bernie should have run a better campaign to engage with voters. His campaign was actually pretty poor at the "feet on the ground" engagement and his support mainly came from those already signed up to Bernie's message. Sure the DNC didn't help matters but, its clear Bernie didn't run as robust a campaign as he could have.

I think one of Bernie's biggest weaknesses in the general election, ironically so, is that he likely would have been too policy/issues focused. This election was not about policy.

I think there was a moment when Clinton could have gone for the kill on Trump on character and she played it safe (a constant problem for her) and that was a huge mistake. Bernie showed from the beginning that he was never interested in going that route.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Sendraks » Nov 10, 2016 4:11 pm

I think you're right on the policy/issues focus but, Bernie's advantage would have been being perceived as more of an "outsider" than Hilary but, with the advantages of a long career, experience and without all the nastiness and suspicion that surrounded Hilary.

Whether he would've changed the tone of the campaign away from something quite so vitriolic and soundbite focused, we won't ever know. Whether he might have incentivised more people to get out and vote for the DNC, leading to a different result, we won't ever know.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#60  Postby Scot Dutchy » Nov 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Imagine the attacks on Bernie's health and the lack of achievement.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs